Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:36 AM   #1

Some of my best pics were taken from impossible angles, thanks to an older Nikon Coolpix with a swivel screen. I want to step up to more pixels and perhaps to a DSLR but is there a feature that allows me to view the picture on an external portable LCD so that I can still see when I cannot physically be behind the camera?
I know that the latest reincarnation of the Coolpix S4 still has the swivel but the reviews have been disappointing.
moreover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2007, 4:44 PM   #2

Most point and shoot cameras have live television feed where what ever is on the LCD or EVF will show on the TV screen.

DLSRs are another story, with only a few exceptions they can only review on the LCD or TV what has been taken. I don't think the few that have live view can output to TV other than in review mode.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 6:17 PM   #3

thanks for the reply. Pity though, as there are high res 7in screens available now that can be battery powered. For framing the subject even a cheapo device would suffice.
moreover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 6:21 PM   #4
Administrator

Zigview

or, get an optical angle finder (available for many DSLR models).

Here's an example:

Angle Finder for Sony DSLR-A100

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 7:57 PM   #5

Two "superzoom" class cameras have swivel screens if that's a must, the Canon S3IS and the Panasonic FZ30. Comparing these cameras to a DSLR is kind of an apples-orange deal. They all take pictures but ultimately the DSLRs are more versatile overall.

The latest LCDs have very wide angles of view. You might try just hold the DSLRs your interest in over your head and see if you can still see the image well enough to frame the photo ifthe attachments JimC suggested don't get you the angles you're looking for
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 9:13 PM   #6

Bob Nichol wrote:
Quote:
Most point and shoot cameras have live television feed where what ever is on the LCD or EVF will show on the TV screen.

DLSRs are another story, with only a few exceptions they can only review on the LCD or TV what has been taken. I don't think the few that have live view can output to TV other than in review mode.
When the Olympus E-330 came out, I recall some displays were showing it tethered to a computer monitor, but I don't know whether that was an innate functionality or something they specifically did for the display.

{If onboard liveview is the issue, of course the E-330 has liveview, plus the new E-410 and E-510 (on sale late April and June, respectively) have it as well. The E-1's successor (on sale within the year) will also have liveview and a swivel screen, although whether live feed to an external monitor isn't known; if any of them have it, tho, it should.}

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote