Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 20, 2007, 4:00 PM   #11
Administrator

labrat99 wrote:
Quote:
Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
Each new Forum slows the whole site down. Plus, concert images make up a very low % of the total images shown. Your best bet is to post a thread for those interested in concert photography.
I admit concert shooting is a niche...but you've got a forum on here dedicated to tripods...and I find it hard to believe that it "slows the whole site down".
Every forum added must be indexed whenever someone pulls up the default forum page so yes, it does slow things down. Many existing forums have been here since day one and if I had my way a lot of them would be gone. This software was not written to efficiently handle as many forums as we now have so I am in no rush to add any new ones.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 7:01 PM   #12

Folks-- did not mean to raise any hackles with my tiny suggestion, I'm just not aware of all the issues involved in a site like this. I'm extremely appreciative to Steve and mods for the smooth running of this place, and this is really no big deal to me either way. But comments like:

"How about you start you own web site/forum on concert photos and model/glamour."

"If you don't like it, start your own site."

...are just downright rude & unfriendly, especially from a moderator.

'nuff said.
Scotious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 7:51 PM   #13

My apologizes...didn't mean to sound rude. This has been a blue-ribbon day for all variations of SPAMMERS! Our goal is to catch & correct problems on the Forums before Steve has to get involved (he's got a lot on his plate already, but it's not been so easy today).
Old Feb 20, 2007, 8:07 PM   #14

Hey, K., no worries. Sorry to have added to the burden. Now go take some photos, eh? Yours (and your beauties) are some of the best!
Old Feb 20, 2007, 8:27 PM   #15

Kalypso,

I wasn't trying to provoke you or anyone else; your original answer just did not make sense to me. The "forums" table should be really small; one row for each forum. I didn't see how making changes to it could slow the site down. So I found the system admin guide for wowbb and did a little reading on the topic.

They don't specifically discuss adding a forum (and don't mention ANY limits on how many forums one can have) but they do state that when a forum is deleted the search index is rebuilt. This is a large forum with a lot of messages so I can definitely see where that could take a while if it does the same thing when a new forum is added. It should not be a permanent slowdown, but I could definitely see where it would slow down while the index is being recreated and you guys who are on here all the time would probably be the ones who would notice that sort of thing more than the average user.

This isn't my site or my forums and I would't presume to tell the moderaters or the owner how to run it. It's your call, all we can do is ask and/or make suggestions.

Having said all that, I'd like you and/or Steve's feedback. Where in your opinion is the best place among the forums that you currently have to post concert pics? I do a lot of that type of shooting and would like to post some on a regular basis.

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
My apologizes...didn't mean to sound rude. This has been a blue-ribbon day for all variations of SPAMMERS! Our goal is to catch & correct problems on the Forums before Steve has to get involved (he's got a lot on his plate already, but it's not been so easy today).
labrat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 8:35 PM   #16

Scotius,

Lost in the crossfire...I really like the picture that you posted above. I tend to aim for the "documentary" or "portrait" style in my pics. I need to work more on getting a better eye for the "artistic" shots that show some action like the one you posted.

When we find a "home" on here, I'd be glad to trade tips, feedback, C&C, whatever with you.
labrat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:00 AM   #17

The best Forum for concert photos would be the "People Photos" Forum (as long as there's people in it). If you want to share techniques & such, maybe start a thread like "Concert Shooting Techniques"....just be sure to include an image in the original post.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 3:11 PM   #18

hey, thanks, labratt, I kind of like that photo, too, but it was a total accident. What I'm really trying to figure out is the best setting on my Oly UZ770 to use for shooting in these often low light situations. Blurry I can get. sharp is not that easy. It always seems like there is a lot of light, and to the eye, there is, but not to my camera, whose fastes ASA is 400.

And, Kalypso:

-- We Know About The People Forum--

That's where we *have* been posting! We get it!

>>The best Forum for concert photos would be the "People Photos"<<
Old Feb 22, 2007, 3:49 PM   #19

Scotious wrote:
Quote:
hey, thanks, labratt, I kind of like that photo, too, but it was a total accident. What I'm really trying to figure out is the best setting on my Oly UZ770 to use for shooting in these often low light situations. Blurry I can get. sharp is not that easy. It always seems like there is a lot of light, and to the eye, there is, but not to my camera, whose fastes ASA is 400.

And, Kalypso:

-- We Know About The People Forum--

That's where we *have* been posting! We get it!

>>The best Forum for concert photos would be the "People Photos"<<
I was answering a question posted by labratt. You just feeling rude yourself?
Old Feb 22, 2007, 5:11 PM   #20

(slinking away sheepishly)

Yes- you're right. I didn't read far enough. Please accept *my* apology (and may this thread die a nice quiet death...)