Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 21, 2007, 6:43 AM   #1

hi,

New Canon camera's such as the powershot G6 have a feature called reverse disp. Does anyone know much about this feature and whether or not it horizontally inverts the image?

thanks

Jamie1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2007, 7:04 AM   #2

See http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/g6_pg4.html.

This allows you to flip the display on the electronic viewfinder. If you're holding the camera upside-down, the image in the viewfinder will be right-side-up. If you've got the Vari-AngleLCD Display articulated, the image will be right-side-up.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 5:50 PM   #3

hi, thanks for the reply but i really need to know if it horizontally inverts the image itself. After reading ur reply i'm guessing it doesn't, it only changes the orientation of the lcd image. Unfortunately this is no use to me.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 6:45 PM   #4

It inverts the image as it appears on the LCD viewfinder, not the image that is stored. Do you know of other cameras that will do what you need, and is there a reason you need to do it in the camera instead of in post processing?
Old Feb 23, 2007, 3:51 AM   #5

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Do you know of other cameras that will do what you need, and is there a reason you need to do it in the camera instead of in post processing?
Many cameras will put orientation tags on the JPEG file, so a viewer that sees them you will not have to rotate vert images each time to see them properly.

(Some P&S and most DSLR's I've seen... and most whether rotated left or right to vert..) can't say as I have ever tried upside down)
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 5:57 AM   #6

Yeah, but is that what Jamie1985is talking about?

"inverts the image" can mean a lot of different things.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 5:38 PM   #7

hi,

I appreciate all the replies so far and i'm sorryfor making myquestion unclear. I'm going to try my best to explain what i'm looking for.

I'm looking for adigital camera that inverts the imageprior toprocessing. I do have a good reason for this. I have looked at a lot of camera's, butunfortunately I still haven't found this feature on any of them. It's on a webcam that i own (logitech quickcam) andthis works perfectly. If i could find a digitalcamera with the same featurethat would be great!
Old Feb 27, 2007, 9:49 PM   #8

But when you say "invert" do you mean that it turns the image upside down, or that it turns the image into a negative (inverts the colors), or that it creates a mirror image, or what?
Old Mar 4, 2007, 11:27 AM   #9

On my webcam the feature is called 'Horizontal invert'. It seems to reverse the image in the horizontal direction. Thats all i know about it. Its nothing to do with changing the colours or anything like that.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 1:54 PM   #10

my logitech webcam has a similar feature. It's because people are more accustomed to seeing their mirror image than their actual appearance. On my computer, if i have it turned on, it will show me my mirror image, but i don't think that broadcasts to anyone else that way (otherwise, the image would look weird to THEM).

if you were to take a picture of yourself with a group with such a feature, you may be pleased with your appearance, but you'd find your friends all looked a bit off. I would assume that most digital camera manufacturers would avoid such a feature for that reason.
Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote