Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 18, 2007, 12:01 PM   #1

Some of my photos are going on display. I was told I needed to get my photo's blown up some. I did them in 5 by 7 and have framed them. I also needed to get some business cards. I mad emy own business cards but have yet to get them printed. I'm now sure if I like the business card or if there should be more information on it. I need to do a write up about myself (which is very hard to do). I have no clue what to say. Plus I need to do a write up about my photo's. and give them a caption. I have done most of this. with the exception of my write up and getting my business cards printed.

Heres my business card. What do you think?

Attached Images

Dap_photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2007, 12:43 PM   #2

imo:

simple is better

the a - A is distracting (can't say why)

the email address states your occupation

(attachment deleted as per D. Perry)

bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 2:08 PM   #3

bernabeu wrote:
Quote:
imo:

simple is better

the a - A is distracting (can't say why)

the email address states your occupation
I did NOT ask you to change my card. I askedwhat you though of it. I do not likeanyone changing my photo's or anything I have made withoutmy permission. To meit's just as bad as stealing. You have taken my business card and saved it to your computer to change it. Who is to say you won't take the design I made and use it as your own. (I'm not saying that you will)

As you can probably tell this has happened to me before.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 5:27 PM   #4

Dana, please realize that it's a common practice in this community to make alterations for demonstration purposes to images posted on this site and few people would take any offense to it. Besides, the low resolution image you provided would hardly make for useful prints, anyone who has seen it could still have it saved to their hard drive and print it whether or not they've reposted it as bernabeu did, and if you were so concerned about it being used you could have watermarked it like every other professional photographer. If this has happened to you before, I'm surprised it never occured to you to take any precautions.

As far as the design goes, the photo looks nice enough, but it looks a lot like photos everyone with a camera has taken. You should probably use an image that is more in-line with the style of photography you would likely be hired to do.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 8:47 PM   #5

Nice way to get around the 'no selling' policy in these forums.

As to the card, how do you plan to print them? That's a lot of black ink.

Your name, the type of photography you do, and contact info is usually enough, but do list all the kinds of photography. The picture sort of leads one to look at the photog as a landscape shooter, and wouldn't get many hits for portraits, etc.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 9:19 PM   #6

Wow, just don't post anything in the critique forum if you feel this way about your work. Usually people here are just trying to help, especially when you are asking for help. If you are really worried about people steeling you photos, you should regisiter them with the copyright office. There is no limit to the number of images you can register at a timeas long as they are unpublished.Just copy them to a CD sized to 100 x 100 pixels and mail it to the copyright office. This is the only way you will be able tocollect statutory damages in cases of infringement. Sounds like I really know what I'm talking about, but just read an articalabout it otherwise I would have thought the copyright symbol would be all you really needed.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 10:21 PM   #7

Corpsy wrote:
Quote:
Dana, please realize that it's a common practice in this community to make alterations for demonstration purposes to images posted on this site and few people would take any offense to it. Besides, the low resolution image you provided would hardly make for useful prints, anyone who has seen it could still have it saved to their hard drive and print it whether or not they've reposted it as bernabeu did, and if you were so concerned about it being used you could have watermarked it like every other professional photographer. If this has happened to you before, I'm surprised it never occured to you to take any precautions.

As far as the design goes, the photo looks nice enough, but it looks a lot like photos everyone with a camera has taken. You should probably use an image that is more in-line with the style of photography you would likely be hired to do.
I am just starting out and unlike a lot of you do NOT have the experience or the money to get a program that will allow me to watermark my photos.

this business card does show my strong suit in photography. I can photograph children being themselves as well. But the display my photo's will be in is for local artist and it's about nature photo's.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 10:24 PM   #8

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
Nice way to get around the 'no selling' policy in these forums.

As to the card, how do you plan to print them? That's a lot of black ink.

Your name, the type of photography you do, and contact info is usually enough, but do list all the kinds of photography. The picture sort of leads one to look at the photog as a landscape shooter, and wouldn't get many hits for portraits, etc.

brian
I'm either going to print them myself on either card stock paper or on photo paper. Or I'm going to have a family friend print them for me.

Btw: What do you mean by "Nice way to get around the 'no selling' policy in these forums" that?
Old Feb 18, 2007, 10:29 PM   #9

Caboose wrote:
Quote:
Wow, just don't post anything in the critique forum if you feel this way about your work. Usually people here are just trying to help, especially when you are asking for help. If you are really worried about people steeling you photos, you should regisiter them with the copyright office. There is no limit to the number of images you can register at a timeas long as they are unpublished.Just copy them to a CD sized to 100 x 100 pixels and mail it to the copyright office. This is the only way you will be able tocollect statutory damages in cases of infringement. Sounds like I really know what I'm talking about, but just read an articalabout it otherwise I would have thought the copyright symbol would be all you really needed.
I didn't ask for help. I asked what people think about my card. Had I asked for help with my card I wouldn't be so upset. A simple post about what is disliked or what is liked was enough. Then I could have gone and tried it out myself. Personelly I like having my middle initial in there. So that is 1 thing I will NOT change.

Where did you read the article? and How do I go about doing this?
Old Feb 19, 2007, 4:08 AM   #10

You didn't ask what people thought about your attitude...good thing.

Hope you never have to deal with people in your business.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote