Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 13, 2003, 11:36 PM   #1

Default Cropping to fit 4x6

Is there a very cheap (i.e. free) software that will both batch crop and crop individual shots from the square digicam size to the 4x6 printable ratio??? If i leave it to the processing shops they will butcher it ...........

Why they don't print in digicam size i will never know.

Thanks guys.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2003, 5:12 AM   #2

Actually, over here I get my prints done on a Fuji Frontier printer and I ask for 6X41/2. The Frontiers take this size photo paper which Fuji supply. Perhaps you need to do some lobbying of your Frontier printing service shops!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 7:24 AM   #3

Interesting ... interesting ... a major Camera shop here has just whacked up signs saying they have just installed the "Fronteir" gear ...... man that would be SWEEEEEEEEEEET.

i assume one then just uses the magnetic type albums?
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 7:54 AM   #4

On PSP8, all you have to do is use the crop tool. Just tell it to use a print size, then type in the length and width in the toolbar. Drag the window and resize it how you like and then double-click the box. Poof! A perfect 4x6.

Paint Shop Pro 8 is a great peice of software. It will do all kinds of other things for you as well. I think it sells for about $100, but there may be some deals to be had.

I don't think you will find a free peice of software that will automaticaly crop the way you like it. The reason is that every crop is different. Somtimes you want to keep the top, other times the bottom. Somtimes you need to crop a lot more off.

Just a tip,
Dan O.
Melboz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 10:10 AM   #5

Default Re: Cropping to fit 4x6

[quote="Alfisti"]Is there a very cheap (i.e. free) software that will both batch crop and crop individual shots from the square digicam size to the 4x6 printable ratio???

Irfanview. Freeware from www.irfanview.com
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 11:12 AM   #6
Boo

I've been using IrfanView for many years and have in fact just recommended it in another thread on this very page - but I don't know how you can use it to crop to a specific proportion - can you tell me how, as I've obviously totally missed that option - some of its features are well buried and I learn stuff about it all the time.

Presently I use PhotoBrush from http://www.mediachance.com/ - it isn't free, but for the modest price, it is a very well featured image editor and I also use it daily. Tools I like are the specific proportion crop tool as being discussed here (you can tweak and adjust to your hearts content and it doesn't lose the proportions at all), the easy macro/action options and it seems to have an excellent Lanczos3 resampling algorith. I use PSP7 for most of my work, but almost always have PhotoBrush open at the same time for some features - although I understand PSP8 will address some of those.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 12:17 PM   #7

Did you register PSP7? We did, and got PSP8 for only 50 bucks. If you do buy PSP8, be sure to register it.
Melboz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 12:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo
IrfanView.......I don't know how you can use it to crop to a specific proportion - can you tell me how
Under "File | Batch Conversion/Resize | Set advanced options"

at the top left of the dialog is "Crop " with settings for X-coord, width, Y-coord, height.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 4:49 PM   #9
Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melboz99
Did you register PSP7? We did, and got PSP8 for only 50 bucks. If you do buy PSP8, be sure to register it.
I've had a registered copy since v.4. I just haven't had the funds for v8 until some of my work is paid for. I'll have it soon enough - at the upgrade price.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 4:56 PM   #10
Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T
Under "File | Batch Conversion/Resize | Set advanced options"
Got it now thanks. That wasn't what I was looking for and I doubt I'd find that feature useful. If I'm cropping (I rarely use a photo exactly full frame) I like to see the image in front of me and to manually draw the crop tool so I get exactly what I want in the finished frame.

With the PhotoBrush proportional cropping tool I prefer, I can do just that. I've just prepared a pile of image files for printing at 8 x 10, so I set the tool to those proportions and just select exactly the bit I want in the finished print, just as I would have done in the past on the platten of an enlarger.