Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 11, 2007, 2:46 PM   #1

I just brought a used Elan 7e on ebay and i'm waiting for the camera to arrive. It comes with a 28mm-90mm kit lens. How do i learn to improve my picture taking skills without spending a lot of money on classes? My school does offer basic photography classes but my program does not allow me to take them (i'm also taking Guitar classes in school). Are there guide and books?

Thanks.
SayNoToPistons is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2007, 5:54 PM   #2

Your local library is a good place to start. There should be lots of books on photography. Take a lot of pictures and hang around the forum pages on the internet. C. W.
dwtbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 9:06 PM   #3

I really hope i can learn the curves of the manual setting also. Shutter, exposure, aperture, etc. Any suggestion on learning manual settings?
Old Mar 11, 2007, 9:30 PM   #4

SayNoToPistons wrote:
Quote:
I just brought a used Elan 7e on ebay and i'm waiting for the camera to arrive. It comes with a 28mm-90mm kit lens. How do i learn to improve my picture taking skills without spending a lot of money on classes? My school does offer basic photography classes but my program does not allow me to take them (i'm also taking Guitar classes in school). Are there guide and books?

Thanks.
There are several ways to think about this.

I too started in highschool. I got my education pretty much for free. I joined the yearbook staff as a photographer. They gave me a camera and a 50mm lens and all the black and white film I could shoot. That camera went everywhere with me, and I do mean everywhere. It was around my neck in every class, except gym class, for 3 years. Well to be more precisely a camera was around my neck. After a few months I ended up buying a used Nikon F2 and some glass. I learned from the other student photographer, experimented alot and read alot of books in our library. I also am responsible for over 1/3rd of the photos, not counting the Official Student Photos, in the year books from when I was in high school. Since we had our own darkroom that was another skill I learned. It also made shooting cheap.

You say that they offer photography classes in school. Which are you more serious about now and for the future, the guitar or photography. Perhaps your guitar lessons could be switched to a private teacher after school. If not, perhaps serious photography may just have to be a bit slower coming in your free time, as money allows until you are out of school. Reading is good with practice added as money allows.

You don't say if you have a part time job or not. How about seeing if you can get a job with a local photography studio if there are any in your area. For almost two years in high school I worked for a studio photographer in Kansas City and learned a tremendous amount. He mostly did fashion/catalog/advertising stuff, but it was a great learning opportunity and a little money on the side. It paid for some good glass for my Nikon.

There are many ways to go about this. Sit down, assess how much this and other things mean in your life and set your priorities and set your goals from there. Good luck.
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:38 PM   #5
rey

checkout this site:
http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/enjoydslr/index.html

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 6:06 PM   #6

As the previous poster eluded to - the internet is a great resource. If you Google "photography tutor" or "instruction" or something similar, you should come up with a lot of sites that will be of help. Some are just selling stuff, but a lot of them have good information to help you out.

Books are also good and worth a try, but also look for a good magazine too. It depends a bit on your budget, but there are some really good printed magazines out there that have tutorials in them.

Have a good flick through in the shop before you buy though, because some magazines concentrate on the technology rather than the technique.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Darrell.

http://www.digital-photography-tips.net/
dazp1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 8:46 AM   #7

You don't say where you live, so this might not apply.
but many town libraries get a variety of magazines, including ones on photography. If they only get one its probably Popular Photography, which is really a gear magazine and not really a technique mag... so it goes. But there are others that are and the lib might get them.

And the library will probably have photography books too. Just because it isn't about digital doesn't mean its useless. Almost all the concepts are the same and apply to both digital and film photography.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 11:35 AM   #8

my tip is practise, no matter what your kit is it will only be as good as you are.

online help will help u understand the functions of the camera for manual use, but u still need to get out and shoot.

analising your pictures to see why they work or dont work it always good for next time you are out

if lights good ill be out with camera somewhere, past couple of days its been flat and boring so no shots, except a sunrise that was nice

hope u enjoy enjoy your photography as much as most of us on here do.......help and advise is allways free flowing :-)
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 10:06 AM   #9

To go along with Reanimator's comments, I'll add this.
If you can find a club that you can go do... absolutely do it!
Any place that you can show your work and look and talk about photography and specifically pictures is always a good thing. You want a club that is less about contests and more about showing and looking at good pictures.

The biggest ways to improve are:
1) Take lots of pictures and learn from them (what worked and what didn't.)
2) Look at other people's work and learn from them (what worked and what didn't.)

Learning how to use your camera is good... you need that to get the "most" out of it. But to get the "best" out of it is more than just knowing the camera. It's also about looking at a scene, seeing the picture in the scene and taking that picture. Not everything you see that looks good will actually look good as a picture. That is all right. As you get better you'll learn to see what will work well as a picture.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 3:37 PM   #10

Thanks guys. I just got my Elan 7e. IT was mail in a box in two separate wrappings. One for the camera body itself and the 28-90mm lens. No caps for the body and lens. here are my questions:

- Should i buy a lens cap?
- What can i use to cover the exposed lens for now?
- The 28-90mm lens seems like it's a little dirty. I dont have a cleaning kit, what should i use to clean it instead? I have microfiber cloths i brought since i detail cars and the work requires scratchless towels.
- The mirrors in the body (where the lens meets the body) seems to have some dust on it. What should i use to clean it?

Is it possible to check the camera to see if it's functioning 100% without actually taking pictures and developing them? Batteries came with it and i turned it on and tried to test it out, everything seems fine and looks fine.