Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 12, 2003, 5:20 PM   #1

Default travel camera

about to embark on trek through europe and need advice on what digital camera to buy - main concern is size and ease of downloading pictures to net - any help in this matter is greatly appreciated - solo-hiker
glenn wilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2003, 5:57 PM   #2

What camera you get depends on what you want to shoot, and how much of a camera you can carry. If you're shooting things far away you may want a camera with a long optical zoom. Also you may want to buy a camera that uses AAs, in case your battery dies and you need to get a replacement in an emergency.

There are other considerations too, like how many memory cards to get, what you're going to do when the cards you do have fill up, etc.

Anyway, whatever your choice don't wait until the last minute before you leave on your trip...you need practice time! If you don't heed this advice, you'll be spending your trip reading manuals. Also you won't know the limitations of your camera. I bought my camera a month before leaving and I thought I had given myself enough practice time, but I don't know how many times I've had to look something up, and made mistakes (and I had 20 years of SLR experience, plus many more years experience with computers).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2003, 6:09 PM   #3

Download ease during travel is mostly a matter of the internet places and computers you will find on the road. Windows XP recognizes (some) cameras without any install and all you have to do hook the camera to usb and drag and drop. However you might want to invest in a small card reader compatible with the memory cards for your camera just to be on the safe side.

Anyhow I recommend for sake of respectable colors Canon, Nikon or Olympus. You might find another brand also doing a great job.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2003, 8:05 PM   #4

When I wrote my above reply, I was thinking more along the lines of your own laptop, or a digital wallet (a device that is dedicated to reading memory cards and storing them on its own hard drive for retreival later).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2003, 1:13 AM   #5

:P
luckmal is offline   Reply With Quote