Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 13, 2003, 4:50 PM   #1

Default Experienced Photographer looking for preferred DigiCam

Hello. I'm an experienced amateur photographer. I have some experience developing and printing. I used a Canon FTB for many years with a host of canon and aftermarket lenses and opted to replace it only when it was stolen. I got my current SLR, an AE1. Several years ago a friend passed on to me an Olympus digi camera. 2 mgpix, no zoom, very basic, Smart Card storage. I have played around with it for three years and am set to buy a good, but not too expensive, digital. I like to print, but am not interested in anything greater than 8 X 10 now and then. I am far more interested in flexibility, control over shutter speeds, f-stops and so forth. I want a camera I can stick in my pocket, but still see the buttons. I want crisp pictures that measure up to 4 X 6. I want to be able to crop to clear pix from 8 X 10. I also want the ability to blur when I choose, create effects with filters and apply filter effects to the image. I understand the software available for doing such work is of good quality.

So. Here is my question. Given what I want to do, which of the many camera's available should I choose? I recently purchased the Digital Camera comparison Mag. and am still confused. I recently purchased and returned a Nikon 3100. I was not pleased with the presets. They are OK for folks who don't want to fiddle with their own presetting, but seemed to me to jack up the price of the camera without really giving you much for your $$$$. I also did not like the system for protecting the lense. I think I prefer minimum presets with maximum manual versatility. Second Note. I can not afford the Nikon 5700 and looking to spend about $400. I want a good solid camera that isn't going to self distruct in a few years. I have really looked at both the Panasonic with the Leica lense. Since I don't intend to trade for a while the purchase of a good lense makes sense. BTW, does anyone know what the quality of the lense is in the Nikon 4300? I want a camera that handles well and takes incredible pictures it took. A recent online review mentioned HP as a maker of such a camera. My SLR friends tell me I will never top the pictures of a quality SLR, but another friend who is a professional photographer has switched his fiel cameras to DIGI. Of course he buys top of the line Nikon.

Looking forward to hearing from some of you. :?
JPEG42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2003, 9:14 PM   #2

Default Re: Experienced Photographer looking for preferred DigiCam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPEG42
Second Note. I can not afford the Nikon 5700 and looking to spend about $400. I want a good solid camera that isn't going to self distruct in a few years.
On my hunt for the ideal camera I noticed the Canon S45, good colors, low prize, subtle hightlights and decent fast in shutter reaction. However this camera is not very usefull with the iso 400 settings and dark light, I disliked the noise.

[qoute]the lense is in the Nikon 4300? I want a camera that handles well and takes incredible pictures it took. [/quote]

I have used the Nikon on a holliday (airport shopping for friends does have benefits). I liked it very much, good colors, nice crisp images. The only point is the images are a bit high with contrast. If you are sensitive to lense caps; The 4300 detects at power on if the lensecap is still on the lens and issues a warning and stops booting. Very cute but removing the lense cap will not enable further starting.. you have to turn the camera off and back on.
grr
[/quote]
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 12:33 AM   #3

Default Re: Experienced Photographer looking for preferred DigiCam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPEG42
. I can not afford the Nikon 5700 and looking to spend about $400
You have massive problems. You not only need a camera but batteries, charger and memory. IMHO the 5700, Sony V1, Canon G3 or G5 or Pentax 550 are ideal for you ... but you need $700 in total ... minimum.

Be thankful ... in Australia the nikon 5700 is near $1500 ... we get so ripped. So ... don't be cheap
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 1:17 AM   #4

If your main problem with the nikon 3100 was the lack of manual and the presets, I'd suggest going with the canon a70. It is 3mp which will print up to 8x10s, has full manual, costs 300, takes aa batteries and compact flash (the cheapest and imho the best storage format out there). Also, the minolta s414 is 4mp, costs 400, is 4mp, uses aa batteries, compact flash and has manual controls as well.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 1:18 AM   #5

i think he wants more than that .... he's looking at higher end i think .... otherwise i agree with you.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 4:19 AM   #6

Don't know what prices are like in the US but here in UK his budget would not get anywhere near high end - the A70 however would fit the budget and give loads of manual control

Stef
stefank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 6:54 AM   #7

You have to decide whether you want a camera with less features that you can afford today, or save up for that better camera. I know in my case I saved up a while to afford my $650 camera ($900 CDN). While saving up I bought myself a $50 JamCam to get me through my waiting (but the quality certainly wasn't up to my $900 camera).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 9:23 AM   #8

I have been shooting film for many years & struggled with the digital camera switch. I chose 4 megapixel as a good starting point. I feel that the image quality is high enough for my work & I will not feel the need to upgrade until the perfect 6 or 8 MP camera arrives at a resonable price.
I have been using a Contax G1 for a while now &. when using digital cameras, I was not comfortable with the "feel" & responsiveness of most. The last was a Nikon CP4300. It took great pictures, but felt like a toy in my hands. Small display too. I am now using a Canon G3 & love it! It's almost like using a digital Contax G1. & yes, you can see the lens barrel in wide angle, but guess what, you can with the Contax too. Anyway, the G3 feels like a real camera & takes great pictures with very good battery life. I haven't figured out how to stop loosing the lens cap though. I don't want it dangling from a string, but I guess I will have to. I wish they had threaded the lens to accept filters, then I wouldn't worry about putting the cap on.
regards
kev
omega45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 10:38 AM   #9
RBW

Default FZ 1

I have just bought a Panasonic FZ1 with the 12x Image Stabilsed lens and I can recommend it for your needs. I have enlarged to 10x8 and is excellent. It has sufficient options of aperture and shutter speed if you use the icons, and it is easy to use.

Bob
RBW is offline   Reply With Quote