Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 18, 2003, 12:12 PM   #1

Default Camera with continuous shooting?

Camera with continuous shooting?

This may sound like a daft question but does anyone know of a digital camera that support continuous shooting?

Let me explain, I'm after a camera that will automatically take a picture every 10 seconds or so until the memory card is full.

I have a project where I want to mount a camera onto a motorcycle and let it take pictures every few seconds, anyone know if this is possible? or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks

Rig
rigsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2003, 1:05 PM   #2

The term is called, "time lapse photography."

Unfortunately, I don't know a camera that does it without a computer attached.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2003, 7:00 AM   #3

Hi,

I've just had a quik flick through the manual for my Powershot S50 - it can take automatically take pics at intervals of 1-60 minutes. It calls it 'intervalometer' but it is essentially time lapse.

I've not tried it yet - still getting to grips with everything else it does!!

What kind of price were you looking to pay??
mattUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2003, 7:43 AM   #4
NHL

The Minolta's D7s have built-in intervalometer as well. When programmed for longer period the camera actually shut-off and turn back on when required, snap the picture then shut off again so that the battery can last a long time. I believe the Oly E10/20 does this as well:

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...022&highlight=
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2003, 8:49 AM   #5

it seems that most of the digicams short interval limited to a 1x/minute interval. i think the reason for this is due to the lag time in 95% of the AF systems used in these. even turning the AF off will make no difference.

i can tell you that the EOS 1Ds. 1D. and i believe 10D will shoot at any interval pretty much with the TC80N3 Timer Remote. you would need to be fairly serious about doing this for the investment needed. this ain't no cheap date.

what it will give you is self timing, interval from 1s-99h, exposure count, long exp timer, and last but not least a plain old cable based remote switch. basic price: body, basic lens, and the TC will set you back about $2000.

i don't know if your that serious.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2003, 9:39 AM   #6

Default Re: Camera with continuous shooting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigsville
I have a project where I want to mount a camera onto a motorcycle and let it take pictures every few seconds, anyone know if this is possible?
Given the vibration and camera movement, I don't you're going to get very good quality however you do it, so have you considered a digital camcorder? You could capture frames from the tape, or use its still frame facility, or something.

I have got wobbly but televisually acceptable results with my antique Video8 camcorder clamped to my bicycle handlebars
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2003, 10:06 AM   #7

Duh! i didn't even think of that aspect. but then he could be on a honda goldwing.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2003, 9:24 AM   #8

When I read this, the answer that came to my mind was the same that sjms thought of, the Canon TC-80N3. It is the expensive route, but it would give you all the control you could ever desire. Check out this review of it if you are really serious about this:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/tc-80n3.shtml

Ya know... there is really no reason why this wouldn't be compatable with cheaper canon digital cameras (cheaper than their digital SLRs, that is) so you might still consider this gadget.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote