Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 4, 2007, 2:04 PM   #1

Hello,

I am not sure if what I am looking for exists, but does anyone know of a small point and shoot digital camera that has an AV IN jack? I use a treetop peeper for work that shows images on a lcd screen but cannot capture the images. It has cables and jacks for AV OUT and if I could hook that up to a small digital camera that is easy to carry around in the field, I would be able to capture the images from the screen.

Thanks for your help!

K

cross-posted to Accessories
maybesparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2007, 5:14 PM   #2

You may need to look at a video camcorder for what you need.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 5:13 AM   #3

Yeah don't know of any still cameras that do that, even those with a movie mode.
(Except buy uploading finished JPG files.)

And not ALL video cameras do either, but a lot do.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 2:47 PM   #4

Hmmm, thanks. I though that might be the case. However a video camera is not in my budget and I want something small I can fit in my pocket. I have enough gear as it is to carry around! Ah well, I guess it is not meant to be.

Thanks,

K
Old Apr 7, 2007, 12:40 AM   #5

The usual way of doing what you wish, is just about the reverse. Using the AV out, and a remote control, the camera is mounted on a pole, and the lcd monitor used to view what the camera sees. Don't know if what you have is adaptable to this method or not. Check the remote control forum for suggestions.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 3:16 PM   #6

I think a small laptop computer with video capture card might work better.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 4:27 PM   #7

That is essentially what we have - a very small camera that fits in tree cavities and is transmitted either wirelessly or via wire to the LCD screen. The problem being, the LCD screen only shows live images and does not record anything. No computer. This is great for just viewing our nests but if we want to make a book of in-nest photos for aging chicks we cannot get pictures off the camera. The peeper camera system is quite expensive so we don't want to mess with the wiring and the reciever, and since the LCD has an AV out, we firgured this would be the best way to get a still image captured. We have found some pretty interesting things in the cavities, so it would be great to document this other than taking photos of the LCD!

We would prefer not to carry a laptop with us, since we are hacking through bush and over logs to get to our nests. Also, leaving one in the vehicle while out nest searching is just asking for trouble. Be it theft or a hot truck.

Thanks all for the suggestions, again. Were I in a civilized situation, all of these would probably work, however, field conditions tend to make things difficult. Looks like it won't be a possibility this field season. We'll have to look into buying the peeper set up that actually does take photos. Though it is very expensive.

This is the system we use if anyone is interested: http://www.sandpipertech.com/

Thanks,

K
Old Apr 10, 2007, 5:02 PM   #8

i have a small spy cam like one on that site, wirelees transmitter built in, it works off a 9v battery and transmits to reciver and image can be viewed on a lcd it cost £30 over here in england.

i see no mention of price on that site.

anyway i think ur best option for the pics could be something i have tried.

olympus studio and a laptop, i know u dont want to use one but u can see what your camera sees and then capture the image on your hard drive, it uses usb for connection and u can get very long cables over here, as a lappy as about a 14" screen u will get a good view of what your camera sees also.

there are some very neat compact laptops that u can easyly pop into a backpack and car about

software only works with e-series olympus camers though

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/20...al_Version.htm

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote