Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 19, 2007, 7:39 PM   #1

I have tried creating either a vcd or a svcd using proshow gold. The slideshow is created and works fine on my computer but it will not work on my stand alone dvd. I have a Panasonic dvd recorder and also a cheap wal-mart dvd. *

please help.
nitram22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:33 PM   #2

ur dvd player may not be vcd compatable not all are........burn it to dvd instead

by walmart i take it you are american so make sure it was ntsc u made not pal vcd, but id suspect its because your cheap player just isnt compatable

very little difference in price of blank dvds and cds these days and burners are cheap

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 9:48 PM   #3

When making your DVD you must use -R (minus) DVD disc's. +R DVD disc's will not function in most all DVD /TV players. Pro-Show gold is a really good program. I had it and now use Producer. I find that Sony or Taiyo-Yuden disc's seem to work better then most other brands. The DVD slide shows I produce are a large part of my photo business. People really like them and don't mind paying for the convenience of viewing their pictures set to music and a little narration on their televisions.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 5:04 AM   #4

nitram22 wrote:
Quote:
I have tried creating either a vcd or a svcd using proshow gold. The slideshow is created and works fine on my computer but it will not work on my stand alone dvd. I have a Panasonic dvd recorder and also a cheap wal-mart dvd. *

please help.
A VCD disc should work on most dvd players. Make sure that the standard you use (ntsc, pal, etc.) is compatible with the dvd player.

SVCD is much better quality than VCD but not all players play SVCDs. Check your player manual and see if it plays SVCD.

Had the same problem as yours.
bayani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 6:36 AM   #5

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
When making your DVD you must use -R (minus) DVD disc's. +R DVD disc's will not function in most all DVD /TV players. Pro-Show gold is a really good program. I had it and now use Producer. I find that Sony or Taiyo-Yuden disc's seem to work better then most other brands. The DVD slide shows I produce are a large part of my photo business. People really like them and don't mind paying for the convenience of viewing their pictures set to music and a little narration on their televisions.

Ronnie
ronnie

must be different over here as dvd players will read either, and will also play pal or ntsc

what u gotta be carefull of is with older dvd writers that u didnt get "+R" if u had "-R" and vice versa........all new writers now are compatable with both and dual layer

nitram22

dont think pro show gold does dvds, i think its just producer
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 9:08 AM   #6

DVD+R does work, although it is not as universal as -r. From years of being in the business, +r was compatible with about 85% of set top players vs over 90% for -r. Any player manufactured in the last 2 years or so should be able to read either -r or +r with no issues.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:46 AM   #7

Hi Nitram22,

Pro-Show gold does produce DVD's for your TV.

As far as DVD-R disc's are concerned I have not had a single failure using the minus-R format disc's. I had quite a few re-do's a couple of years ago using +R disc's. It seemed the +-R's would not work on a lot of different players. I called Panasonic and Sony and was told to use minus-R disc's and after I switched I had no more problems. I did have problems writing to Maxell and some Verbatum media so I switched to Sony or Taiyo-yuden media and had smooth sailing ever since the switch.

Pro-show Gold is a very good program. The only reason I up-graded to producer was they had a very good Show Special at the PMA convention in Orlando. The big difference in producer is it will allow layers and a few other things I never use or need to. Gold will produce excellent DVDslide-shows for any television set with a DVD player.

Ronnie
Old Mar 23, 2007, 3:24 PM   #8

This message is for Ronnie948. First of all Thanks for the reply.

On another note i was wondering if you would have any advice on how to produce profesional slideshows. things like ... lenght of slideshow , type of transitions etc...

Thanks again.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:05 AM   #9

Hi Nitram22,

I try to keep my sideshows between 30 and 45 minutes for weddings and around 20 minutes for private party's or family functions. I use the auto transitions feature for transitions. I have no time limit for events like Bike Week or Spring Break shows.

Go to www.photodex.com

click "SHARING" at top of window

put "ronnie948" in browes member

I have three slide shows listed on here for you to view.

The hard part is trying to find music to fit the mood of the photographs.

Ronnie

Old May 12, 2007, 10:08 AM   #10

to Ronnie948

If I could trouble you once more for some info.

I have created a slide show with PSG. As I insert my dvd it begins to play with a menu
showing four different slideshows, this is normal,

what I question is the menu loops every 4-5 seconds.

For example if i was to toggle lefdt or right, up or down, to select a show if I do not select one within this 4-5 seconds the menu resets to the first show. Is this normal or can the loop time be changed.

Thanks.