Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 22, 2003, 5:40 PM   #1

Default Looking For a New Digital Camera

I'm saving up to get a nice new digital camera...
I want something along the lines of the following:
Take nice and clear night time shots
Zoom in a whole bunch optically
Take very high quality pictures
Will last me a long time
Has USB connection

I'm looking to spend no more than $1000 canadian dollars on it. Anyone have any ideas?
Explicit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2003, 6:02 PM   #2

Hi Explicit,
You might start your search by reading an earlier thread here started by Picture Taker: "Could use help deciding on a camera"
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=12149
You have a bit higher "price ceiling" than Picture Taker had decided upon, which may open the door for other suggestions, not the least of which may be the Oly E10 or a bit higher in price, the E20. Hope you get some well informed responses. Curt
Digeeedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2003, 7:10 PM   #3

I don't have time to read it all, maybe later... But the examples that you show look really nice, which cameras were used and are they any good for nigh shots?

EDIT:
I had some time to read all the stuff you said there, very interesting... Right now that Olympus c-750 is looking very good, and it seems to have a very nice shutter lag of 0.07 MS when you use the teqnique stated...

What is said below is that the c-750 isn't very good for action shots... I will probably be doing some action, so will this be a major issue? The 10X optical zoom seems very nice, I like how you can take a photo from so far away and still have it looking crystal clear.

My second issue is this, will the c-750 be any good at night, it is said that the AF doesn't work in low light conditions, does this mean that the images will come out blurry if I take night shots?

I have only begun my research today, but the c-750 is already looking great! I'm going to read Steve's review on it to gain some more insight...

Can you think of any cameras that have the zoom capabilities of the c-750 but are better at action shots? and even night shots? Am I asking too much to have a well rounded do anything camera?

Sorry for amount of questions, I hope you wont mind replying...
Old Jul 23, 2003, 5:14 PM   #4

I had considered the C750 but decided against it because the lens is not stabilized. I'm not steady enough with the lens zoomed to get good shots without the stabilization, which means I'd have to lug around a tripod all the time.

I finally decided on the Panasonic DMC-FZ1. It has a 12x stabilized optical zoom. It's "only" 2 megapixels which many people don't care for, but since I very rarely print pictures (mostly photographing for web sites or CD photo albums) it doesn't make a difference to me.

Unfortunately it doesn't have a good low light focus, but with a little work I've been getting some satisfactory results. (I don't have any of my indoor shots online yet, but here are some of my outdoor photos: http://www.joannesplace.com/albums/fz1/index.html)

Oh, and it's *fantastic* at action shots... go to the Pansonic forum here and check out some of the albums that have been posted!
flakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2003, 8:26 PM   #5

flakes: thanks for the reply, this camera seems really nice, I really like the 12X zoom, and that it can take nice action shots, since the low light shots aren't a priority I think I'll look into this one a bit more as well! Thanks
Old Jul 24, 2003, 10:28 PM   #6

I'm really starting to like this panasonic as well, although it's 2 Megapixels are noticeable on Steve's sample pictures, the text on the spray can is a little pixelated... How much of a difference is the stabalized lens compared to the C750? And what is the reason that the panasonic is better at action than the oly?

Steve's review says this about the Panasonic "the user cannot directly control the shutter speed or aperture" is this bad?
Old Jul 24, 2003, 11:40 PM   #7

Default Oly C Series

The Panosonic you are talking about , from what I have read, does not offer many manual controls, it's basically a point and shoot. The Olympus C-750 you mention has many, many manual controls plus several auto selections. I have a C-730 and it takes very good action shots http://(<a href="http://community.we...itchell100</a> look in the People & places album for the Rugbee shot. You'll have to practice panning the camera with the action. In a series of 3 shots, you'll get one really excellent photo, especially in the multiple sequence mode. For the money, I really like my Olyumpus ( I plan to get a digital SLR sometime in the next year). The Minolta Dimage 7Hi is a better lowlight camera, but it also is bulkier and not quite as intuitive to use - but more manual controls than the Oly. I would not recomend a mostly auto camera - it doesn't give you any room to grow as a photographer, unless you are not really interested in much more that point and shoot. I hope this helps.....Best - john
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2003, 2:19 PM   #8

I really like the big 12X Stabalized zoom on the panasonic though... Any other cameras with big zoom but have better manual controls and are good at action and low light?
Old Jul 25, 2003, 2:59 PM   #9

The Panosonic and Oly C series are the only two I know of that fit your specifications. However, you can buy zoom adapters for just about all other models of fixed lens digital cameras. I'm guessing you won't note a lot of difference between 10x and 12x optical (I rarely shoot at full zoom). I think it comes down to answering this question - Do you want to be a point and shoot picture-taker or do you want to take photos in manual mode relying on your own skill and preferences? Either is fine, just be sure you know the answer before you make the investment in your equipment. Best - john
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2003, 4:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explicit
I really like the big 12X Stabalized zoom on the panasonic though... Any other cameras with big zoom but have better manual controls and are good at action and low light?
From my search notes, cameras with more 200 zoom and more;
5 m Pixels; Minolta Dimage Hi7, Nikon Coolpix 5700 (ooh, aah , but forget it too expensive)

4 m pix; Olympus C-750, 38mm - 380mm, F2.8 - F3.7, ASA 100,200,400, 16sec - 1/1000s Any word on the 1/1000 limit + full zoom and moving subjects? (pictures that cannot be taken with a regular tripod)
4 m pix; HP 850 36mm-300mm, f2.8-f12.4, Asa 100..200, 16sec-1/2000

3 m pix; Fuji S602, 35mm-210mm, F2.8 - F11,15 sec -1/10000, ISO 160-1600
3 m pix; Toshiba M700 , iso 70..400 , 37mm-370mm,f2.8-f8, 16sec..1/2000s, canon lens

2 m pix; Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1, iso 50-400, leica lens, 25mm -420mm, f2.8, 8sec-1/2000s

To my knowledge only Panasonic has an image stabilizer. I don't know if that makes it just a toy gadget or something other cameras should have had. The new Toshiba M700 has a lot of manual control and will be to my opnion a budget slr like digicam.

As said before by others; Zooming beyond 210 mm might require a tripod or so. Zooming in a full framed subject at 2 meg. pixels is better than shooting a field at 4 meg. pixels and cropping the subject afterwards. Also seen elsewhere in Steves forum. Somebody who thought he really needed a 400mm zoom, but afterwards found out he still only used his 200mm zoom lens... Somethings sound tempting but how often will you pack a tripod to shoot birds/celebreties or your photofobic aunt?
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote