Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 23, 2007, 7:33 AM   #31
Administrator

You may want to give Lightzone a try, too.

Steve just ran a press release where Lightcrafts is giving a discount on Lightzone to users of Lightroom, Apple Aperture and iPhoto:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html#lz_dis

You can use it at no charge if you install it in Linux.

It's user interface takes some getting used to. But, it's starting to grow on me a bit, and it's a pretty fast browser for raw files, too.

The Windows and Mac version of it are $149.95 or $249.95, depending on the version without any discounts.

http://www.lightcrafts.com/index.php

Here's where you can download it for Linux (free):

http://sonic.net/~rat/lightcrafts/

From my perspective, it's so easy to setup your PC to dual boot both Windows and Linux, it's a "no brainer" to do it that way, since you can take advantage of both Windows and Linux tools. You don't have to choose between them. Use both. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 12:17 PM   #32

Got the computer Monday and got it set up Tuesday. It is a really nice machine. Will put it to the test this weekend when I take photos at an ACC Rowing event (UVA, Duke, Ohio, Univ of Mich). Will report once more after that.

Thanks to everyone for their help with this project. Hopefully it helped others on the lookout for a new laptop as well.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 8:07 AM   #33

One final report on the laptop. This past weekend I took over 700 (5mega-pixelset to fine mode)images of an ACC-Big Ten Rowing race where I live. The laptop worked very well in the speed of the upload from my 2x 1GB memory cards via USB memory card reader, in letting me run through the images very quickly and slectivly deleting images that were out of focus or duplicates as I went and in the speed Abobe was able to open and process my images.

Also for anyone wondering I got Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0 and it is way better than version 2.0 I was running on my old machines.

The only downside of this laptop is their is no memory card reader and I have to carry one with me when I take the laptop out on a photo adventure. Other than that I would recommend the specs for the system I got for anyone else looking for a good laptop for photography just try to find a brand with a 4-in-1 or 5-in-1 memory card reader built in.

Thanks to everyone especially Jim C for there help, advice and reccomendations for this machine. I am truley happen wuth the end results.

dave

(AKA Photo 5)
Old Apr 3, 2007, 11:10 AM   #34

Rather than carrying a separate reader, does the camera have a USB connector? You could just hook it directly to the computer.
coachjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 11:51 AM   #35

coachjames wrote:
Quote:
Rather than carrying a separate reader, does the camera have a USB connector? You could just hook it directly to the computer.
The reason many of us don't hook the camera(s) directly to the computer is that when that method of file transfer is used a heavy load is placed on the camera batteries. We'd prefer saving our camera batteries for taking pictures.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 2:16 PM   #36

The reaon I do not just cary a UB cable and hook up the camera is the memory card reader i 2 t 3 times fater in downloading the photos than my camera is.

dave