Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 6, 2007, 12:55 AM   #31

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
My biggest fear is that the DVD will go by the way of the 8-track, and we won't be able to find a working player to stick our disks in.
I'm not too concerned about this myself. The newest disc formats coming out are blu-ray and hd-dvd, and drives for both are backwards compatible with dvd and cd. There is no storage technology that I've even heard of that could theoretically be made more cheaply than optical discs which are just a piece of foil and plastic with some ink. And considering that 1080p resolution for video is about the same resolution as movie film, and that the new discs have way more space than is even required to store these movies, there really isn't any pressure to find new ways of storing data.

Besides, if a new, far superior technology comes along that isn't compatible with CDs and DVDs, optical drives by that time would probably be so fast that you could re-backup a few hundred DVDs all in one afternoon.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 4:46 AM   #32

"Besides, if a new, far superior technology comes along that isn't compatible with CDs and DVDs, optical drives by that time would probably be so fast that you could re-backup a few hundred DVDs all in one afternoon."

That is, if the DVDs still work...

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 5:52 PM   #33

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
"Besides, if a new, far superior technology comes along that isn't compatible with CDs and DVDs, optical drives by that time would probably be so fast that you could re-backup a few hundred DVDs all in one afternoon."

That is, if the DVDs still work...

the Hun
My point was that obsolescence is not the thing to be most worried about, and it still stands.

:-)
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 6:56 AM   #34

slipe wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Really? If i burn photos to a CD-r via EX then i can always add more photos later? I thought once the PC spit out the disc at the end of the burn session that it was a closed deal and that nothing more could be added.
Quote:

CDs I've written with the XP recorder have automatically been multi-session. I put the CD back in the recorder and can add more stuff later in another session. I've never even seen a choice to close the disk with the XP recorder, and there is no reason to do that with data.
Quote:
***********************So, with XP's recorder - you can LATER add to BOTH a CD-R and to a DVD? My limited understand was that one can add to DVD's but not to CD-R's. However, i'm now assuming that i was given mis-information? So, again, i ask - with XP's recorderI can run multi-sessions with both CDs and DVD's? (By multi sessions i mean, for example, i put 200 images on a disc on Monday, i came back later on Wednesday and put 200 more on, then Friday i put another 200 on, and finally Sunday, i put another 200 on - so i now have 800 total on one disc and haven't lost anyof the worki did prior to Monday?)
Quote:
Thanks for you time and consideration. Much appreciated.
dwelsh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 1:59 AM   #35

Corpsy wrote:
Quote:
External usb hard drives are available and they're not too expensive. There are also external cases that you can put internal hard drives into and read via usb.
I doubt any hard drive would last as long as a well cared for DVD... except maybe just bought used and stored... a fairly costly option. (And likely interface obsolete before DVD will be.

Also a RW disk has to be PHYSICALLY erased.... hard drives are MAGNETIC and can be erased by any strong field they get near/pass through, as well as they naturally decay into magnetic randomness again over time even if never touched... much the way batteriess eventually loos charge even if never used. HD are also easily physically damaged by dropping, etc.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote