Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 25, 2007, 1:07 PM   #1

I am going on a road trip from Seattle to Southern California for two weeks. There will be lots of sun. what type of filter would I need for mid day sun shooting. I know mid day shooting is not good. But since I am on a road may not have much choice at certain areas. I already have circular polerizer filters. In my past I have notice some of my photos look like dust clouds in the backround, but it maybe the haze from the sun. Thanks....
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2007, 4:12 PM   #2

The camera should be able to handle any lighting conditions on earth without any filters.

Polarizer would be used to get the sky bluer, but only works when the sun is over your shoulder. You would also use it for reducing reflections in water or window glass or the like.

Neutral density filters would be used to allow you to use a slower shutter speed. Example would be to get that silky look to flowing water.

Dust clouds in the background could be smog! Not much can be done about atmospheric conditions except complain about them! I have recovered smoggy shots in PSE with a bit of work but you can get strange colour shifts.

Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 4:16 PM   #3

Bob what about a haze filter.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 4:34 PM   #4

Haze filters are meant for film cameras and remove UV and some blue. Very little effect for digital but they do have a perceptable colour cast compared to a UV filter..

The only filters you need for digital are polarizer, neutral density and graduated neutral density. There are heated arguments about using UV filters for lens protection so let's not go there!

Old Mar 25, 2007, 4:35 PM   #5

A haze filter is a UV filter. It filters out excess UV. But today most of what we see as haze is actually smog and (unfortunately) no filter can remove that.

However a UV filter can be left on the lens at all times and can help protect the front element of the lens. Now there are some who will say no to that. I have been taking photos for over 40 years and have always used a UV filter on all my lenses without any problems at all.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 5:06 PM   #6

Than what type of filter I would use during mid day sun?
Old Mar 25, 2007, 7:55 PM   #7

You shouldn't need a filter unless you want a special effect.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 9:13 PM   #8

You may have heard or read that mid-day shooting is not optimal, but that's just because the sun is high in the sky and doesn't produce good shadows. This tends to make the scene look flat and the light harsh. If you find that you don't like the coolish color balance at this time of day, take some shots with your camera's white balance set to Shade, or Cloudy. This will "warm" up the color balance. Many people react more favorably to warmer toned pictures; you might be one of them.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 9:38 PM   #9

Imacer,

I just posted a similar question on the Nikon DSLR forum. Basically asking if there is a filter that acts as "sunglasses" for a lense. I was noticing howvivid and sharpthe afternoon looked outside in sunny Tampa today..... WITH my sunglasses on. But when I took them off, the day was duller and flat like my photos would come out. Maybe I just haven't learned how to set upa sunny day shot. I will try to apply some of Grant's ideas. But if I hear of afilter that is "sunglasses for cameras", I'll let you know.:-)

Camalot
camalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 3:04 AM   #10

Hello Folks!

Here attached photo of my two ONLY filters brand & type that I use with all my lenses

Peace,

Alex 007:|
Attached Images

Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote