Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 7, 2007, 7:22 PM   #1

I've been getting these weird spots on my camera shots. It's only happened lately. I'm no photographer I know, but it's weird and unsatisfying. Here's an example

I have a Sony DSC-T10. Any suggestions on how I would set it to not get these spots? It doesn't look like the lens is dirty and spots occur at very different places all the time. Lower lighting of course, but I do use the flash, and it's indoor home shots mostly. Help appreciated.
zekmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2007, 7:27 PM   #2

Airborne dust particles. The light from your flash is reflecting off them. It's not your camera - it's your air.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 1:00 PM   #3

can also be moisture
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 2:26 AM   #4

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
can also be moisture
Or dried residue of a moisture spot on the lens. (Espc. wide open) that the flash is reflecting back against.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 9:02 PM   #5

You actually have two different types of spots here. The large, bright spot which show on the rug, and the two smaller ones to the left, as well as a few others less visible, are internal reflections from the flash reflected off the console. Others are either dust in the air or on the lens, mixed with other reflections from the ceiling light. This is fairly common with wide open apertures and zoom lenses on digicams, particularly those with less than great anti-reflective coatings.

As to what to do about it: first make sure your lens is clean. Second, if you can, shoot the picture at a larger numerical aperture number, such as f/8.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 6:02 PM   #6

when I said Moisture , I should have said exposed to Humidity, or damp areas causing the lens to show the spots on it? if water or etc

typical pic here? Universal studio's earthquake

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 7:54 PM   #7

This flash shot was taken in a foundry, shortly after someone had sprayed a white powder from an aerosol can. The ghostly circles appearing in the frame are a result of the flash reflecting off the airborne particles. The pics taken before the spray were perfectly clean and free of these artifacts. After about a half an hour, the particles settled and the pictures were clean once again.

the Hun
Attached Images

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote