Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 15, 2003, 7:22 AM   #11

IMHO, the *only* reason to print at 4x6" is that is the cheapest size. But if that is used as the aspect ratio for the camera, a chunk of the image the lens produces is thrown away. Ideally, there would be no aspect ratio at all - the image would be a circle covering the the image the lens projects. That is not reasonable in terms of wastage of the sensor chip, so square is the best aspect ratio in terms of maximizing the use of the lens. Silicon is cheaper (less is used) when built into detectors than it is when built into a CCD.

My own favorite print size is 4x10" since that is also cheap (matches the chemical ASP panorama size). When putting an image on the web, there is no reason to have a well difined aspect ratio at all, e.g.,
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2003, 8:00 AM   #12

Mr. Drew, I have to say that's a great panoramic!!! You turned a negative into a great positive. I admit I don't comment on other people's pictures very often, but you have inspired me with that, and when I head into farm country on my vacation I'll have to try it.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2003, 9:00 AM   #13

Some of you have a few good points, but I still prefer a wider screen format. It would be really nice if some of these 3 or 4 Mpixel cameras had a selectable format (even round or square!), as there are probably pixels to burn on these larger CCDs. By the way, if widescreen is so terrible and counter-creative, why are all the HD plasma TVs coming out that way? I'm sure someone will expound on how engineers and corporate giants have done it to us again!!!
crashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2003, 9:58 AM   #14
NHL

Quote:
It would be really nice if some of these 3 or 4 Mpixel cameras had a selectable format...
Some cameras do, notably Nikon's Coolpixes series or my CP990 in particular where you can select 3:2 aspect ratio... It crops out the CCD resolution (so it defeats the higher Mpixels) but at least it saves on the storage space! :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2003, 11:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashley
... By the way, if widescreen is so terrible and counter-creative, why are all the HD plasma TVs coming out that way? I'm sure someone will expound on how engineers and corporate giants have done it to us again!!!
I haven't seen anyone claiming that wide is bad - I don't think it is at all. The real problem with getting wide shots is the focal length of the lens - and that has been shot down by the "my zoom is bigger than his" marketing.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2003, 4:17 PM   #16
NHL

Quote:
shot down by the "my zoom is bigger than his" marketing.
BillDrew got it right on! You can count the # of camera with a 28mm lens to no more than a handful if any! I normally want to catch more of a scene with my super megapixels camera not less :lol: :lol: :lol:

Creating a wideangle with no CA or distortion is also harder than making a megazoom... and the manufacturers cheat even more by making their wide even greater than 35mm! Tele adapters are also widely available, but try to find a decent 0.8 with no vignetting or CA/distortion.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2003, 10:40 PM   #17
lg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
but try to find a decent 0.8 with no vignetting or CA/distortion.
Is there one better than the WCON-08E?
lg is offline   Reply With Quote