Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 23, 2003, 10:31 AM   #1

Default Taking Digi pictures from old High School Annual ??

Hello, I am organizing a high school reunion this summer and want to put together a digital slide show from our high school annual.

I intend to take macro shots of the pictures with my Minolta 7Hi and project them using a projector tied to my laptop for the slideshow.

My question is:

When attempting to take pictures(macros) of annual pictures or pictures from a book, what type of lighting might be best to properly illuminate, but reduce glare?

I plan to use my tripod and avoid flash if possible.
I do NOT have any type of studio lighting, but thought I might be able to use some shop or halogen lights through a diffuser like a sheet or something???

I realize I could scan the pictures, but that process doesn't appeal to me for the time involved in scanning, I'd rather center a picture, snap the image and move on.

Any pointers are appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark
Us 5 Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2003, 10:44 AM   #2

I think I'd go the scanner route, unless it's totally impossible to get them on a flatbed. I don't think the workflow would be that much slower and you're guaranteed good resolution/noise for large screen projection. If you're looking at cropping out individuals from group shots, only scanning could give you the resolution to start with and you have to worry less about reflections back from the surface of glossy photos.

If you can do a good job and get some current pics with the camera as well, there might even be a print sale opportunity!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2003, 10:44 AM   #3

Sorry about repeated post, text deleted but post deletion disabled.
Old Jul 23, 2003, 10:44 AM   #4

Sorry about repeated post, text deleted but post deletion disabled.
Old Jul 23, 2003, 10:49 AM   #5

The nice thing about digicams is you can test your ideas quickly.
Try different off-set lighting and check out the results.

Thinking about taking 10 or 12 pictures off a single page,
makes me wonder if a scanner would be faster.?.
One scan per interesting page and you do the cut and paste on the PC.
My scanner eats up a lot of disk space when set for Hi-res and the copied pictures are about as good as the real photo, sometimes better since you can tweak the colors etc.
Sand57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2003, 9:14 PM   #6
lg

If you're just doing a slide show and keystone effect isn't that critical, try standing the subject nearly vertical but tilt it slightly backwards. Then, from about 2.5 feet away, take the picture with flash, but turn the camera upside down so the angle of incidence of the reflected flash is much greater than it would be with just the book tilted slightly away. Experiment until you can take a picture without any flash reflection. The color rendition will be much better using flash than with natural lighting, if you can get it to work. Use zoom to crop pictures and frame shot the best you can-- a matte black background, such as a stiff piece of black felt works nicely if you are photographing snapshots.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2003, 9:17 PM   #7

Default hmmmm

I would highly recommend using a scanner!
steve-o is offline   Reply With Quote