Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which brand makes better LCDs?
Samsung? 1 33.33%
Sony? 0 0%
Viewsonic? 1 33.33%
MAG? 0 0%
NEC? 1 33.33%
Sceptre? 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 15, 2003, 5:13 AM   #1

Default Flat panel LCD monitors

HELLO EVERYONE! I haven't posted here in a year. I've missed this site terribly!! Now I need to catch up and familiarize myself with all the new products that have been introduced within the past year!!

My question was in regards to flat panel LCDs and whether they'd corrupt or distort the clarity of images when viewing them on LCDs as opposed to CRTs. I have a 17" CRT monitor right now and the pictures appear very clear, vivid and bright on it. I was wondering if the same quality can be found on an LCD. (17" Viewsonic, Sony or Samsung LCD--I haven't decided which to get yet.)
alwayzaskeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2003, 5:25 AM   #2
NHL

Unless you're in a dorm room or constrain by space... Stay with the CRT, or get a bigger one is my vote!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2003, 5:37 AM   #3

Add 'crt' option to your vote list and see what happens!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2003, 7:49 AM   #4

LCD vs. CRT, another vote for CRT...

For photo editing LCD monitors are NOT recommended...CRT is still the better device for colour critical work. LCD still has a long way to go before they have the colour accuracy the CRT has, not to mention the lack of available resolutions. Also LCDs is they are too vivid and bright, and your pictures will look bland when viewed on other people's monitors.

Not only is the LCD inferior (if you are serious about photo editing) and you are paying a premium for that inferior product, but the LCD has a much shorter life (the backlight), and less expensive LCDs might not have uniform backlighting...as well they can develop glitches (columns or rows of pixels that suddenly become stuck in one colour) whereas CRTs go on for years, can even go on for decades.

I dealt with buying a new monitor a few months ago and found it very hard to shop for a monitor, since many computer stores don't have all the monitors on display, and the big-box stores have only basic monitors on display. I spent weeks shopping around at the different stores, and even a computer show.

I knew I didn't want a monitor made by Sony, or had a Trinitron or Aperture Grill picture tube because of those damn 2-3 black horizontal lines that drive me up the wall (some people can't see them, but they always jump out at me). I decided on a 19" Samsung 957mb CRT which is very bright and clear (not to be confused with the 957nf which (I believe) is an aperture grille. You can read a review at:
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...,107477,00.asp

The only thing was I had to get a new tabletop for my computer desk I had built due to the weight of the 19" (~50lbs).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2003, 9:30 AM   #5

Another vote for CRT here.

- proper colour accuracy with a CRT.
- less expensive, meaning: if you have the money for a LCD put it towards a much larger CRT, eg: 21" with 1600x1200 @ 90Hz or more...

...I'm dreaming, I'll stop now. :shock:

-=-
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2003, 1:35 PM   #6

All the above is true, but - if you are short of space a TFT will do the job well, unless you are working to professional standards. I moved to a 17inch Phillips TFT and find it adequate for my needs. The biggest problem is that the image is seen by transmitted light (as opposed to phosphor excitation for CRT). This can make matching screen to print-out difficult. (But gives an excellent match between digicam lcd and TFT screen!). There are now professional colour match TFTs but you need a mortgage to purchase. Next year maybe.
brian1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2003, 4:18 PM   #7

A 19" Hi Res CRT monitor is the sweet spot size, based on minimum dot pitch. Go to 21" and you'll see lower res. and find so close it's a bit big, hernia producing, thirsty on juice, and dims the lights when degaussing at power up! Image stability is likely to drop off on bigger monitors,geometry,convergence, grey scale tracking etc. Even with a 19" monitor, stability usually comes after about 15 minutes use.

I know some of these things are crt's disadvantages, but as has been said, there isn't a flat panel unit yet that I would trust. A few thousand PS edited pics down the line and you might regret making your edit decisions on flat panel. I wouldn't regard parity with the camera lcd as a benefit. Assume the lcd/evf is always wrong first and use it just for framing - not colour correction.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2003, 4:23 PM   #8

add another to the CRT vote tally

When I got my new 'puter, I opted to go with the CRT over the LCD. I then used what I saved on the Lcd to get a better sound and video card. well and a bigger CRT monitor
macleod76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2003, 4:24 PM   #9

add another to the CRT vote tally

When I got my new 'puter, I opted to go with the CRT over the LCD. I then used what I saved on the Lcd to get a better sound and video card. well and a bigger CRT monitor
macleod76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2003, 6:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1208
All the above is true, but - if you are short of space a TFT will do the job well, unless you are working to professional standards.
OR you share your pictures over the net with others who use CRTs...then your pictures will look bland and you will be seen as a poor photographer.

As for space, you MAKE the space. As I wrote above I had to put a new top on my desk to distribute the weight and size of the monitor, plus I pulled my desk 6" away from the wall...these MINOR compromises were well worth the quality of my 19" CRT, and wouldn't trade it for an LCD even if paid the value of the LCD!
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote