Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 22, 2003, 1:30 PM   #1

Default Newbie A70 vs C730uz

Hey all,
I've been scanning this post for a while and just wanted to say good job to all.Its a great outlet to be able to check out.
Now down to business.....I have used only one digicam (Canon A40) and loved it.Only drawback I had was the zoom or lack of it!
I turned my attention to the Olympus C7xx line now.
My question is this could I buy a Canon A40 or better yet an A70 and attach a zoom lense to it? In Canada I can get an A70 for $499 whereas an Olympus 730 is $699. So for $200 could I not buy a half decent zoom lense and attach it to the camera I'm used to??
Maybe buying the C730 would be better because it is designed for an ultra zoom. For even further confusion I noticed the HP 830 (I believe)...Is this camera the same quality as say an Oly c730???
Any advice would be appreciated

Thanx,
Wayne
slickShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2003, 7:16 AM   #2

I would shop around a little more for the A70. Looking up a currency converter on Google, I find that you are finding the A70 for $361 US. I bought mine in a camera shop for $299 US, or $413 Canadian. They can also be found online from reputable sites for $270 US, or $372 Canadian. That's 127 canadian $ less.

Add to that the $20 US Converter (27.63 Canadian), and the teleconverter, $99 US, 137$ Canadian, and your looking at 537 Canadian dollars. That's still better than the $699 for the Oly. Of course, that may not be a good price either.

I do love my A70, but I can't afford the tele converter. The Oly may be more suited for your needs, as it is designed for the long zoom as you say.
Melboz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2003, 1:00 PM   #3

Default Re: Newbie A70 vs C730uz

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickShooter
Hey all,
I've been scanning this post for a while and just wanted to say good job to all.Its a great outlet to be able to check out.
Now down to business.....I have used only one digicam (Canon A40) and loved it.Only drawback I had was the zoom or lack of it!
I turned my attention to the Olympus C7xx line now.
My question is this could I buy a Canon A40 or better yet an A70 and attach a zoom lense to it? In Canada I can get an A70 for $499 whereas an Olympus 730 is $699. So for $200 could I not buy a half decent zoom lense and attach it to the camera I'm used to??
Maybe buying the C730 would be better because it is designed for an ultra zoom. For even further confusion I noticed the HP 830 (I believe)...Is this camera the same quality as say an Oly c730???
Any advice would be appreciated

They are very different cameras for a variety of reasons. Try out both before deciding.

First, neither uses interchangeable lenses. If you really want a long telephoto, the Olympus is your animal. However, be advised that the difference is not solely in the lens. It is very hard to make an optical viewfinder for a 10/1 zoom ratio so they don't. The viewfinder on the 730 is a ccd display. Try it to see if you like it. I can live with mine, but it is REALLY different from my other cameras with optical viewfinders and I don't like it near as well -- for those purposes.

The Olympus has a fine lens and very good color rendition, but you will get some magenta highlights on objects in bright sun.

The Olympus produces great pictures at an ISO equivalent of 100, but starts to pick up noise fast by 200 and is unusable over that figure IMHO.

The 730 suffers from shutter lag of seemingly infinite proportions (along with all the other point and shoot cameras that use the ccd for focussing). Don't try to shoot auto races with it -- it is just too frustrating.

In the long run, only you can decide what will fill your needs, but I repeat, try both before buying...

<TED>
Thanx,
Wayne
tedj101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2003, 7:44 PM   #4

You can't do that ... currency value is useless ...... electrical goods in the US are very cheap ... in Canada more expensive and in Australia (our dollar is the same as canada) electrical equipment is DISCARECEFULLY priced at 2.5 times that of the AMericans. We get REAMED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melboz99
I would shop around a little more for the A70. Looking up a currency converter on Google, I find that you are finding the A70 for $361 US. I bought mine in a camera shop for $299 US, or $413 Canadian. They can also be found online from reputable sites for $270 US, or $372 Canadian. That's 127 canadian $ less.

Add to that the $20 US Converter (27.63 Canadian), and the teleconverter, $99 US, 137$ Canadian, and your looking at 537 Canadian dollars. That's still better than the $699 for the Oly. Of course, that may not be a good price either.

I do love my A70, but I can't afford the tele converter. The Oly may be more suited for your needs, as it is designed for the long zoom as you say.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote