Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 13, 2003, 11:09 AM   #1

Default HELP WITH COMPARISON TO SLR

I grew up in the 50's using a manual SLR 35mm & have a programable/manual Pentax with a 35 - 135 mm lens I have been using for several years. In December I got an Olympus 2040 & I love the pictures. I don't use the SLR anymore. I miss the zoom I could get with the SLR. I am looking for a solution. I have considered a zoom lens for the 2040 or getting a higher megapixel digital. I'm looking for some help in what is best solution. I am also concerned that I will be as happy with the pictures on a different digital as I am with the 2040.
nglawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2003, 12:42 PM   #2

Have you looked at other Olys like the C-750? This camera (and most of the other C-7x0 series) have a 10x optical zoom that's 38mm-380mm (35mm equivalent). I mention the C-750 because it's the best of the lot so far (I say that as a C-700 user who has studied them all).

You can get a tele-converter for your 2040, but you'd have to use the LCD all the time because the optical viewfinder doesn't let you see through the lens. To get that benefit, you'd need a camera that's either a dSLR or an EVF (Electronic View Finder) like the C-7x0 uses.

The only thing about the C-7x0 is that it has a slower lens (only opens up to f2.8 while your camera can go down to f1.8).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2003, 2:11 PM   #3

Thanks mike, I'll look at the O 740.
Norma
nglawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2003, 2:32 PM   #4

The 740 is missing a few features, namely sound with videos, no external flash socket (you have to use a slave), no remote capability, and the MP isn't as high as it is on the 750.
Old Jul 13, 2003, 4:11 PM   #5

You may also want to take a look at the nikon cp4500. It may not have the built in telephoto like the oly 7x0 series, but its small lense size means that with the right adapter you can add-on just about any optical equipment including but not limited to telescopes, spotting scopes, microscopes, monocles, add-on telephoto, add-on wide angle, add on macro, etc. Also, due to the small lense size, there will be little to no vignetting with any of these add-ons.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2003, 4:29 PM   #6

Just to add to the above tidbit, you can also add tele-converters, wideangle-converters, closeup-converters, etc. etc. etc. to the C-7x0 series as well with the filter adapter tube, and again with the right combination you won't get vignetting.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 1:03 AM   #7

Yes, but due to the 55mm threads on the adapter, the selection of add-on lenses is very limited compared to the nikon.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 2:14 AM   #8

If you don't mind doing a time warp and going back a few years I can tell you my favorite digital SLR camera. It is the Sony MVC-FD95 or MVC-FD97.

They were the last of the floppy disc cameras. They had 2.1 megapixels, 10x real optical zoom (I think in the range of 35mm equivalent of 40 to 400mm) and a 20x digital zoom. This was the perfect bird watchers camera with the monster zoom range.

To prevent camera shake at extreme zoom ranges those two top of the line Sony cameras had SteadyShot image stabilzation. The SteadyShot worked great.

The cameras used standard, cheap, floppies or the MemoryStick for extra image capacity.

The best part is that the viewfinder was a color electronic LCD that viewed directly from the imaging chip making it a TRUE SLR. The viewfinder was designed to turn on when you put your eye to the eyepiece...cool...huh?

I believe the macro setting got down to 0.08-inch.

Those digital cameras also had movie with sound. They also had spot meters.

They were powered by the camcorder InfoLithium batteries that told you down to the minute how much power was left before you lost power. The standard battery lasted about 150 minutes and the extended battery lasted 210 minutes.

With the great zoom range I didn't need to worry about more pixels because with the close cropping I would do in the camera I didn't waste any pixels.

And there was always the great convenience of pulling a floppy disc directly out of the camera and putting it into the computer to see or print the image.

It looked big and mean, it made other digital cameras look small and puny. And it was a true SLR.

I still use my FD95 regularly.

They were $1000 new in 2000.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/fd95.html
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_reviews/fd97.html
HaveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 6:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark50
Yes, but due to the 55mm threads on the adapter, the selection of add-on lenses is very limited compared to the nikon.
Please don't post false information!!!

You can get filter tubes for the Olympus C-7x0 cameras in the following sizes, 55mm, 52mm, 46mm, and 37mm (although the last two have more chance of vignetting at certain zoom positions). I actually bought the 55mm on purpose because my SLR's Zeiss lens is also 55mm, so I can share all the filters, etc. that I have for that camera with my Oly digital, and I haven't had a problem finding what I want yet.

I admit I can't find information about what tubes are available for the Nikon 5400 at my usual sources so I won't put up incorrect information about that.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 4:33 PM   #10

You are right, what I should have said is that Olympus, the manufacturer of camera, suggests the use of the cla-4 lense adapter with 55mm threads, but i am sure it is possible to use all sorts of add-on lenses with enough step down rings.