Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 12, 2003, 8:10 AM   #1

Default seeking advice; a good camera with minimum shutterlag

Does such exist? A camera that starts really quick, minimum shutterlag in auto modus and good image quality. And the price somewere below E 650.-

I will use the camera for photo's of city at night, documenting rough concerts (low light much movement), street action. I'm not fixated on max pixels, but more than 4 milj would help to reframe running subjects. (and some manual option also and 16+ sec shutter )

After spelling out several camera sites (nowere a sort on shutterlag option..hint hint); It seems that the Sony F717 is the fastest with starting and shutterlag, but still a bit expensive (and the colors are however major improved still a bit Sony).

Any advice or should I 'buy a box of color pencils and come back next year'?
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2003, 12:32 PM   #2

Not sure on the current pricing, but the Olympus E10 will do what you want. It's a discontinued camera, but widely availalble and about $800 here in the states.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2003, 1:41 PM   #3

Thanks Lin. $ 800 is about E 800. It almost looks like a must have. Alas the weight and size is not something I would hold, operate and protect with 1 hand while standing in a dancing punk crowd.

I should have added no SLR, probably that also makes more sense with the cheap prize. (Although I would be thrilled to find a bargain Olympus E 10 somewere near me )
Old Jul 12, 2003, 4:18 PM   #4

The only down side is long exposures. Any of the current non removable lens dSLR's will have problems with a 15 second exposure because of excessive noise. The least expensive camera which can handle this is the Canon EOS-10D (about $1495 U.S.).

The Sony F717 has a great night shot and low to zero light focus ability for night use. The shutter lag is considerably greater than the E10, but it's somewhat compensated by the incredible laser holographic and infrared focus aids.

This would be a tough decision between the two. The E10 is a professional build with nearly instant autofocus and almost no perceptable shutter lag, but it won't focus in super low light as well as the F717 because of the F717's infrared and holographic focusing lights. A lot would depend on exactly how you intend to use it. By using the infrared focus aid, the subject will not be aware that you are planning to take a shot because it's invisible (the focus aid light). The red laser holographic light, which is menu driven, will light them up like a Christmas tree.

The E10's image and the Sony's image quality are similar. Both excellent cameras.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2003, 3:38 AM   #5

Mathilde uP - The best cameras concerning lag/focus currently availabe in the prosumer class are:

-Minolta 7Hi
-Olympus E-10/E-20
-Fuji s602

Additionally, please consider the SD-9 Sigma. While it is a SLR, it has recently plummeted in price to about $1000-1100 USD. A little more than you suggested you wish to spend, but a good camers none the less with fast AF. It doe shave poor low light peformance though, concerning noise.

-Chris
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2003, 8:54 PM   #6

Ha you put me on the right track Chris. I first ignored all Fuij cameras because of their interpolation. The s602 is indeed an atractive 3milj pixel camera. It has an outstanding 1600 iso performance (although limited resolution), and seems to be pretty fast.

Although the Olympus and Minolta colours and details are much better, I think I found my digital rock and roll sniper.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 3:17 AM   #7
Boo

If you're thinking of the 602, which would be an excellent choice of all-round camera to fit your criteria (it's 5 frame and other burst modes may also prove attractive for the type of work you cite) please see my live music portfolio for photos taken with the 602 at gigs. I never use flash (well, hardly ever) so all are taken with available light. There's also a tutorial on the site for using the 602 at low light - it has a reputation for being inferior in this area, but with technique and practice the reported problems are certainly surmountable.

See http://www.boo-photos.co.uk
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 3:53 AM   #8

You could try the Casio qv-r4 http://www.casio.co.uk/digitalcameras/qv_r/, this has a 0.01 second shutter lag. I'm not sure about the rest of what you want, but this one certainly is fast.
regards,
Matt
caramelcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 3:31 PM   #9

Boo: Cool photos. Using stage light add so muchs to the photos. I was also planning to leave the flash off, did you take the photos at asa 800 ?

Caramelcord: Strange that such fast digital camera did not caught a review. I looked into the specs, no mention of lens build. For me it will not do because max exposure time is 2 sec. However I found a link with enthousiastic Casio snapshots:
http://www.pbase.com/cameras/casio
My verdict; A must have if one wants to upgrade form Espio or othe spycam (which are pretty fast due to lack of electronics). Great for recording personal momentos.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 3:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by caramelcord
You could try the Casio qv-r4 http://www.casio.co.uk/digitalcameras/qv_r/, this has a 0.01 second shutter lag. I'm not sure about the rest of what you want, but this one certainly is fast.
I got to thinking about this, since the Casio uses the same "Contrast AF" that other cameras use...does the above time include focusing time?

Like most other digitals, you can probably hold down the shutter button half way to pre-focus, and set light levels and white balance...are they timing it from that point, or are all those operations included in that .01 seconds? No one says that. Suggest you check that before putting down your $500 for it.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote