Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 14, 2003, 5:39 AM   #1

Default Seeking Advice on Lenses!

I am looking at purchasing a D100 or S2Pro camera for several purposes and need advice on lens choices.

Purpose 1: Real Estate photography including regular photos and Panoramic.

Purpose 2: Product photgraphy, specifically, art related. The photos will be of varied items sold on the web from jewelry to garden-art to sculptures. The photos will also be used for magazine quality catalogs.

Purpose 3: Expensive experimental fun that may lead to more professional purposes such as portrait, nature and sports photography.

I am looking at the following Nikkor lenses and am open to other equivelent lenses by other manufactures. Understand that I know the lenses are expensive, and the body I am selecting is not as good as I should probably select. But, if things go well, the lenses will work with regular SLRs plus will work with any potential upgrade I might select. Upgrading the body would cost me 2 lenses and I think the D100 or S2 is sufficient because I don't need any photos larger than an 8x10, and that would be rare.

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM INCORRECT IN MY ASSUMPTIONS OR YOU HAVE BETTER RECOMENDATIONS.

LENS 1: Nikkor 105mm AF-DC F2.0D - I think this lens would be great for the product shots. From what I understand, the defosing quality lends itself to product photography very well. It can also have some nice effects for portrait photography.

LENS 2: Nikkor 85mm F1.4D IF - I think this would make a great portrait lens as well as work well for the typical real estate photos. I t would also work for the panoramic manual or "stitched" photos.

LENS 3: Nikkor 70-200mm F2.8 AFS/ VR ZOOM - The expensive toy! It appears this is a fantastic lens for "hand-held" and/ or mounted distance shots, including some significant motion shots (birds flying, kids playing, sporys, etc) . I really want to "play" with some nature and sports photography as well as get some nice shots travelling. I have been numerous places where I wanted to "zoom-in" on something and have never had a camera capable of doing so. This seems to be one of the "cadillacs" of lenses for this purpose.

LENS 4: Kaiden 360 One VR (Panoramic) - I have a great opportunity in my local area to help develop some real-estate web sites that include "virtual tours". Several sites have them in other areas, but they have few actual tours and the "stitching" really shows on many of them. It seems this "lens" (so-to-speak) would really be ideal for this purpose. The resolution is dropped some, but is more than adequate. It would allow for a much larger percentage of homes to afford the cost of a virtual tour on the site. In fact, the realtor would probably absorb the cost using one of these "lenses" in order to get more customers.

Please tell me if you think I'm "off-base", need more research, you know of equivelent lenses at a more reasonable cost, etc.

It alot of money I am looking at spending, I would prefer to buy right the first time - your help could get me there!

Thanks!
twesterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2003, 7:44 AM   #2

Have a look at the AF Zoom Nikor 28-105. I use it with my D100 and I'm pleased with the results. I've used it for some people and landscape shots, but mainly for insects with a Hoya +4 close-up filter.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 3:26 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply, it's most appreciated. With the cost of lenses meeting or exceeding the cost of the body, I really want to try and figure out what I need.

To further complicate things a little, I contacted Kaiden, whom responded to many of my questions quickly, and they recommend the following: a Nikkor 60 Micro lens.

I'm not sure if this lens would have any other signifiicant uses for me or if one of the lenses I suggested would be adequate or maybe even another?

Again, any and all input would be appreciated!
Old Jul 14, 2003, 3:37 PM   #4

I admit the camera you're getting is out of my range, but even most digitals can do panoramic without a fancy lens...sure there may be a slight curvature (esp. if you set it to less than 50mm) but that can be corrected with editing software, and you don't see the stitching if you do it right. Here are some examples done with the Olympus C-700/720 cameras (again not in the same league as what you want, but just to show what can be done, and remember these are just average photographers):

http://www.pbase.com/oly_c700/assignment_13_panoramas

These were an assignment done for the Oly_C-700 Yahoo Group.

You may want to visit http://www.panoguide.com/ for panoramic tips before spending money you might not have to...anyway, I suggest you play with the equipment you get first before going over the edge.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 4:52 PM   #5

The panoramic shots I need require the least in overall quality, that's why I am wanting the Kaiden 360 One VR. What makes the most sense, for me, is simply labor time. It appears I could, reasonably well, reduce the time taking pano photos with this lens and, dramatically, reduce the labor normally required by "stitching". It appears that very little time would need to be spent outputting reasonable panormaic photos with this lens.

Nice shots at the site you linked to, by the way! Those shots differ from what I need. I will be putting together 3D, immersive, vrtual-tours with hotspots to link to each panoramic view (e.g. The front of the House, The entrance, the living room, kithen, back yard, etc.) Stitching time could really add up and is the main reason why, I think, so few end up listing with virtual tours.

So, as far the panoramic shots go, its more of a "down and dirty", get it down reasonbly well but quick approach.

I am wanting the higher quality lenses and camera body for the artwork photos and, hopefully, for a more diverse range of opportunities as I learn more about what I am doing. And.. don't forget that I just love to take photos as I vacation or of the various events I attend locally. From my experience, if you want quality - you have to pay for it. One month of the real estate photos and
product photos could easily pay for my investment. If my talent improves, my opportunity base could extend as well. I have a fairly conistent motto that allowed me to have fairly substantial cash in the bank as checks comming, whether I work or not for several years. My motto: I'll do for free and, if I'm any good, you'll pay me a reasonable price. I keep getting paid well this way and, best-of-all, have zero angry or upset customers and more than a few that wish I could have excelled better.

Now, I have to admit, that I have looked at many of Ron Reznick's photos and his reviews and they have helped immensly. ByThom.com also helped me, as well as many other sites. Most reviews tend to be unbiased statistical reviews that really don't give a user much understanding as to the REAL WORLD uses of lenses or other equipment for that matter. I much prefer the - I've used it; this is how I use, and most importantly - the is my completely blunt opinion of the item review.

I have budgeted approximately $500-6000 for camera and lens and about another $1500-2000 for accessories and software. It's a substantial budget, I am nervous and thank you for taking your time!
Old Jul 15, 2003, 7:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twesterd
To further complicate things a little, I contacted Kaiden, whom responded to many of my questions quickly, and they recommend the following: a Nikkor 60 Micro lens.

I'm not sure if this lens would have any other signifiicant uses for me or if one of the lenses I suggested would be adequate or maybe even another?
Have a look at http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2_PC.html - lens reviews. I've been considering the purchase of a telephoto for my D100 and I've found the comments there very useful.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2003, 10:09 PM   #7

Just a thought, maybe you'd find it of some value. For more architectural purposes, you could get the 85mm f/2.8D PC Nikkor:
http://www.nikonusa.com/usa_product/...uctNr=1458NAS#

It's manual focus, but at least it's got controls to correct/adjust perspective and depth of field. Maybe overkill for real estate but...

The 105mm micro lens would give you some working distance to add lighting for the products you want to shoot.

And perhaps for general experimentation, the upcoming 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR (yeah, it's like an alphabet soup :lol: ). Nice range, plus it's got a silent wave motor and vibration reduction. Not too expensive for the coverage and features.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote