Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 16, 2003, 10:41 PM   #1

Default earase or format smartmedia cards?

Is it better to earase or format smartmedia cards? which makes them last longer... also if I have two cards and I fill up one can I remove it and still save the pictures? thanks fd
fumbduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2003, 11:05 PM   #2

As to your second question, smart media like all flash memory is non-volatile, meaning it doesn't require power running through it to retain whatever it is storing. So unless the card is damaged, it will retain its images inside or outside of the camera until you delete them.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2003, 2:13 AM   #3

I have begun reformatting my CF card often, because I kept getting corrupted files. I have been told that this will not shorten the life of the card - my fingers are crossed.

Only problem with reformatting is that the file (picture) numbers are reset and this is sometimes inconvenient when shooting away from home and I'm downloading to a laptop - I have to rename each shot, and that's something I prefer to do on my own system when have time.

Now I have an Xdrive which has eliminated the file number reset problem because each saved batch is created in a new folder.
JanetKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2003, 8:37 AM   #4

Janetkp
I got a Canon A60 and its gives the options to continue on the same numbering pattern even though u change the card or reset the numbering each time the card is changed. So maybe you can check for that option on your cam.

Cheers
2spyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2003, 11:26 AM   #5

2spyc, I do have the options to have Reset 'On' or 'Off' and I have set it to 'Off', and keep doing so.

Don't we wish the camera manufacturers would attend these forums and provide some quick technical assistance. (^J^)
Old Jul 17, 2003, 11:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetKP
Don't we wish the camera manufacturers would attend these forums and provide some quick technical assistance.
Actually, NO!!! I don't know how many times the manufacturers have given wrong answers to questions (when someone has called the manufacturer, and then reported back here the manufacturer said such and such).

The real people who know the cameras are the people who use them, and the best places is forums dedicated to a camera's brand...there are several forums here dedicated to particular brands.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2003, 11:48 AM   #7

Good answer, Mike. An experienced product-user is often more knowledgeable than a manufacturer's hired hand.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 12:37 PM   #8

To be on the safe side I always format mine.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2003, 12:41 PM   #9

That's good to know, Steve. I shall keeping reformatting rather than 'Erase all'. (^J^)
Old Jul 17, 2003, 1:56 PM   #10

but do we format in camera , in cf card reader or doth it not matter ?

Stef
stefank is offline   Reply With Quote