Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 28, 2007, 4:37 PM   #1

For Red Eye Reduction, many cameras will use several bursts of flash. Some cameras use a steady beam of yellow/orange light. Both methods should make the pupils smaller, hopefully eliminating RedEye.

I'm just wondering which method is best? It would seem that a con of the flash-bursts is that it is more likely to cause people to blink. What else do you guys think?

I want a new ultracompact camera, I have a big problem with RedEye, so I'm trying to figure out which is best.
habassa5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2007, 4:41 PM   #2

My personal feeling is that most red eye reduction methods cause the subject to blink and or squint and end up ruining most photos.

The ONLY surefire red eye removal technique is to use an off camera flash.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 4:43 PM   #3

amazingthailand wrote:
Quote:
My personal feeling is that most red eye reduction methods cause the subject to blink and or squint and end up ruining most photos.

The ONLY surefire red eye removal technique is to use an off camera flash.
Ditto.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 4:50 PM   #4

I hear you guys, but in this case I simply requirean ultracompact party-cam. An External flash is not an option. I realize it isn't perfect, but I'm just looking for the best method given that requirement -- pros/cons betweenthe steady yellow beam vs. the flash-bursts.
habassa5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 5:35 PM   #5
Administrator

habassa5 wrote:
Quote:
I want a new ultracompact camera, I have a big problem with RedEye, so I'm trying to figure out which is best.
I real good image editor and some practice removing redeye is one way. :-)

Actually, the free Irfanview seems to work as well as most any of the tools around for a "quick fix". Instead of the regular redeye reduction menu choice, select "Image>Effects Browser>Redeye Reduction" and you can vary the amount applied, while seeing a preview of how your choices are impacting the selected area to fix.

I've got a little pocket camera with "demon eye", and it can be pretty tough to get rid of when it gets really bad (that burned out yellow/white you sometimes get, versus the more common orange/red that most editors are looking for with their standard "quick fix" tools).

But, the convenience of a pocket camera is nice to have. Personally, I'd go with both... a subcompact that you can always have with you, as well as a larger camera that can use an external flash located as far away from the lens as possible. No one choice is going to be perfect for all conditions. But, in some cases, you may not feel like bringing a larger camera along, and the compromises in image quality may be worth it to you.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 6:03 PM   #6
Administrator

habassa5 wrote:
Quote:
I realize it isn't perfect, but I'm just looking for the best method given that requirement -- pros/cons betweenthe steady yellow beam vs. the flash-bursts.
Turn 'em all off and use an editor is my way of going about it. I don't like the change in facial expressions using any type of redeye reduction system in the camera.

I feel the exact same way about autofocus assist lamps, too. I don't use 'em because it ruins the candid nature of the shots if someone sees the assist lamp. If the camera can't focus in the light I'm shooting in, I'll go manual focus instead. lol But, most pocket cameras don't have manual focus (mine has preset fixed focus distances that are very simple to use with a flick of a controller button).

I've probably got the one of the worse pocket cameras in the world for redeye (although I wouldn't trade it for a different one), and that's what I do (turn off the redeye reduction, which is a flash in my case). Then, use an image editor to fix it when needed (and it often is needed).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2007, 10:14 PM   #7

I find if I tell people the camera will double flash they usually won't blink (this is when I'm taking photos for thumbnails in a web site.) My family gathering shots it's generally not a problem because I rarely shoot with people looking directly at the camera.

A good redeye editing program you might already have available in a work/office environment is Microsoft Office Photo Manager. The rest of that program isn't very capable but the redeye editing is very good.

Thanks JimC for the IrfanView suggestion. I'm a long time fan of that program but have never tried that function. Will try at the next oportunity.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 3:25 AM   #8

amazingthailand wrote:
Quote:
Not to mention (especially flash burst) is HIGHLY annoying to others in the surrounding area. A flash is annoying enough without the pre picture light show. Especially when multiple cameras in the same place.

And unfortunately most P&S cameras have it as the default flash setting

I prefer to take care of it after if necessary, I also hate the shutter delay it causes.

And while it is available on most DSLR's I don't think I have ever seen a DSLR owner use it.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 12:53 PM   #9

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
amazingthailand wrote:
Quote:
Not to mention (especially flash burst) is HIGHLY annoying to others in the surrounding area. A flash is annoying enough without the pre picture light show. Especially when multiple cameras in the same place.

And unfortunately most P&S cameras have it as the default flash setting

I prefer to take care of it after if necessary, I also hate the shutter delay it causes.

And while it is available on most DSLR's I don't think I have ever seen a DSLR owner use it.
Annoyance depends on perspective. All the folks with 3-6 MP P&S and advance camera phones don't tend to object to the double flash because they're all doing it, even of each other. On the other hand folks that don't want their picture taken at all really object. The folks shooting DSLRs or other advanced cameras may be trying to use available light so folks using flash are a problem to begin with.

By the same token the DSLR users are probably set up to post-process anyway so editing red-eye is no big deal. The 3-6 MP P&S folks aren't set up to routinely edit and a goodly number don't want to so having the camera take care of the problem is preferred.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 1:06 PM   #10

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
The 3-6 MP P&S folks aren't set up to routinely edit and a goodly number don't want to so having the camera take care of the problem is preferred.
The problem is - as the various responses state - there is no good/reliable in-camera red-eye reduction method. Various methods work great if you have one subject and they're looking right at the camera for whatever red-eye function that takes place (and don't look away after the red-eye flash if that's what you're using) - but that's not the reality for most people. So, given that in-camera reduction is unrerliable and said crowd can't / won't use external flash the only other option is post-processing.

So, you/they can choose between the two evils - accept red-eye or learn to post process.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote