Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 14, 2003, 11:24 AM   #1

Default Resize pics FAST

I was wondering if anyone knew of a freeware program that could resize pictures to a smaller file size fast and easy. I use XP and I use their powertoy for resizing and I love it, but I have a windows 98 labtop that I want to send pics when I am on vacation and I want to be able to reduce the size fast so I can send it out through email.

If this is a repeat, then please direct me to a post that was previously mentioned before. (Could not find anything doing a search)
djkothbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2003, 12:02 PM   #2
Boo

There are two free applications that both do a wonderful job (both have Lanczos3 resampling) of re-sizing, as well as many other wonderful features. Both are well worth having in your arsenal anyway and I use both daily. Irfan View, free from http://www.irfanview.com/ and Easy Thumbnails from Fookes software at http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/?Easy%20Thumbnails=2600
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2003, 2:49 AM   #3

The thumbnail program is exactly what I wanted. Quick, easy, reliable. Thanks for helping me, I did a search on the internet for a free program for many hours and I did not find anything that would not screw up the picture when making it smaller, so this is perfect.

Thanks a lot Boo.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 3:56 AM   #4
Boo

The best quality algorithm in Easy Thumbnails for resampling is Lanczos3 - it's slower than others, but it gives a very much better quality output - try the same image down to the same size with both bicubic and Lanczos and view them side by side and you'll see the difference in the details.

I was resizing some photos to e-mail yesterday and couldn't fathom why they looked really trashy and wondered if I'd had the camera on manual focus and they simply weren't sharp. I'd done a few and was begining to despair that the batch were worthless and spotted as I went to reduce another one, that the resampling had inadvertently defaulted to bilinear or something after a big crash earlier - I restored it to Lanczos3 and the quality and sharpness returned. It really does make that much difference.

The beauty of Easy Thumbnails is you can do whole batches to the same settings in one pass and if you're going a lot smaller, you can sharpen and brighten etc. at the same time. For actual thumbnails, I tend to make them slightly brighter and sharpen as I do them. Once you have your settings, if they're something you'd use a lot, you can right click the image in Windows and 'Make Thumbnail' and it will make a smaller copy to your previous settings without even opening the applicaiton.

The software is made by Fookes Software who are a Swiss company and all of their applications are wonderful and I use several daily - Note Tab Pro, their text editor is a cracker and permanenetly open on my desktop.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 8:49 AM   #5

What exactly do you mean by a cracker? I noticed that you can right click and click make thumbnail. That is a really nice feature. I did not have good results with the infranview program. It made my pics look fake looking, I wonder if I did somthing wrong.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 9:26 AM   #6
Boo

Quote:
What exactly do you mean by a cracker?
That it's incredibly good. Sorry, that obviously isn't a universal phrase.

Irfan View is equally good at resampling photos, if they looked bad, I'd suggest you did something wrong. With Irfan and most other applications, if I'm re-sizing smaller by some margin, I usually sharpen them first, then re-sample. I prefer to do it with degrees of USM in other applications, but for a quick and dirty re-size in Irfan View, I would sharpen, re-sample with Lanczos3 and then 'save as' however I wanted it.

When you choose to resample in Irfan View, a dialogue pops up and allows you to select the size of your finished file - either by percentage, pixel or some pre-set proportions - you need to ensure that the preserve aspect ratio is checked and in the bottom right quadrant, choose the algorithm to resample that you want to use - as I've said, I'd always choose Lanczos3 - if it's pre-selected to resize and not resample, you won't get as good a result - I just tried one and it looked very pixelated.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 9:24 PM   #7

I never cease to be amazed at the terrific tips that I stumble into at Steve's DC forums.

I down loaded Easy Thumb after reading the posts above. It is an exceptional piece of work and truly easy to use. I do a lot of Power Point presentations with embedded JPEG images. It has always been a pain to individually fiddle with each JPEG file to get its size down to where the .PPT file, into which the JPEG images are embedded, down to a manageable size (can be emailed and down loaded in one's lifetime).

Easy Thumb makes the file prep a snap.

I'm sure that I will find many other good uses for Easy Thumb, but I've used it for less than a day so far and my imagination has not yet caught up with learning process.

Thanks for the tip, Boo.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2003, 9:26 PM   #8

I never cease to be amazed at the terrific tips that I stumble into at Steve's DC forums.

I down loaded Easy Thumb after reading the posts above. It is an exceptional piece of work and truly easy to use. I do a lot of Power Point presentations with embedded JPEG images. It has always been a pain to individually fiddle with each JPEG file to get its size down to where the .PPT file, into which the JPEG images are embedded, down to a manageable size (can be emailed and down loaded in one's lifetime).

Easy Thumb makes the file prep a snap.

I'm sure that I will find many other good uses for Easy Thumb, but I've used it for less than a day so far and my imagination has not yet caught up with learning process.

Thanks for the tip, Boo.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2003, 10:00 PM   #9

djkothbauer, I have XP Pro, could you please tell me how to get to the Powertoy? I never heard about it before.
gardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2003, 12:24 AM   #10

I have XP also and whenever I want to e-mail pictures I just select the ones I want to send in their folder and then do a right-click and select Send to.../Mail recipient. A popup box appears asking if I want to make my pictures smaller or keep them in their original size. Works wonders. If you pick to reduce, all pictures are reduced to 640x480 (or thereabouts depending on aspect ratio). Regardless of your choice, all selected images then appear conveniently attached to a mail message for you to write your e-mail and send. Your original pictures remain untouched.

I don't know if there is another way to use this feature other than asking them to be sent via e-mail.

This might be what djkothbauer is referring to.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote