Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 28, 2007, 2:02 PM   #1

I have had a diggy camera for about a year. It came with a 512 size card. I bought a 1g card. The 512 was easy to burn the images to a CD-R. Now, with the 1g, i cant fit it all onto a CDR. Do they make CDR's that have a 1g capacity?

Can i copy my images to a DVD? I know they hold much more data. However, when i tried to copy and burn to a dvd rw - my software (XP) wouldn't let me.

So, what i gained in memo cards - i have lost in the hassle of burning to CDR's from the one memo card. Anyway to get all the 1g memo card onto a CDR or DVD R without loss of photo quality?

Thanks a bunch.

dwelsh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2007, 2:23 PM   #2

Typical CD-Rs can only hold 700MB. I know there are specialty discs out there that can hold more, but I don't think they get up to a GB, and it would probably be cheaper to just use two normal CD-Rs anyway. A DVD-R or DVD+R holds 4.7 GB so obviously that's more than enough storage.

Do you have a DVD burning drive? Many disc drives from a few years ago could read and write CD-Rs but could only read DVDs. You may need to get a new drive.

Also, I wouldn't recommend using a DVD-RW for archiving. RW discs have a much shorter shelf life than DVD-Rs and DVD+Rs, and sometimes they can't be read on different drives.

Personally, I prefer to back up my photos in chunks every month or so. I drop them all onto a DVD-R and label it with the time frame (ie. 10/06 - 12/06) and brief descriptions. Another option would be to just use more CD-Rs, or put them right to DVD-Rs, or maybe use cheap discs for now and every so often consolidate your images onto higher quality DVD-Rs. Some people use external hard drives. Some use an online service to store their images on a remote server for them (added security in a disaster).
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 3:05 PM   #3

Corpsy wrote:
Quote:
Typical CD-Rs can only hold 700MB. I know there are specialty discs out there that can hold more, but I don't think they get up to a GB, and it would probably be cheaper to just use two normal CD-Rs anyway.
Quote:
***I'm not opposed to using two normal CD-R's but it took me forever to divide them in half. I'm sure that with more time, i'd get better at it. But the first time i tried it, it took me forever.
Quote:
A DVD-R or DVD+R holds 4.7 GB so obviously that's more than enough storage.

Do you have a DVD burning drive?
Quote:
**I do. I have dubbed movies onto DVD's with my computer.
Quote:
Many disc drives from a few years ago could read and write CD-Rs but could only read DVDs. You may need to get a new drive.

Also, I wouldn't recommend using a DVD-RW for archiving. RW discs have a much shorter shelf life than DVD-Rs and DVD+Rs, and sometimes they can't be read on different drives.
Quote:
***I see. I didn't know that. Thanks.
Quote:
Personally, I prefer to back up my photos in chunks every month or so. I drop them all onto a DVD-R
Quote:
**How do you drop them? My PC has a DVD burner. I have XP as my OS. When i tried the procedure that i use with my CDRs (via Windows Explorer - copy/paste kind of thing)- it didn't work with a DVD-RW.
Quote:
and label it with the time frame (ie. 10/06 - 12/06) and brief descriptions. Another option would be to just use more CD-Rs, or put them right to DVD-Rs
Quote:
**Again, how? A special software program or maybe i need to try again with a fresh reboot and a DVD-R rather than a DVD RW.
Quote:
, or maybe use cheap discs for now and every so often consolidate your images onto higher quality DVD-Rs.
Quote:
**I'm not opposed at all to using DVD's. I just didn't have any luck the last time i tried it. Again, maybe a fresh reboot and using a DVD-R as opposed to a DVD RW. Do you use a certain program when you drag and drop your photos to a DVD R?
Quote:
Some people use external hard drives. Some use an online service to store their images on a remote server for them (added security in a disaster).
Quote:
**Thanks for the helpful info. I look forward to hearing more when you have time. Thanks again.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 3:12 PM   #4

dvd writers used to come in two forms.........dvd "+" r and dvd "-" r later ones are compatable with both types of disk.......make sure u get correct disk for your writer.

u need to use software like nero, which as come with every recordabal drive i have ever bought

all u need to do when u have got correct disk and software is to make a dvd data disk and add "drop" images to it then burn.........u can make it multisession and add more later or close the disk and add nothing extra

dvds are a few pennies more than cds.......in enlgand they are about 15p each so its amazingly cheap storage

ps no cds are 1gig

Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 3:37 PM   #5

Reanimator wrote:
Quote:
dvd writers used to come in two forms.........dvd "+" r and dvd "-" r later ones are compatable with both types of disk.......make sure u get correct disk for your writer.
Quote:
**OK. How can i find out what kind of writer i have? Dell built my PC about a year ago. I know that the DVD's that i tried to copy my photos to - are the exact same dvd's that i successfully dubbed movies to.
Quote:
u need to use software like nero, which as come with every recordabal drive i have ever bought
Quote:
**I do have Nero. So, you are saying that with a DVD i cant do the simple copy and paste thing that i have done in the past with my CDr's via Windows Explorer?
Quote:
all u need to do when u have got correct disk and software is to make a dvd data disk and add "drop" images to it then burn.........u can make it multisession and add more later or close the disk and add nothing extra
Quote:
**I see. Very cool. I just got to make sure i got the correct DVD and get familiar with my Nero software.
Quote:
ps no cds are 1gig
Quote:
**That is good to know. Thank you. That will end my hunt for one! Now, just got to find out what kind of DVD i need to buy.
Quote:
Thanks a bunch.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 3:48 PM   #6

from the start in nero u have got to tell it to tell it u are burning a cd or dvd....., then make a data disk and add, drag n drop, your images into the box that will appear, on the door of the drive it should say "+"r or "-"r"........but ifu allready used disks they should be ok

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 3:58 PM   #7

Thanks a bunch Gary. I play with it this Friday or Saturday and see how it goes.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 5:12 PM   #8

I use Nero as well, sorry I didn't make that clear. I've never actually tried burning discs using XP's built-in functions.

I've heard that if you leave a burning session open so that you can add more later, the disc will not work on most other drives until the session is closed. I have never looked into this so I don't know if it's true, maybe someone else can confirm whether it is or not. If it is, you might want to be careful about leaving sessions open and forgetting about them.

As far as how I back up my photos, I keep everything in the "My Photos" folder. After every photo session, I save all the files from the memory card into a subfolder named with the date and a short description. Then with Nero, I open a new DVD data disc session and start dropping folders into it. The progress bar at the bottom tells you how full the disc will be, so when it goes into the red area I remove the last folder and save it for the next disc.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 6:15 PM   #9

Sounds good. I'll play with Nero soon. Still a bit confused on the type of DVD to get. Below is the kind of DVD drive i got. It appears to me that it can use either plus or minus. Correct?

DVD Drive
Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write capability

Old Feb 28, 2007, 6:56 PM   #10

I seldom close a disk and they work fine on other computers. The XP recorder writes in multi-session and doesn't close disks. What often can't be read on other computers is packet writing to RW.

If you write multi-session to DVD you can just keep adding stuff, including the data from memory cards. It has to be set up for multi-session before the first session or it doesn't write the lead-in for the next session. In that case other computers often can't see the subsequent sessions. But if you set it up correctly in Nero or just use the XP burner, other computers will see all the sessions.

I see no reason to write directly from the memory card if you have a computer. It seems it would be a limitation to have to fill the card before dumping it as well.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote