Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 17, 2002, 4:55 AM   #1

Default "point and shoot" or "manual"???

I am looking to purchase my first Digital camera and i'm new i suppose to
photography having never owned anything other than cheap basic 35mm models.

I really want a good zoom so its gotta be 3x ++ and at least 2 megapixels
so that i can print 7x5 copies.

This instantly draws me towards Fujifilm 2800Z (6x) and 2M.

My only worry is that this appears to be a point and click model and i'm
worried that a few months down the line i might regret not getting
a camera with manual adjustments.

But the big question is what do they do??

Manual Exposure, Apeture, Shutter Speeds, Sensitivity, F Values.
Are there anymore??

Where can I read up about what these all mean, how will they affect
my photographs.

Does a newbie like me need these facilities if I haven't got a clue
what any of them do?

And if i do need them, what good zoom camera will offer these
functions at a resonable price??

Thank you in advance for you help.

Regards

Mick Wall ([email protected])
Sheffield, England.
mickwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2002, 8:36 AM   #2

Olympus has the C 700 10X (going out model, but I think you can still find it) and the C720 8X replacement model. I looked at this camera but it was a little out of my price range or I would have probably bought it (700). I bought the Canon A40 (also looked at the comparable Olympus 520).

I'm happy with the camera, takes great outdoor pic's and I'm learning and getting better indoor with flash, and I've been sucessful starting on the manual features... I really wish I'd had the extra optical zoom. Don't consider digital zoom at all when making this decision, 3X digital zoom is not 3X optical zoom. If you take a lot of outdoor pictures, you'll want at least 3x (as I said I wish I had more).

As too the manual features, since you don't know anything but straight point and shoot, then what ever you get needs to have a good fully auto mode... but if I thought I spend the time to learn about lighting, aperture, shutter speeds, I'd get the option for some manual features. If I didn't think I'd take the time to learn, I'd just go fully auto like the Fugi. I think Kodak's are known for their easy of use and not too many manual feature options, but don't know about zoom. Is this right anyone?

I bought a fully auto digital as I didn't know anything about all the manual features. It took great pictures within it's limitation, but it wasn't long before I decided that I needed more control of at least the lighting and zoom capibilities.

For me the instant feedback of digital helped me to understand, at least to some extent, what I had done wrong. Light in the wrong place, subject in the wrong place, I moved, subject cut off, etc as I was never even able to take very good snap shots before it and I didn't understand why after the film was developed 2 weeks later. I'm not talking art here, just snaps that I wasn't ashamed to show people. IDigital is now helping me to learn how to use the manual settings that I do have on this camera. Everything you see in the LCD is not how its going to look when downloaded or printed, but it's a big improvement over no feedback at all for a novice like me. Since you don't know what you want, my advice (you know what that's worth) is I'd probably stick with the lower end $ cameras with the intention of replacing in a couple of years if I felt I needed more then. Even the people who know what they want and are paying big bucks for their cameras seem to be replacing them in this time frame... too many advances very quickely right now. AR
A Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2002, 9:52 AM   #3
lg

Quote:
having never owned anything other than cheap basic 35mm models...

I really want a good zoom so its gotta be 3x ++ and at least 2 megapixels
so that i can print 7x5 copies.

...getting a camera with manual adjustments...

But the big question is what do they do??

Manual Exposure, Apeture, Shutter Speeds, Sensitivity, F Values.
Are there anymore??

Does a newbie like me need these facilities if I haven't got a clue
what any of them do?

And if i do need them, what good zoom camera will offer these
functions at a resonable price??
The Olympus C-2100 has everything you want. If you're looking for a replacement for your old 35mm, it has the look and feel of what you are used to. It takes great pictures in automatic, and has all the other manual features you asked for.

Plus, it has a digitally stabilized 10x optical zoom, which will allow you to hand hold slow shutter speed shots even at 380mm! You can just use it as a "Point and Shoot" camera until you decide you want to try out the manual adjustments.

You can find one for $400-$500 on the Internet, and some Wal-Marts still have new ones for just under $500.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2002, 11:37 AM   #4

I second LGs choice, the Oly C2100uz is one of the finest 2mp cameras on the market. I have been shooting digital for five years and currently own the Canon D60, but on occasions still use the C2100.
If you can find the Oly B300 1.7 TC lens, it will give you 646mm with clear sharp pics hand held with the image stabilizer on the C2100.
Tom C is offline   Reply With Quote