Default new pictures for my site

Hi friends, I got some new pictures!
take a look

Pedro Rodrigues
http://www.pedro.dk3.com
Sabbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2003, 9:56 PM   #12

Pedro,

At the risk of ending up on your s__t list here are a few words from my experience with this Public discussion Forum over the last six or more months.

1) First thing, in general your pictures are really good. True some aren't exhbition quality but that comes with practice, practice and lots of practice. I'm still practicing.

2) Try using another of Steve's forum rather than "General Q&A". If you look further down in Steve's Forum Index you should have seen the areas titled "Landscapes, People etc. The major advantage here is that you can reference one or a few shots in these areas and have folks critique them for better or worse. I've now have a very thick skin from the hints, critiques etc. people have given me.

3) It is difficult to scan thru all of your photos as you present them now especially if like many folks they have a telephone modem connection. By using other special interest forums and then asking for opinions on selected shots I think you gain to learn a lot more. Also, you reduce the anger/criticism from the folks who are using telephone modems.

4) Right now I'm trying to recall some of your photos that I can comment on without having to switch back and forth between your site and this forum.

5) The flower with the bee is great. Composition and of course timing - insects can be very tricky - result in a great picture.

6) In the flower section, you tend to take either full face or side view only (The small purple flowers and the bee shots are notable exceptions.) Tilt the flowers a bit more or the camera so that you see a bit of the inside of the flower when you take a side shot. The second flower which is a side shot of the first is a a good outline but it doesn't seem to draw the viewer in and say, "look at me."

7) In your historic buildings the one of the church is great. This is where the quality of the G3 lens really shines. Sharp, no visible distortion, good composition and lighting make a great shot.

8) In "Places" the one of the outline of the building (red roof and steeple) suffers a bit from being too bright. That is very difficult to correct for unless you can sit there all day until the lighting conditions are just right.

Hope this helps. Again, simply too many pictures to critique in one thread.

Aloha, Selvin
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2003, 10:40 PM   #13

Hi Selvin
thank's a lot for your words
as I was reading your post i realised you are totaly right.
what i'm i doing in general Q&A forum?
about the pictures, thank's for the tips, i really need to learn a lot and need the help of those who know photography.
The "red roof and steeple" picture is really too bright and i need to enhance my macro performance. I hope to see any difference between the actual pictures and the ones to come.
about the site organics, i know it suck, but i just aint got patience and time to change it, or ideas!
Thanks again.

best regards
Pedro Rodrigues
Old Jul 20, 2003, 10:43 PM   #14

By the way!
Your pictures are awsome Selvin!!
great work
Old Jul 23, 2003, 4:48 AM   #15

Hi Sabbath, I to am an amatuer, and hope to progress to setting up my own site someday as you have. The photos look great though I cannot offer any critisism because of my limited experience. I love to view others photos, but here is where my critisism comes in. I, and most folks do not want to wait for long periods of time trying to view a web page. I managed to view 4 of your photos before I gave up, and went on to the next site. It just took to long for the photos to load. The photographers you wish to give advice will also find it slow, and some are likely to pass you by because of this. Here again, I have no experience with web sites so have no advice in this area either, but you may want to take some of the advice allready given so your site will opperate more smoothly, and more folks will give you thier time. Wih DSL connections loading pages in seconds, most of us have become very impatient wiating for pages to load. I do have a professional photographer friend, and will have him take a look at your photos. He is on dial up so may not notice the time it takes to load the photos. Overall nice photos as far as my inexperienced eye is concerned, Just need to spend your next photo shooting day at the computer instead of behind the camera. :lol: Take care, and best of luck
Tuberocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2003, 8:07 AM   #16

If I can make another comment on that fact, if you have too many pictures on one page and they are slow to load (too large in KB), they will time out and the viewer will get a bunch of 'X's on the page instead of your pictures...that will make you look bad, and the viewer will not want to stay in your site.

Although you may have high speed, you still have to program sites for dialup modems...they are still the most used method of the average person to get online!
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2003, 8:16 AM   #17

Hi friends, i don't want anybody to leave my site because of long access time, but i don't know what else to do. At the begining the average picture size was 300 kb, i used some jpg compression and now the average size is 120 kb. According to your experience what size you think is better to achieve fast access times? Is the second page with all the thumbnails and themes also hard to access?
thanks guys

best regards
Pedro Rodrigues
Portugal
Old Jul 23, 2003, 8:43 AM   #18

We're talking about the thumbnails being slow to load, not your final pictures! Repeating what I said above, "the page is too long, too much scrolling down...personally I would like to see something like Pbase uses, each category listed and a sample picture from each...if I want to see the rest of the category I can then click the sample. And again you may want to make the words hotlinked as well."

Right now your thumbnails are ~20K, that's 10K too large...you can get them down to 5-10K.

On your main page you show every thumbnail you have in every category, and when I click on a thumbnail I see the SAME EXACT thumbails I saw on the previous page...this is a wasted step! If you're going to show every thumbnail on your category page (IMO a mistake) have it directly hotlinked to the picture...not a page showing the exact same thumbnails I just saw. The better way (again using Pbase as an example) is pick one picture that represents each category, and only show that on your main page with the category description...then if the person wants to see the rest of the thumbnails in that category they click and then they get the page with the rest of the thumbnails in that description.

I'm not saying to copy exactly what Pbase does, but they are a good example, here's my Pbase page:
http://www.pbase.com/mikefellh
I have four main categories, one picture representing each category. When you decide which one you want to enter, then you see the rest of the thumbnails in that category. Then if the person wants to see the final image they can click (and wait) for a large, high quality. If you really want, you can even add options with each thumbnail if they want to see a medium resolution picture, or the higest quality with the sizes listed (both resolution and K)...then the viewer can choose to wait for the download if they think it's worth it.

If a person has to wait for a page to load, they won't be around long.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2003, 9:10 AM   #19

Mike, try to access the site!
is there any difference?
is it a little bit faster?

Pedro Rodrigues
Braga-Portugal
Old Jul 23, 2003, 12:57 PM   #20

Pedro,

As we would say in Hawaii 'mo bettah!.

Great tweaking, the loading is much faster....

Keep clicking away.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote