Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 22, 2003, 3:16 PM   #1

Default Fuji s602 vs Minolta dimage 7i...and now also Olympus C-750

Why is fuji winning this battle?
The minolta has more megapixels and a higher zoom.

I read that the minolta eats up batteries really fast, and I also read that the s602 takes over saturated dark pictures.

I see that alot of people at this forum have the s602 and all of them seem very happy with it.

Can you take decent macro photoes with it?
How is the battery life with it?

And will the price of this camera fall soon since there is a new one cominng out? Does anyone know about this? Is it worth waiting if one considers buying a fuji s602?
Soundengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2003, 3:21 PM   #2
djb

i tried deleting this post but didn't know how. see my next post.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2003, 3:23 PM   #3
djb

i have a s602z and like it very much. yes, it takes nice macros. my
only beef about it is that i need a much longer zoom. something i
can only get using a dslr or digiscoping. i just can't get close enough to some birds and animals to allow me a really good shot.

dennis
Old Jul 22, 2003, 3:43 PM   #4

Can you take photoes of insects in flowers?
Old Jul 22, 2003, 3:45 PM   #5
djb

the fuji can focus to about 1 cm or maybe closer. it can take closeups of bugs in flowers and butterflies and all sorts of creepy critters.

dennis
Old Jul 22, 2003, 3:55 PM   #6
Boo

Quote:
Can you take decent macro photoes with it?
I can't comment on the Dimage as I've never used one. I have a 602 and I'm very happy with it - after all, I chose it for the features it has and the way it feels and I haven't been disappointed.

I think it takes great macros, with either the inbuilt macro and super macro function, or additional close up rings - I've only got +3, but others have used much greater magnification with stunning results.

I've taken these macro photos in the last few days, you can get closer still with close up rings, but they take more technique and practice due to the lack of DOF:

There are many examples of what the 602 can do in my two portfolios below.

Quote:
How is the battery life with it?
I think it's good - with the higher powered NiMhs, I get a full shoot on one set and with modern fast chargers etc., I've never been inconvenienced by running out of juice.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2003, 4:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb
i have a s602z and like it very much. yes, it takes nice macros. my
only beef about it is that i need a much longer zoom. something i
can only get using a dslr or digiscoping. i just can't get close enough to some birds and animals to allow me a really good shot.
Have you looked at the Oly C-7x0 series of cameras? The current models 740/750 have the following specs:

Optical Zoom: 38 – 380mm (35mm equivalent)
Macro mode: 2.8"–24" (7 cm – 60 cm)
Super Macro mode: 1.2"–2.8" (3 cm – 7 cm)

Another alternative with your s602 is to add a filter tube adapter http://www.2filter.com/prices/products/digitubes.html and get a teleconverter (I've seen up to 5x used with the Oly C-2100 camera to convert the 380mm to 1900mm).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2003, 4:46 PM   #8
djb

Mike, since i have the s602 and it's only a couple months old i am not considering another camera for quite a while. that's unless, i come into a lot of money. i have the adapter tube and filters. i really would like at least a 2x teleconverter. 5x would be nice but, a good one would be quite expensive. right now i don't have a lot of time for taking pictures. i try but, just don't get to do it lately.

dennis
Old Jul 22, 2003, 5:16 PM   #9

I checked the specifications for the Olympus c-750 and it had a similar specification to the s602. A main difference is that the apeture range is smaller for the olympus and the shutter speed is not as fast. Apart from that it uses Xd cards which I have alot of already.

But would the Olympus be a better choice?

I like to get in close to things...as well as having blurry backgrounds when I am photographing somehting to be emphasised.

What do you think?
Old Jul 22, 2003, 5:34 PM   #10
Boo

Cameras are very personal to each user, to the size of their hands, the weight they feel comfortable handling, their finger reach relative to the function buttons they must access. The features of each camera in any given price bracket in the current climate will be very comparable and only you can decide which of the models you can afford, will suit the way you want to work and the features you like.

Most of all, you must pick up each camera that you've shortlisted and decide which one you like the look and feel of in your hands - I suspect you'll decide pretty quickly once you handle them - I discarded potentials within seconds on that basis alone. I loved the way the 602 felt instantly and once I'd had it in my hands, I owned it in short order. I just knew it was the one for me. No one can tell you which will suit you better.

Further to my earlier photos, if you like close up photos with reduced DOF, the 602 with close up rings can achieve exactly that, which is more to do with photographic technique than the camera particularly:

Boo is offline   Reply With Quote