Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 17, 2002, 7:55 PM   #1

Default help newbie

hi guys, i'm new and i want to buy a nice digicam for the money, what do u guru's recommend? looking to spend around $200-$300.

i mean, can u get high quality pics at this price? like this

and is can someone tell me why some 2.0 are more or the same price than some 3.0 mega pixels?

smokescreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2002, 4:38 PM   #2

Lens quality, newest or aging technology, features, and brand name all affect price. Also what's included in the package. Probably the biggest factor is lens quality and optical zoom (ignore digital zoom claims--it's just cropping in the camera).

Here's a suggestion from one reviewer who sticks his neck out to recommend specific cameras:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/FORTIGHT.HTM
JimHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2002, 1:01 AM   #3

so does the mega pixel determine how large u can take ur pix clearly, like will a 2.0 quality be the same as a 3.0 if the pic size were the same?

also, can someone tell me why the canon a40 be more than the s200 when the a40 has 3x optical zoom plus the Optical real-image zoom viewfinder... just cause the size and design?

http://www.bestbuy.com/compare.asp?t...17&Remove.y=11

[Edited on 7-21-2002 by smokescreen]
smokescreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2002, 3:20 PM   #4

Don't expect camera prices to match value like a commodity. The S200 is much more compact than the A40 and for some folks that is a high value feature. I like my A10 but it's not a pocket camera unless I'm wearing cargo shorts.

As a general rule more pixels means a better image but it depends on your use. If your photos are destined for the web they will be cropped and resized to sub-megapixels sizes anyway so a 1.3mp point and shoot may do as well as a 5mp semi-pro camera.

If you're printing things are different. I try to have no less than 150 linear pixels per inch on paper. That means at least 2 megapixels for inkjet 8x10s so you don't see jaggies. If you want to allow room to crop then 3mp or more is wise.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote