Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 18, 2003, 1:33 PM   #1

Default Resize or sharpen first?

When I subscribed to a filmscanners discussion group, I recall the gurus there generally applied USM sharpening as the *last* twiddling process before printing.

I've seen others here describe sharpening *before* resampling/resizing.

When I experiment, I find it difficult to decide if there's a difference. In principle I should expect to do sharpening last, at the correct viewing size, so that the altered pixels near edges aren't resampled.

What do the experts think?
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2003, 1:37 PM   #2
Administrator

Sharpen -after- resizing, definitely.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2003, 3:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
Sharpen -after- resizing, definitely.
That's what I thought. TVM (and for the forum, too)
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2003, 4:27 PM   #4

USM last!
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2003, 4:43 PM   #5

So,

Are you guys telling me that I should save my corrected images unsharpened? And when it's time to either use "Save to Web" in PS or print, that's when I should apply USM? Btw, I use Fred Miranda's Edge sharpen method which is actually great, IMHO. Currently, I've been doing a lot of web-presentations instead of printing. So, I post-process the originals including sharpen, and save it like that. I do this to allow me to send the real-size file to the customer already sharpened. Then, when I exhibit the stuff over the web, I just resize using Save for Web. Am I doing this the wrong way?

Regards,

Oz
The_Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2003, 4:00 AM   #6

AND........Apply any noise reduction BEFORE resize,USM or sharpening!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2003, 5:23 AM   #7
Boo

I think it rather depends on how you shot your image in the first place and your proposed end use.

I disable in-camera sharpening in the Fuji 602 I use (i.e. sharpening set to soft), which tends to leave photos rather soft and for printing from the full size image I certainly need to apply sharpening before printing. Much of my work is for web use, so the images tend to be resampled appreciably smaller for web publishing, in which cases, I sharpen/USM quite hard with a large-ish radius first, resample, then apply USM again with a much smaller radius and less of it - for me, my camera and my setting - that combination works to my satisfaction - I suspect each camera and user may vary slightly and I doubt there's any right or wrong way.

Certainly if you resample, you'll definitely need to apply USM after that process, but whether you do or not as well beforehand depends on how the image came out of the camera. A large radius USM at that point can often rescue a seemingly too soft image out of camera.

Someone sent me a magazine article on USM recently and in that it says sharpen an image twice at most, never three times - if it is sharpened in camera when the photo is taken, which most do by default unless you switch that option off - that is your first sharpening - so only apply one more cycle of it. Because I don't sharpen in camera, because I prefer to do it myself manually, I can get away with another cycle of sharpening in post-processing.

I also (well, my family now more than me) use a Fuji 2800 which is great for landscapes etc. and sharpens quite hard in camera - I certainly wouldn't apply sharpening before resampling in that case as the image is already sharp enough - much more so than the 602 at my chosen settings.

I would say it would completely depend on your camera, settings and end use, as to which is most appropriate. Try treating the same image different ways and see which you like best.

Most of the images in my portfolios are sharpened quite hard out of camera, re-sampled and then more lightly USMed before saving. See for yourself if you like their appearance. USM should always be the last process applied to an image before saving, after all your other tweaks.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote