Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 5, 2007, 1:39 PM   #1

1) What do you think about this bag that I already have for just basic, temporary transportation of the camera:

2) Is it really bad to have the camera positioned in that case like it is? Is that going to put too much stress on the lens mount?

3) What is a good bag I can get that is small enough that I can stick it into my regular hiking backpack? (FYI - The bag shown in the above pictures fits in my hiking backpack.)
Contriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2007, 8:51 PM   #2

The mount isn't as fragile as that! Consider how you hold the camera and lens when shooting when you are holding just the lens or just the body.

Camera bags tend to get smaller as you accumulate, lenses, accessories and other junk! Try to plan ahead or you find you are forever buying bigger bags. Look at a modular system, such as Lowepro, where you can add pieces as you go along. http://lowepro.com/
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:47 PM   #3

Thanks for the response bob
Old Mar 5, 2007, 11:03 PM   #4

I have a friend that has a Canon Rebel XT that just got this backpack and is very happy.

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/44...packs-daypacks

It has the inner zip top to protect your gear and removable velcro dividers for your compartments which gives you some choices as you expand your gear. It seems to bea great bargain for the price.

Trique Daddi
Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 2:51 PM   #5

Do you happen to know if that back pack has a hardened section for the camera? What if you where to fall on your back? Is there anything to protect the camera from being crushed that is hard and not soft material?
Old Mar 6, 2007, 3:49 PM   #6

I am certainly no bag expert, but I do own a few.
I fully agree with the recommendation of lowepro. They make some of the best bags out there. If you have a larger frame (over 6-feet tall, for example) then you might not want to look at LowePro. From talking with people I know who are larger, they say that LowePro backpacks don't fit as well on them.

Which leads me to my main point. Picking a bag is partially a personal thing. What fits me well might not fit you well. If at all possible, take your gear, got to a store and try out the bags. If possible, put your stuff in them and walk around with the bag. This is the only true way to know the bag will fit your needs.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 4:48 PM   #7

I've been looking for a new bag ever since I got my Pentax K100D in December. Since then I've been using the LowePro bag I used for my Panasonic FZ30 which was just able to hold the camera. I knew that I wanted something bigger but had gotten pretty lazy about it, until the bag let a full set of Eneloops slip away into a snow bank unnoticed...

So, I did a bunch of shopping around online, but that really doesn't work for me on something like this. Best Buy, Circuit City and all the other local Walmarty types had pretty much the same selection of useless bags. A bunch of little digicam bags, vidcam bags, and oversized duffle bags.

What I really wanted was something that was large enough to hold the camera with a large lens attached, 3 smaller lenses, and room to spare for smaller accessories. I also want that without it being bulky. Call me picky. I didn't want a backpack because it just seemed too cumbersome, so I wanted something I could sling over my shoulder and access easily.

I eventually did find a somewhat local place that did have a decent selection, and found only one bag that suited my needs (they let me bring my camera and lenses to try, which was nice). It's the Tamrac Velocity 2. It has room for all that and then some but doesn't feel all bulgy. I took it out shooting today, despite it being around -15F with the wind chill, but there's barely been any sunlight in the last few months.

I wish it had some kind of shoulder pad, but other than it seems just right. I'm 5' 11" so maybe it would be less comfortable to someone shorter, but considering I didn't have much trouble wearing my leather jacket over it (unbuttoned), it'll probably seem even less bulky in warmer weather.

Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 9:01 PM   #8

Personally, I find it nearly impossible to take pictures with camera in a bag or backpack. I do have a gear bag I can toss in the truck when I'm travelling to or from, but it is usually only carrying spare lenses and accessories.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 11:00 PM   #9

Backpacks are great if you are traveling somewhere with your camera equipment - I can carry more weight on my back than I can in a regular shoulder bag. However, I hate using them when I'm hiking - always having to stop and take the bag off every time I want something out of it.

Recently I bought a Lowepro Slingshot 200 and wonder now why I didn't do it ages ago. I can carry my camera with a pretty long lens mounted (or not), 4 or 5 other lenses along with quite a few other stuff I seem to carry around (a couple of filters, extra cards, battery, small notebook and pen, small lens cleaning kit, the smaller rocket air blower etc.). It has room for more than what I was carrying in a niceTamrac shoulder bag and has a wonderful padded, shaped over-the-shoulder strap that makes it much more comfortable. Of course I've mostly filled it up now, but I don't mind.

I had looked at the Tamrac Velocity bags, but prefered the strap and easy (for me) access with the Lowepro. The 200 is really almost too big for me - but then I'm just over 5 feet tall and not very big, so most things that are roomy are huge for me.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 10:15 AM   #10

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:
Personally, I find it nearly impossible to take pictures with camera in a bag or backpack. I do have a gear bag I can toss in the truck when I'm travelling to or from, but it is usually only carrying spare lenses and accessories.

brian
LOL