Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 1, 2007, 9:27 AM   #11

slipe wrote:
Quote:
I seldom close a disk and they work fine on other computers. The XP recorder writes in multi-session and doesn't close disks. What often can't be read on other computers is packet writing to RW.
Quote:
******Where do i find the 'EX recorder" and can you give me a lesson or two on using it. Pretend you got a 1g memo-card and you want to burn it to a DVD and leave the session open so that you can add more to it later. How would i do that? And, what kind of DVD disc should i buy?
Quote:
If you write multi-session to DVD you can just keep adding stuff, including the data from memory cards. It has to be set up for multi-session before the first session or it doesn't write the lead-in for the next session. In that case other computers often can't see the subsequent sessions. But if you set it up correctly in Nero or just use the XP burner, other computers will see all the sessions.
Quote:
*****Sounds great. How exactly do i do it+
Quote:
I see no reason to write directly from the memory card if you have a computer. It seems it would be a limitation to have to fill the card before dumping it as well.
Quote:
****I don't want abunch of images taking up my HD space. Ideally i can save 4.6 g to my HD and then transfer them to a DVD and then delete them from my PC. However, ifmy PC crashed prior to transferring the photos - then i would lose them. Therefore, maybe a good solution is for me to dump my memocard when full, to a DVD, and keep the DVD open so that I can add more to it. Continue this pattern until the DVD is full and then start over again with another DVD. I have 4 memocards total - so i always have some space available. In summary, i'd like to burn images to a DVD. Keep the DVD open so that I can add more to it until it is full. That is the plan. I just dont know how to excuete it! Details please. I can have the software and the PC, just limited in knowledge. Thanks to all.
Quote:

dwelsh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 10:54 AM   #12

yeah, it's unfortunate tha dvd writing is not part of winxp's functionality. I recently downloaded a trial version of dvd archiving software - apparently the trial is free and so is the registration key... i read through the terms of use before installing to avoidn getting slammed with any spyware.

got it from download.com... fairly simple to use. it's called "Backpack Professional 4".

Hope this helps!
Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 11:56 AM   #13

Well, i got Nero. Some of said that back up to DVD via Nero. One has said that he HAS done it with XP. So, i don't know.

I'm still not sure what can of disc to buy. I want to be able to add more sessions later and my burner can handle plus or minus. Can somebody help me out on what kind of DVD to get? I have burned movies at home with great success using DVD RW's. But, when i tried to copy/drag photos to my DVD RW via Windows Explorer, it didn't work.

Thanks.

Old Mar 1, 2007, 12:06 PM   #14

sorry, i meant that DVD burning is not supported by WinXP itself, you need a 3rd party program like nero to do it.

remember that your version of Nero may not support DVD burning either, so the program i mentioned may be able to help. Good luck!
Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 12:45 PM   #15

I get it now. Thanks Dr. Mr.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 1:47 PM   #16

Where do i find the 'EX recorder"

It appears it is what you were using for CD and it isn't working for DVD. When you drag items to the burner you are initiating the XP recording software. If your Nero software came with your DVD burner it will probably burn DVDs for you.

The XP software automatically records multi-session. So you can add stuff later to CDs you burn with it.

Pretend you got a 1g memo-card and you want to burn it to a DVD and leave the session open so that you can add more to it later. How would i do that?

I am currently using Prassi Ones, so I can't look at Nero to see how multi-session is engaged. In the old days you had to select it, but more recent versions of Nero default to multi-session unless you change it. You should record your photos as simple data. Look up multi-session in help if you want to make sure you haven't disabled it.

If you want someone else to tell you so you don't have to look in help, tell us whether you are using Nero Express or the full Nero.

And, what kind of DVD disc should i buy?

That was already explained. You have to know what your recorder takes. Some take only + or – where others take both. Some take two sided where others take only one sided. Don't use RW.

If you don't know download Belarc Advisor: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html It should give you the model number and a Google search should tell you what kind of DVDs you can use.

I don't want a bunch of images taking up my HD space. Ideally i can save 4.6 g to my HD and then transfer them to a DVD and then delete them from my PC. However, if my PC crashed prior to transferring the photos - then i would lose them. Therefore, maybe a good solution is for me to dump my memocard when full, to a DVD, and keep the DVD open so that I can add more to it. Continue this pattern until the DVD is full and then start over again with another DVD. I have 4 memocards total - so i always have some space available. In summary, i'd like to burn images to a DVD. Keep the DVD open so that I can add more to it until it is full. That is the plan. I just dont know how to excuete it! Details please. I can have the software and the PC, just limited in knowledge.

A computer crash doesn't usually destroy files. Only a hard drive failure usually destroys files. Accumulating a full Gig of images on the card probably isn't as secure as trusting your HD. Putting the images on a single CD or DVD probably isn't as secure either, especially with your knowledge level. And having them on a single RW is almost certainly not as secure.

If I am going to remove images from my HD and trust them to CD I make two copies. One copy on archive level gold CDs and another on standard cyanine. I store them in different places and don't let light get to them. I look at the photos on both CDs before I erase them from the HD. I test my error rate with a special utility so I know what speed gives the most accurate burn on what specific media. That isn't the same as the integrity check most software will make after the burn. You can have a high error rate and still have that OK.

It seems frivolous to worry about accumulating a CD or DVD full of images on your hard drive when the alternative is to keep them on the camera memory to eventually be sent to a single cyanine CD or DVD.

A session takes only 15Mb of housekeeping space. At the current cost of a DVD that is peanuts. Make interim burns and make sure the images are always at least two places. Check that the images on the DVDs are good before deleting them from the HD or memory card.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 8:01 PM   #17

slipe wrote:
Quote:
Where do i find the 'EX recorder"

It appears it is what you were using for CD and it isn't working for DVD. When you drag items to the burner you are initiating the XP recording software.
Quote:
****I see.
Quote:
If your Nero software came with your DVD burner it will probably burn DVDs for you.
Quote:
****The Nero software did not come with my PC. I bought it later to support DVD Shrink software. I'm a movie dubbing machine with those two programs working together. Even with my small knowledge with techno stuff.
Quote:
The XP software automatically records multi-session. So you can add stuff later to CDs you burn with it.
Quote:
****Really? If i burn photos to a CD-r via EX then i can always add more photos later? I thought once the PC spit out the disc at the end of the burn session that it was a closed deal and that nothing more could be added.
Quote:
Pretend you got a 1g memo-card and you want to burn it to a DVD and leave the session open so that you can add more to it later. How would i do that?

I am currently using Prassi Ones, so I can't look at Nero to see how multi-session is engaged. In the old days you had to select it, but more recent versions of Nero default to multi-session unless you change it. You should record your photos as simple data. Look up multi-session in help if you want to make sure you haven't disabled it.
Quote:
***OK. Good idea. I'm at work now, but i'm pretty sure my version of Nero is 7.0
Quote:
If you want someone else to tell you so you don't have to look in help, tell us whether you are using Nero Express or the full Nero.
Quote:
********See above. I'll check later when i am at home. Thanks.

And, what kind of DVD disc should i buy?

That was already explained. You have to know what your recorder takes. Some take only + or – where others take both. Some take two sided where others take only one sided. Don't use RW.
Quote:
*****I posted previously about my DVD drive - i gave the following:
DVD Drive
Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write capability

Quote:
If you don't know download Belarc Advisor: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html It should give you the model number and a Google search should tell you what kind of DVDs you can use.
Quote:
****OK. Thanks. I know that the only DVD's i have currently are RW's. They have worked fine for the many movies i have dubbed with my PC via DVD Shrink in conjunction with Nero. But, you are saying that RW's will not work to archieve photos?
Quote:
If I am going to remove images from my HD and trust them to CD I make two copies. One copy on archive level gold CDs and another on standard cyanine.
Quote:
****Interesting. I wasn't aware of the difference between 'archive level gold' and 'standard cyanine'. Both are CD and NOT dvd's - therefore, space is limited?
Quote:
I store them in different places and don't let light get to them. I look at the photos on both CDs before I erase them from the HD. I test my error rate with a special utility so I know what speed gives the most accurate burn on what specific media. That isn't the same as the integrity check most software will make after the burn. You can have a high error rate and still have that OK.
Quote:
****Wow. Fascinating. What is your special utility called? I didn't know that i would need such a thing. UGH. The learning curve continues to be steep!
Quote:
It seems frivolous to worry about accumulating a CD or DVD full of images on your hard drive when the alternative is to keep them on the camera memory to eventually be sent to a single cyanine CD or DVD.
Quote:
*****I don't understand your above point.
Quote:
A session takes only 15Mb of housekeeping space.
Quote:
*******Huh? What do you mean? What is meant by a 'session'?
Quote:
At the current cost of a DVD that is peanuts. Make interim burns and make sure the images are always at least two places. Check that the images on the DVDs are good before deleting them from the HD or memory card.
Quote:
*******I have only been saving to one place - a CD-R, and the only way i have been checking them is by count (the memocard had 222 pics - the burned CD-R has 222 pics) and by visually just scanning them briefly with my eye (ie. i use no utility to check them). Sounds like i'm asking for trouble later. What do you suggest?
Quote:
Thanks a bunch.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 4:26 AM   #18

Just a few points to clear things up:

You can archive photos on RW discs, but they aren't as reliable as non-rewriteable discs. They don't last as long, they won't read on all drives, and they can be erased.

There are archive quality CD-Rs out there that are supposed to be good for over 100 years. I don't think there are any DVD-Rs that can boast that kind of life. If you look around you'll find other discussions about this. What I've heard is that discs from Taiyo Yuden are the best quality you can get. Verbatim's are also supposed to be good, and just about anything made in Japan (which some speculate are all from Taiyo Yuden).

Personally, I wouldn't plan on just leaving all my photos on DVDs forever. I plan on re-archiving my files some time in the future, either on more DVDs, hard drives, or whatever new, high capacity media might be coming out (Blu-Ray maybe?). If you're in a hurry but want to hedge your bets easily, I'd suggest that when you start a new burn session, if you are using less than half the DVD then create a "backup" subfolder and drop duplicate copies of all your images in there. This will increase the odds that you won't lose a few files to scratches or corruption.

Quote:
Quote:
*****I don't understand your above point.
All Slipe is saying is that a hard drive is typically more reliable than CDs, DVDs, or especially memory cards. If you were to keep all your photos on a hard drive as well as discs, you'd be extremely well covered in the future.

Quote:
A session takes only 15Mb of housekeeping space.
Quote:
*******Huh? What do you mean? What is meant by a 'session'?
Every time you add files to a disc it's called a "session". For every session 15MB gets used up in useless data, so even if you only add a 2MB file, 17MB would be used.

Quote:
*******I have only been saving to one place - a CD-R, and the only way i have been checking them is by count (the memocard had 222 pics - the burned CD-R has 222 pics) and by visually just scanning them briefly with my eye (ie. i use no utility to check them). Sounds like i'm asking for trouble later. What do you suggest
Yes, that is not a very good way to backup. First off, you should label everything appropriately. Organize your files into folders with dates and names and write those on the disc. I use a Sharpie, but some have said to use a felt tip pen. Don't use labels as they can erode the disc. Discs that have a writing surface are nice.

After burning a disc, you should try to verify all your files are on there and intact. At the very least let Nero verify the data for you (there's usually a checkbox when you are about to start burning). It takes some time, but because it compares all the files on the burned DVD to your original files, it should be pretty certain that all your files are good afterwards. You could also open every file to make sure they are fine, if you are so inclined.

I keep all my photo discs in a CD binder. Normally I don't trust these things to prevent scratches, but since I don't take the discs out very often I think it's ok for my purposes.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 1:10 PM   #19

Corpsy wrote:
Quote:
Just a few points to clear things up:

You can archive photos on RW discs, but they aren't as reliable as non-rewriteable discs.
Quote:
****Can i add photos to a non-rewritable disc? For example, one session i put 200 photos onto a non-rewritable DVD. A month later, can I use that same disc again and add another 200 pics? I have this CD-R mind-set that is it one session and then it is 'sealed' and done. Is that right or wrong or what?
Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't plan on just leaving all my photos on DVDs forever. I plan on re-archiving my files some time in the future, either on more DVDs, hard drives, or whatever new, high capacity media might be coming out (Blu-Ray maybe?). If you're in a hurry but want to hedge your bets easily, I'd suggest that when you start a new burn session, if you are using less than half the DVD then create a "backup" subfolder and drop duplicate copies of all your images in there. This will increase the odds that you won't lose a few files to scratches or corruption.
Quote:
****Or, said another way - burn two copies of what ever i am saving since one DVD might get damaged? Or, maybe get another HD. Do they make high capacity HD's that just plug right into a USB port? So, i could burn one to a DVD, and then duplicate that to an external HD? So, you are saying that having just ONE copy of my photos(taken off of the camera's memocard) on a CD-R is not very good because the CD-R might fail and or get damaged?
Quote:
*******I have only been saving to one place - a CD-R, and the only way i have been checking them is by count (the memocard had 222 pics - the burned CD-R has 222 pics) and by visually just scanning them briefly with my eye (ie. i use no utility to check them). Sounds like i'm asking for trouble later. What do you suggest
Quote:
After burning a disc, you should try to verify all your files are on there and intact. At the very least let Nero verify the data for you (there's usually a checkbox when you are about to start burning).
Quote:
*********I'll use my Nero next time so that i can utilize the feature you desribe below. Thanks. In the past, i have just done the copy/paste thing via the OS to a CD-R. Compare the numbers/visually scan the burned images - then once i have confirmed the above - I deleted the memocard and started the process all over. It worked fine but i guess it wasn't very secure and once i got the high capacity memocards, it didn't work as fast because i ended up with too many photos on the card and not enough space on the CDR. Thanks a bunch for your time and input.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 3:09 PM   #20

Quote:
****Can i add photos to a non-rewritable disc? For example, one session i put 200 photos onto a non-rewritable DVD. A month later, can I use that same disc again and add another 200 pics? I have this CD-R mind-set that is it one session and then it is 'sealed' and done. Is that right or wrong or what?
Yes, Reanimator and Slipe have already said as much. It's just an option you select when you begin to burn a disc. When you put the disc in next and start up Nero it will read the disc, show the folders and files, and let you know how much space you have left.

Quote:
****Or, said another way - burn two copies of what ever i am saving since one DVD might get damaged? Or, maybe get another HD. Do they make high capacity HD's that just plug right into a USB port? So, i could burn one to a DVD, and then duplicate that to an external HD? So, you are saying that having just ONE copy of my photos (taken off of the camera's memocard) on a CD-R is not very good because the CD-R might fail and or get damaged?
Two copies are better than one, but store them separately. Just keep in mind that all optical discs will wear out over time no matter how carefully you store them, so even if you burned 20 copies, if they are not high quality discs they will likely all be bad in 40 years (or sooner). Even high quality discs won't last forever.

External usb hard drives are available and they're not too expensive. There are also external cases that you can put internal hard drives into and read via usb.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote