Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 25, 2007, 9:17 AM   #1

Fujifilm FinePix F20/F30

Turning a Fujifilm FinePix F20/F30 into a Webcam?

Almost all Sony cameras work like this: Power on the camera, and immediately it starts sending actual video on the yellow, composite video-out port. No need to press record at all, it just works, and sends it out in realtime. As can be seen here: http://esupport.sony.com/perl/tutorial-display.pl?tut_id=380&mdl=DSCS80

I have scoured the net but I cannot find the answer: Does the FinePix F20/F30 do the same? If I buy one, will I be able to record a realtime stream just like with Sony cameras?

The reason I ask is because I love the movie quality (30fps, 640x480, great image) from the F-series. And coupling that with very good photos makes it an attractive camera. But if I buy it without the ability to capture video in realtime from it, then it is a waste of my time and money.

In case this doesn't work, what other camera do you recommend? Sony would be a pretty obvious competitor since it does exactly what I asked for, which is to send realtime video on the composite out-port (USB/FW is of course fine as well, doesn't have to be composite). And any other camera that functions as a webcam while having very good quality (comparable to F30) is a competitor to me.

So please, help me out. I will buy the camera in 14 days.

Best Regards,
Christopher

For my reference:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/fuji_f20.html
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_.../fuji_f30.html

c.hilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2007, 11:54 PM   #2

Help please.

If the F20/F30 isn't capable of outputting LIVE video on the video-out port, then I need a camera with comparable photo quality, and the same quality movie mode (640x480, 30fps, impressive image quality). I know that Sony cameras do the LIVE video output but I do not know a single thing about Sony's models.

What I want is a high quality digital camera for landscape photos on a hobby level. That's why I like the F30, it captures impressive details. And the movie mode was good enough that I will be able to record some good events with it.

But the ability to record live to a computer is a must. I am doing live radio shows online and I need to capture LIVE video for them.

I am buying the camera in 12 days, so lend me a helping hand please. :idea:

Best Regards,
Christopher
Old Mar 27, 2007, 6:17 PM   #3

Typically, digicams can't be used as webcams.

I don't know about the FinePix F20/F30 specifically, but I don't believe they can. Typically, when a camera is connected to a computer (via USB), the computer only sees the camera as a card reader. The camera might be able to capture video, but only to store it or to send it to a TV Out port, not the USB Port, which is where the computer would expect to see a webcam. And if your computer has a TV In port, you could use the computer to watch the video (like a TV) or record it (like a VCR), not send it to the web.

But there are some that do, and maybe the FinePix F20/F30 can.

Webcams can cost as little as $30. Why not buy the best P&S camera for thephotos and videos you want, and get a seperate webcam?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:42 PM   #4

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Typically, digicams can't be used as webcams.

I don't know about the FinePix F20/F30 specifically, but I don't believe they can. Typically, when a camera is connected to a computer (via USB), the computer only sees the camera as a card reader. The camera might be able to capture video, but only to store it or to send it to a TV Out port, not the USB Port, which is where the computer would expect to see a webcam. And if your computer has a TV In port, you could use the computer to watch the video (like a TV) or record it (like a VCR), not send it to the web.

But there are some that do, and maybe the FinePix F20/F30 can.

Webcams can cost as little as $30. Why not buy the best P&S camera for thephotos and videos you want, and get a seperate webcam?
Thanks for trying to help! You're my first and only response. I'm not talking about connecting it through USB. I have a video capture card and some digital cameras (Sony does it) will send LIVE video on their video/tv-out port. It's composite video over a simple cable that I plug into my capture card. The video feed can be recorded live, or broadcast on the internet or in a chat application.

I am in love with the FinePix F30 picture quality, but I want to know if it has this video-out feature? Otherwise I have to look for another camera, as I want to be able to see myself when I am recording live to a computer. Recording to a memory card and uploading it to a computer is not as intuitive, and the live feedback is lost.

I don't know anything about those Sony cameras. Are any of them good? More or less all of them seem capable of sending composite video through their video out port.

Best Regards,
Christopher
Old Apr 12, 2007, 1:00 AM   #5

In general. digicams ouput the same thing on the video terminal that is seen on the LCD. I am not familiar with the Fuji, though, so can't say positively.

The video output is not necessarily the same as the resolution with which the camera takes video. The specifications for NTSC video will only give you around 330 lines of horizontal resolution. A 320x240 video is nearly as good as you will be able to view on a standard definition television. For HD you would need a different type of connection.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 1:35 PM   #6

Thanks for the hint, VTphotog! I didn't know that they usually just output what you see on the screen, I thought it was the full 640x480 30fps video that it is able to record.

I just came up with a brilliant idea :idea:, I have a photo store nearby with an incredibly nice owner, and I'll ask him to come home with me with a FinePix F30 or F20 and try it out, to see if it broadcasts video. Knowing his track record of being a nice guy I think he is willing to do this. If it works, I buy the camera off him, if not, I try the Sony cameras; which I know are capable of this.