Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 15, 2003, 9:03 PM   #1

Default Perspective Control

Is Perspective Control an important feature for the average user? I read that it can be a feature of the camera or attained in software. Which is better? Even if it is in the camera, is it a difficult thing to get right? Thanks.
gardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2003, 11:24 PM   #2

Perspective control can be done with a camera, but not with a consumer digicam. Even with a SLR, a shift lens is needed. It is a major reason that view cameras exist.

I'd suggest checking the first book of Ansel Adams' trillogy - "The Camera" - out of your library. Good reading, and some of the best photos ever made as examples.

The slickest way to deal with perspective control with software is Philo's -http://www.philohome.com/barrelpers/barrelpers.htm
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2003, 2:35 AM   #3

Default Re: Perspective Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardengirl
Is Perspective Control an important feature for the average user?
In many thousands of images, I have only used it a few times, to correct offensive mistakes when I've tilted the camera wrongly.

In Paint Shop Pro 7 it works well, but by trial & error. I believe Photoshop and other software has more scientific tools. I found the results in PSP7 surprisingly good. In particular, I'd photographed a church from the bottom of its inclined driveway, and was able to produce an image where the church didn't look as though it was falling over.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2003, 8:56 AM   #4

Paint Shop Pro 8 has excellent perspective correction tools. It will correct barrel, pincusion, fisheye, and the type of perspective you get from shooting a building at ground level. PSP8 is about $500 less than Adobe's Photoshop, but it really does about 90% of the same things, possibly a few things that PS doesen't.

Don't think about saving money by buying PS6, I have the manual, and PSP8 kicks the socks off of it.

If you like, I can upload some pics I took of a church where the filmed the wedding in The Sound of Music. The original had an odd perspective due to shooting it from ground level, it was solved in about 10 seconds. I don't yet have any pics where I have solved pincushing, barrel, or fisheye, because I haven't had those problems with my camera's yet.
Melboz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2003, 11:12 AM   #5

The reason I asked is because the Nikon 4500 has this feature. It is a camera I am seriously considering buying. I read a review that showed some pictures of the before and after with perspective control, and it was pretty amazing. I wanted to know how easy it was to do and how much the average user uses it. It sounds like it's not used very much. Still, it seems like a cool feature to have.

Right now, I really can't afford any software that costs hundreds of dollars. Maybe next year. My plan is to buy a camera in the $400 range. Cost of accessories in the $200-$300 range. The total is still more than I should spend, but I am going to go overboard this time.

Thanks for all your suggestions, I'll check up on them.

P.S. What did photographers do before software?? *lol* Isn't it nice to take a few hundred pictures until you find just the right one, that hasn't had any software manipulation?
Old Jul 16, 2003, 11:44 AM   #6

"Right now, I really can't afford any software that costs hundreds of dollars."

Actually, you can buy PSP8 for about $100 or less. It's really a great deal.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 12:30 PM   #7

Cool, thanks for the heads up.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 5:07 PM   #8

Here are is a photo before it was fixed.
http://www.pbase.com/image/19184297
And here is a photo after it was fixed.
http://www.pbase.com/image/19184314
And here is the fix in progress
http://www.pbase.com/image/19184552

As you can see, It's as simple as draging a polygon to match a known square or rectangle.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 6:15 PM   #9

Very cool. So what you essentially did was push the subject back, for lack of more technical terms?
Old Jul 16, 2003, 7:28 PM   #10

Here's an example of in progress tutorial to show how an image is dragged to straighten it out:

http://www.larry-bolch.com/perspective/photoshop.htm

Note that the pulling at all four corners aren't the same and all depends on the photo.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote