Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 14, 2003, 12:02 PM   #1

Default Can I Use a Lense To Increase Macro Capabilties?

I am new to the world of digital photography and before I go purchasing any cameras (see my post http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=11927 ) , I would like to ask; if I buy a camera which can not focus for macro closer than 6" (ie Minolta Models), will I be able to buy a macro lens to allow me to get closer? Are they relatively expensive?(I'll be on a tight budget after I purchase the camera). Are there any drawbacks to using a lens?
Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Matthew
caramelcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2003, 12:35 PM   #2

In general , there are many ways to do so. You can use close-up add-on lenses (filter style) to increase the macro capability. I had used cokin close-up filter since SLR film camera. You can also use a reversed SLR lense to act as a macro add-on lense (see the thread below)
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ight=nikkor+50

A 50mm, 1.8 SLR lense can be found used at relatively cheap. A cokin flter (+1,2,3) can also be found at quite low price.
You can also use a magnifying glass , worth the experience although vigneting is terrible, but it adds an artistic touch also
All the above methods work with my D7i
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 12:38 PM   #3

It's good that you're asking this before you buy.

With most digitals with retracting lenses you buy what's called a filter tube adapter which screws into the body and allows you to attach filters and lenses to the camera (unlike SLRs which allow you to screw directly onto the lens).

However with the Minoltas you mentioned in your other message (would have been nice to have mentioned them here so we wouldn't have had to skim the whole thread for that info), do not look like a filter tube can be attached to them. I've looked at my usual sources and they don't list any Minolta tubes.

Suggest you ask in the Minolta forum here to see if anyone there has any knowledge. Otherwise the suggestion is to get a camera that either has a super-macro mode, or can at lease accept macro-converters.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 12:41 PM   #4

Thanks for the sound advice, much appreciated .
Just to check, can the Minolta DiMAGE s414 accept lenses, and what size would I need?
Thanks again for the advice,
Matthew
Old Jul 14, 2003, 12:45 PM   #5

Again, suggest you ask in the Minolta forum here.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 12:56 PM   #6

OK, I found it is 35.5 mm (I just had to read the review properly)
I will post in Minolta forum, and also try to learn a little more about lenses etc.
Thanks for the help,
Matthew
Old Jul 14, 2003, 1:46 PM   #7
NHL

No tube is needed since the camera already has a filter thread!

Get a step up ring from the 35.5mm to whatever popular size filters out there (or existing lenses/filters that you migth have). It'll cost you less and pay attention to both of KCan advices...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 1:53 PM   #8

Thanks for stating that NHL...I didn't know that (that's why I directed them to the Minolta forum here where he's libel to get the best help). Many digital cameras will appear to have threads, but they're only decorative, and I didn't want to risk guessing.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 2:36 PM   #9

If you are really on a tight budget then a cardboard toilet paper tube with a magnifying lens will give you a close focus.

It is not very high-tech looking but it works well.
HaveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 3:13 PM   #10

Thanks for the advice guys, it's helped me out a lot.
I doubt I will ever need to use the toilet tube idea (my pockets aren't that empty!!), but I will bear it in mind because you never know :lol:
Regards,
Matthew