Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 14, 2003, 3:49 PM   #1

Default how do i get this color?

hey guys,

take a look at this pic below.
it's the type color u see from movies on films.

question is, are we able to get this type of color using our digicams/SLRs? advice pls. thanks!

screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2003, 4:07 PM   #2
NHL

This is a highly saturated picture with very high contrast as well. You can probably get it with Photoshop or equivalent, but the lighting is also special which you might not get with your camera... alone.

See the highlights on both the left and right sides of the subject as well as the rear window backlighting? -> some front fill/reflector are also used! You'll need some sophisticated lighting here and not just your digicam and 1 or two flashes.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 4:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
This is a highly saturated picture with very high contrast as well. You can probably get it with Photoshop or equivalent,
i think i can figure out the lightings part.
can do it in PS u say? really? can specify how to?

thanx!
screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 5:09 PM   #4

What a loaded question that is!

Photshop is an incredible tool, and with experience can do unbelievably amazing things.

First off, it has numerous built-in "filters" and "effects". The basics are adjustments for Hue, Saturation, Brightness, Contrast, etc.

The advanced are unlimited, especially, with third party plug-ins.

If you want to be REALLY good, master using layers and masking. Most basic users try applying effects to the entire photo. Some work well, but most you really only want to apply to specific areas of the photo. Or, even more advanced, to specific colors or color channels.

One of my favorites, after adjustinf shrpness, color balance, etc is to mask the subject and apply a gaussian blur to the outer area. This can make photos with a very large DOF (depth-of-field) appear to have a very narror DOF. It works VERY well.

I would recommend: www.vtc.com It stands for "Virtual Training Center". They have online "courses" for learning a huge number of software products. It starts with the basics and goes to the highly advnaced techniques. For $25/ month you get access to ALL of their courses. Or you can select to purchase a CD course which is typically $99. These online and CD courses are GREAT for the advanced users as well because they are outlined well, and are broken into small, selectable, components. For me it is far easier to understand and use than most courses or worse - books - because they talk to you as you watch them perform the actions step by step using the actual software. It's almost impossible not to understand as they show you their techniques. I have learned how to use, very well: Photshop, Dreamweaver, Flash, Fireworks and Coldfusion. I am playing with 3D Studio Max now.
twesterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 10:15 PM   #5
NHL

Like twesterd has said Photoshop is an amazing tool and you can even add those highlights after the fact! But there are many ways to skin a cat:
Quote:
One of my favorites, after adjustinf shrpness, color balance, etc is to mask the subject and apply a gaussian blur to the outer area. This can make photos with a very large DOF (depth-of-field) appear to have a very narror DOF. It works VERY well.
I would apply Gaussian Blur to the entire area on another layer, and then remove the blur away from the subject with the eraser tool! :lol: :lol: :lol:
This trick works pretty well on portrait too where you want to blur away the skin with 30-40% opacity, but keep the facial features sharp... 8)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote