Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 18, 2003, 12:36 AM   #11

By the way, might I add that Windows XP seems to be THE operating system to have with a digital camera? There are way so many useful bells and whistles here and there for dealing with digital images.... lets see...

* thumbnails right from the Explorer windows (just select Thumbnail view)
* EXIF data (very limited, however) visible by hovering the mouse pointer over the thumbnail
* on-the-fly reduction of images for e-mailing
* the wonderful My Pictures folder (also found on Windows 2000) easily found from anywhere
* a print image wizard that lets you select the size and quantity of pictures you want to print by just selecting them in the folder and then printing the images
* creates (limited in features) slideshows on CD with autorun
* the (hated by many) Windows Picture and Fax viewer is extremely useful and can even display pictures in a slide-show fashion, rotate pictures for corret orientation, print, and more

The only thing I added other than an image editor is this little program called cam2PC for the sole purpose of automating the process of transferring the pictures from my card reader to the My Pictures folder. I don't even use its browser which is slow as molasses compared to having it just open the folder with the new pictures where they show up quickly in thumbnail view once the transfer is completed.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2003, 1:46 AM   #12

Microsoft comes out with small utilities every once in a while for there operating systems and for Xp they have some pretty handy little tools. (Also they are free) Link below will take you there.

Image resizer is a program that allows you to right click on one or more pictures and click resize picture, then it gives you a few choices for resizing them. It is easy, and it works very well even though there really aren't any advanced controls.

I agree about XP being very well at managing images.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p.../powertoys.asp
djkothbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2003, 5:26 AM   #13

I notice its (windowsxp/pro/downloads ) will this down load work with XP home edition or just the XP pro edition.
David Elson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2003, 7:13 AM   #14

Why not just try replacing "pro" with "home" in the above URL to see if it works?
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2003, 7:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisr
By the way, might I add that Windows XP seems to be THE operating system to have with a digital camera? There are way so many useful bells and whistles here and there for dealing with digital images.... lets see...

* thumbnails right from the Explorer windows (just select Thumbnail view)
* EXIF data (very limited, however) visible by hovering the mouse pointer over the thumbnail
* on-the-fly reduction of images for e-mailing
* the wonderful My Pictures folder (also found on Windows 2000) easily found from anywhere
* a print image wizard that lets you select the size and quantity of pictures you want to print by just selecting them in the folder and then printing the images
* creates (limited in features) slideshows on CD with autorun
* the (hated by many) Windows Picture and Fax viewer is extremely useful and can even display pictures in a slide-show fashion, rotate pictures for corret orientation, print, and more

The only thing I added other than an image editor is this little program called cam2PC for the sole purpose of automating the process of transferring the pictures from my card reader to the My Pictures folder. I don't even use its browser which is slow as molasses compared to having it just open the folder with the new pictures where they show up quickly in thumbnail view once the transfer is completed.
Also, you don't have to install drivers for your usb card reader in XP. They are auto-detected.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2003, 9:26 PM   #16

Default thanks

enjoyed this thread. I downloaded Easy Thumbnails and gave it a test drive.

cool program. does the job very well, it was fast, and inexpensive.
steve-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2003, 4:46 PM   #17

if you use windows xp, only need to download powertoys for xp, in www.microsoft.com

easy, small e quick...
jmpub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2003, 5:15 PM   #18

Easy Thumbs, IrfanView and ThumbsPlus are good... I find ACDSee is the most Robust of them all.

http://www.acdsystems.com/English/Pr...DSee/index.htm

ops:
huebdoo is offline   Reply With Quote