Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 24, 2007, 11:28 PM   #1

I have not yet purchased a dSLR. I am planning on getting the Pentax K100D. Right nowI am looking for lenses on eBay and such, yet it I am having a tough time finding lenses. Just for the heck of it, I looked at lenses for Canon and Nikon and it seems like there are lots more available for sale for Canon and Nikon than there are for Pentax cameras. Is this true? Have you gone with Nikon or Canon because of this?
Contriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2007, 12:49 AM   #2
rey

Canon is the 900 lb gorilla, and is just so much bigger than the others (inluding Nikon), that's how they have the largest stock and variety of lenses. Nikon is probably second, but their lineup lack a lot of lenses (and supplies) that Canon offer.

In addition, 3rd party lens makers make lenses that are available for Nikon and Canon that they do not offer for the others. But this is slowly changing.

A good example is the 70-200mm range. Depending on your budget, Canon has an f/4 IS version, an f/2.8 (non-IS), and the top of the line f/2.8 IS. Nikon just have the top of the line f/2.8 VR (though they do have the older 80-200 f/2.8 ). The Sigma versions for this range is in-stock (in B&H) for Nikon and Canon, but not for Pentax. I don't know if Pentax have their own version, it's not showing up in B&H.

This is one of the reason I went with Nikon. Actually, I initially bought the Canon Rebel XT because my friend has a Canon system. But I returned it (after 6 weeks, thanks for Costco's liberal return policy) because it was too small for my hands. Also Nikon has the 18-200VR that Canon do not have. The closest Canon I saw was their 17-85 IS USM. But to illustrate Nikon's supply problem, the 18-200VR is still hard to find, more than a year after its release.

Good Luck!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 1:50 AM   #3

How many lenses does one need?

If the answer is alot - then you might want to go Nikon or Canon. I'm of a mind that that you should have 1 body per regularly used lens. Sure, some people have a fair amount of glass, but they usually shoot 85-90% with 1 or 2 "favorites" that get the job done.

I'm a long time Nikon user/evangalist - but I say, if you like the Pentax - then get it & don't fret it.

Best.
fastglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 4:07 AM   #4

Considering that the Pentax can use nearly any K-mount lens ever made, and, with an adapter, the M42 screw mount lenses, you aren't giong to suffer from too much lens envy. Up until recently, Pentax mount lenses have been real bargains. The increasing numbers of sales of K100D and K10D bodies has put quite a bit of pressure on prices, though.

If you are looking for fast lenses for any camera, be prepared to spend heavily. More so for C and N if you want stabilization, as that has to be built into each lens separately.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 5:53 AM   #5

In your other topic, dSLR Newbie Questions, I didn't mean to sway you from your choice of the Pentax K100D, especially since it seemed that the type of shooting you do could be handled with the 18-55mm kit lens, but it seems that you discovered for yourself the embarassment of riches in lenses and accessories enjoyed by Canon and Nikon owners.

But as VTphotogpoints out, Pentax has the Shake Reduction built into the body, so it is available for any lens you use. (The same is true for the Sony dSLR, btw.) But Canon and Nikon only include their Image Stabilization/Vibration Reduction in certain lenses.

Also, for the most part, third party lens manufacturers don't include IS/VR type features into their lenses, so if Canon/Nikon owners want that feature theyprobably can't use third partylenses.

So if SR/AS/IS/VR/(Whatever) is a feature you feel you could benifit from, in a Pentax or Sony dSLR, you only have to pay for it once. And if you feel you don't need it, with a Pentax or Sony, you can turn it off; if you feel you DO need it, with a Canon/Nikon, if you don't have it in the lensyou can't turn it on.

So that is the pivotal choice for you right now. To SR or not to SR, that is the question (with apologies to WS.)

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 8:41 AM   #6

Contriver,

As mentioned, Canon and Nikon will have more AUTOFOCUS lenses available (those great old pentax lenses are all manual focus). But, as another poster mentioned - you probably are not going to buy 20 lenses. So, here's what I recommend:

1. Figure out, with forum help if you don't already know, what your lens wish-list is for the next 5 years - assume no new lenses since no one can predict what will be available.

2. Look at what lenses are available in the systems you are considering including 2nd hand manual focus lenses for pentax if you're ok with buying used and manual focus.

3. If the lenses you think you'll be interested in buying exist (either as OEM lenses or 3rd party)and are available then don't sweat the others that aren't.

Buying into an SLR system is about identifying the system that fits YOUR needs not someone else's. Then, when you find the 1, 2 or 3 systems that will fit your lens needs you can select a camera body that's available now. And, don't forget lenses aren't the ONLY aspect to a system. Pentax & Sony have chosen to put anti-shake into their bodies - so for people who value that technology, those systems are a more cost effective way of getting the technology. Canon & Nikon control the professional sports market so their camera systems have a definite edge in camera and lens technology for action shooting. Nikon system has great flash technology. Canon system embraces larger sensors - besides the 1.6 aps-c sensor they also have a 1.3 aps-h sensor in their one pro series camera and they have 2 full-frame sensor cameras. Any of these features could be completely meaningless or important to a person.

As I've mentioned in several recent posts I think you're wise to look at a camera system and not just the camera & kit lens. But like I said here - I would only worry about the features / lenses that are important to YOUR needs and not fret over features/lenses you never intend to buy.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 10:43 AM   #7

assuming you are new to this dslr thing too ( like me ). i got the K100d with the 2 lens kit for Christmas. i find that i don't really have a need for more lenses and i can't see me having that many more. i am still learning to use my camera correctly and i thinkaddind more lenses to the picture would just confuse me.

i choose the K100d because my old P&S was a pentax and the menu and manual felt comfortable for me to use. odd reason but true.

i would love to have a flash though LOL!!!

julianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 12:02 PM   #8

julianne wrote:
Quote:
i choose the K100d because my old P&S was a pentax and the menu and manual felt comfortable for me to use. odd reason but true.
This is an excellent reason for sticking with a brand.

As I recall, you currently have a Canon A520. You can download teh users manuals for camera from the manufacturers' websites. That will help you get familiar with the terminology that different manufacturers use for the same things.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 12:40 PM   #9
rey

Clearly, the OP has expressed interests on the Pentax system but having problem finding all these K-mount lenses you guys keep mentioning about. Maybe you guys should give him links to stores that have them. I'm sure he's not limited to lenses that former Pentax owners sold when they switched to Canon.:G

When I was shopping for my first DSLR last year, the Canon and Nikon folks nicely laid-out different possible "lens path" I could take base on my needs. I mentioned I shoot mostly landscape, and several people from Nikon/Canon forum gladly share sample pics of the non-IS/VR pics of the Sigma 10-20 and Tokina 12-24. Those images were great btw, even without IS/VR. I also shoot a lot of landscapes around sunset time, so I have my tripod in my car at all times. I doubt any IS/VR system would work on those scenarios (2 second minimum exposure).

I'm not a Nikon loyalist, I am not trying to convince the OP to buy Nikon. God knows there's enough shortage of Nikon lenses out there. (Which, in the US, comes with 5-yr US warranty)

Going back to the OP, the best way to help him is to help him find these stores that sell Pentax lenses. Rather than keep telling him the Pentax bodies comes with IS/VR built-in, I'm sure by now he's aware of that.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 5:00 PM   #10

Sigma4less

"Your search results for "all with Pentax mount" returned 108 item(s)."

Granted it's not just lenses, it's also cameras, battery packs, teleconverters. But looks like mostly lenses.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote