Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 21, 2003, 1:23 PM   #1

Default fuji/olympus/pentax??? Which camera?! HELP ME!!!

Hi,
I've already posted this message on the newbie forum, so sorry if you're reading this twice, but I need as much imput as possible! I'm trying to hunt down my ideal first digital camera and it's driving me mad not being able to decide :evil:
I've been researching, and I'm interested in a few: the fuji a303, olympus c-350/d-560 (same??) olympus 300 and pentax 33L, but suggestions of other cameras are more than welcome
I'm looking for:
* at least 3 mp
* GREAT quality photos
* style 8)
* easy to use (but with good features)
* good all rounder
* not too expensive (roughly same price range as those mentioned above)

Please help me!!
Thanks in advance.
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2003, 4:53 PM   #2
SSD

Hi
I know how hard it is to find the perfect digicam. I spent months researching. Sometimes you have to give up some features for others that are more important to you. I have yet to find the digicam with all of the features I want. The closest I found was the canon A70. I brag a lot about this camera on the forums and I am not trying to push what I like on anyone, but this camera has so much in a small package I can't help but love it.
This is a 3 MP camera. The price has been reduced recently to $279 at www.bhphotovideo.com Or $299 at Ritz and Wolf Camera.

One of my favorite features about this camera is I can select the ISO (50, 100, 200 and 400). Or if I leave it in auto setting, it chooses the ISO for me. I like leaving it on ISO 50 most of the time and I enjoy being able to have this feature.

One of my requirements is I want a small camera that I can easily carry anywhere. The A70 fits this bill. It is not tiny like the Pentax optio S, but much easier to carry around than my Fuji s602. It can be used in full auto or I can use the manual settings when a certain subject requires. I have gotten a lot of great pics from this camera and have no complaints. I really like the low light focus assist beam because I always seem to be taking low light pics, and this helps the camera focus a lot faster than my other cams that do not have this feature.
Ok, enough of my rambling. I hope this helps you out some. One thing I did to help me decide was to go to the camera store and hold the cameras myself and take some instore pics with them. The salesperson even let me print some of the pics from each camera for comparison.
Good Luck!
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2003, 11:46 PM   #3
NTT

I would stay away from the Pentax. Either one of the Olympus or Fuji would make a good choice.

Although, they're similar in features, one difference that I've noticed is the type of batteries it uses. Digicams eat up batteries quite fast. The Fuji uses 2 AA batteries which allows you to purchare rechargeable ones for quite inexpensively. It will save you some money in a long run and they're easy to find.
NTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2003, 10:15 AM   #4

Thanks for your input! A lot of people say the A70 is a good camera, so I'll have to look in to it further. I was also wondering about the batteries too-I was thinking whether to go for the rechargable ones, so I think I will.
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2003, 6:01 PM   #5

Default If you want small go with Canon S400

A70 is good camera but to big to be used all the time. I like my S400, same canon brains, without all the manual stuff though, but super small.
lukester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2003, 1:29 AM   #6
NTT

It depends on your preferences. Lukester01 is right if you prefer the small size but a large size camera has the advantage of giving you a bit more stability while shooting.

I have an HP Photosmart 850 and it's almost the same size as an SLR. I love the size because I have long fingers and it allows me to have a better grip on the camera. Not to mention, I also have a weak arm and its weight helps me to better stabilizing the camera while shooting.

Again, it all depends on what you're comfortable with.
NTT is offline   Reply With Quote