Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 30, 2007, 3:14 PM   #1

Is there a difference in quality whether you use the in camera b&w function or post developing b&w in the computer? Im am using an olympus e500 and mostly use adobe lightroom. thanks!
batrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2007, 3:49 PM   #2

If you use your camera to capture a color image, and convert it to B&W in post processing, if you don't like it, you can undo.

If you use your camera to capture a B&W image, and you don't like it, what can you do?

Also, post processing uses the processor in your computer, which will run rings around the processor in your camera, so it will probably be done better in post processing than in the camera. (The same goes for sepia tones as well.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 4:16 PM   #3

Also many cameras only use one channel usually green to do the B&W image, making shooting under redish or bluish light difficult if not impossible.

Also with good editing programs you can turn all the RG&B channels B&W and you can then balance them individually, and there by be able to recreate virtually any B&W filter effect with out the cost of buying that carrying them around and swapping them on and off.

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 6:04 PM   #4

completly answered. thanks toyou both
batrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 6:18 PM   #5

no doubt that post processing in maybe better. One thing that shooting in b&w can do is teach you to see in b&w at least when you are first starting out. With the instant review you can see just what the image really looks like in black and white and you can see that that red flower and the green leaves look pretty much the same in black and white. Also if you shoot in RAW mode you still capture all the colors of the image and you can convert that b&w image to color in post processing. I used to shoot a lot of b&w film using different colored filters, even though most of the time these days I shoot color and convert in pp I still break out the filters and shoot b&w just because it is still a lot of fun.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2007, 10:46 PM   #6

Caboose wrote:
Quote:
One thing that shooting in b&w can do is teach you to see in b&w at least when you are first starting out. With the instant review you can see just what the image really looks like in black and white
I do that now and then, but I look at in B&W play preview I rarely save them... but still post process elsewhere.

And now that I think about it B&W on my Pen. K10D is a play mode conversion tool only, you can't actually shoot B&W.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote