Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 20, 2003, 3:35 PM   #11

I can't believe people would suggest a camera such as the 750 when the original inquirer specifically requrested devices with favorable characteristics for action photography.

I suggested several modesl with very good AF times and in one case, unmatched burst modes.

IR measured min. AF/shutter lag to be 1.11 seconds on c750, adn that does not include the entire write cycle(which is 2.4 seconds for each shot toal on the c750!). That is literally an eternity. COnsider the Minolta 7Hi's AF and lag total, as fast as 0.61 seconds or the Fuji 602 as fast as 0.56 seconds or the Olympus E-10 as fast as 0.54 seconds. Now, consider cycle times(AF, capture, write until the next image) the fuji wins at approx. 0.9 seconds possible total af/lag/write cycle for single shot mode(s)(7hi-1.16, E-10-1.0, c750-2.44seconds). ANd if you want to have teh highest chance of capturein something, the final 5 moe of the fuji allows 5frames/second continuous bursts to be buffered as you hold the shutter down, when you let go, the frame at where you released the shutter and teh 4 frames back one second are saved for an effective 'instant replay' of that second even in the highest quality/resolution mode.

The c-750 may be suited for some things, but action is not one of them compared to other consumer class digicams available.

-Chris
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2003, 5:15 PM   #12

Hi Chris,
Okay, OKAY!!!! :lol: You win, in terms of actual suitability to sports action. Picture Taker also mentioned OTHER prerequisites for his camera purchase however, including:
Quote:
I want something with a rather good zoom and of course gives WONDERFUL photos. I'm still learning in the photography area, but I want something that I can use auto or manual settings.
Using his whole "shopping list" of camera needs, my experience with my 505v and C-2100uz has made me value the "balance of needs" which I addressed in recommending the Olys in my first response here. Action photos are in reality only a small part of my photography, as it seemed would maybe be the case for Picture Taker. As I addressed, the camera characteristics I have grown to appreciate the MOST over the past few years has been the wonderfully creative abilities afforded by my Olys amazing zoom, and its' superb and reliable autofocus system. Both of these characteristics have also been incorporated into the Oly C-740 and C-750. Perhaps it comes down somewhat to personal "style", but I know that my photography very noticeably improved, way back in the 70's when I got my first 80-240mm zoom fo a Mamiya SLR. I learned right there that (for me) the value of a long zoom lies in its' amazing abilities to help with creative and artful composition. I also love the "you are there" feeling of wide angle group portrait close-ups. This can be very nicely mimiced by a long zoom for wonderful candids. The almost "cult status" among 2100uz lovers is very much related to its' wonderful zoom and resultant composition enhancements.

My Sony had 505v had a zoom lens equivalent of 38-190mm. The Fuji S602 has a zoom lens equivalent of 35-210mm. Both C-740 and C-750 Olys have zoom lens equivalents of 38-380mm, as does my Oly 2100uz. I think I have shown and experienced that action photography (usually one frame at a time) has been very possible with my Oly. I had no reason to doubt that being even "faster" using the pre-focus mode that the C-740 and C-750 could also fill part of Picture Taker's need list. Balancing that whole list, including his other family members using the camera made me think that the Olys might be a good suggestion. Several "friends" on different digital photo sites have Fuji S602s, and I have been awestruck by MANY!!! of their photos. Even so, my Oly recommendation to Picture Taker still stands. Oh and BTW, I have great faith that the Olys are suited for far more than just "some things"!

And.... hasn't this been much more "fun" than mowing the lawn, which is what I was supposed to be doing today! :lol: Curt
Digeeedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2003, 5:37 PM   #13

The cameras i listed are better suited for things you quoted from the original poster: "I want something with a rather good zoom and of course gives WONDERFUL photos. I'm still learning in the photography area, but I want something that I can use auto or manual settings."

In addition, the cameras I specified feature superior quality lenses(considerable less CA and sharper), much higher measured resolutions and can come close or exceed the zoom of the c750 with very high quality add on lenses tat will cause very little to almost imperctible degradations. Though, I do contend that such high quality add on lenses are heavy, large and pricey(Olympus TCON-300, SONY VCL-HGD1758, etc.). Though, the size of these cameras with these lenses will be massive compard to a c750. So, if size is a concern you can not beat the equivalent telephoto lengh of the c750 realtive to it's size with any of the cameras I listed. As a matter of fact, tht is what 'I' consider the c750's strongest attribute. It is, IMO, a good quality camera with extraordinary focal length attributed to it's physical size. For that niche, is their a better camera? I think not! This discussion almost make me want one now, as i would like something 'pocketable' with that zoom! Thanks alot for tempting me to spend more money! You rotten Olympus owners! Hehe. :-)

-Chris
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2003, 5:53 PM   #14

LG!!!
Great to hear from another Uzi fanatic!!! Will definately "experiment" with your suggestion re: full-time autofocus turn-off and pre-focus. Mainly used full-time for kids batting and running towards me behind 1rst base. Certainly reduces battery and lens motor "burn-out worries! Thanks for the tip. Curt
Digeeedad is offline   Reply With Quote