Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 13, 2007, 1:46 PM   #1

Steve, I am going to take a LONG hike this summer, and I dread carrying my Sony Alpha and lens. (How did I ever carry TWO Canon F-1's all over Idaho's trails IN THE OLD DAYS???)

I want to buy a Kodak V705 for WIDE shots of mountains, but I am stumped by something: how do you hold a viewfinder-less camera when you take a picture? I have seen people holding them 'way out in front of their bodies, but that looks very unstable--and this camera doesn't seem to have Image Stabilization in the still-picture mode.

Yes, I already have a pair of BIFOCALS!!!!!

I looked in their on-line manuals and all Kodak says is "compose the picture".

So, how do you hold one in a steady manner?

Thanks!!!!
shelblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2007, 2:19 PM   #2

I suspect the folks holding the camera "way out" are those that need bifocals and are to vain to wear them.

See if you can get any kind of grip while the camera is in the palm of your left hand. If you can, good then if you can get that elbow or upper arm up against something solid, great.

If you can only hold with your fingers/thumbs then try to get either elbow/upper arm against something solid. If you can only get your back against something solid that will still help. Keep your upper arms close to the body.

In any case kneeling or sitting will be steadier than standing.

Of course, if you can arrange for the sun to always shine on you then there'll be plenty of light and this will be moot.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 6:07 PM   #3

Thanks ac.smith for the response, looks suspiciously similar to the advice given for "normal" camera holding over the years. So all those people holding the point-and-shoots about three feet away ARE just too vain for bifocals!!!!!

I actually just tested the left-hand-hold on my Nikon 5400, and it's OK only--my bifocals (actually, graduated lenses) want to look DOWN towards books, computers, etc., rather than AHEAD at a display screen.

And, thanks too to Keoeeit. I am gonna try that right away! (Iusually use a monopod on normal hikes, but that will be too heavy for the Big One.)

shelblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 7:46 PM   #4

Consider an alternative. If you hold a stabilized 28mm equivalent camera like a Canon SD800 with the long side up you can snap three panorama shots and stitch them to a normal 4:3 ratio print with close to the width of the V705. You can probably get about the same 23mm view width for the 3:2 images you are accustomed to from the Alpha. You not only get stabilization but also a viewfinder. I think the panorama mode on the Canon fixes all the shooting parameters like exposure and WB to the first shot in a panorama. You might ask on the Canon board if you are interested. I think Pentax is the only company that can't figure out how to make a panorama mode.

You also don't have the limitation of having to use digital zoom to go from 23mm to 38mm.

Something else you might look at is the small Ultrapod. You can pick them up for less than ten bucks and they are made of an extremely light material. The small Ultrapod is only 2 ounces. If you normally grab something to use as a walking stick it can quickly become a monopod. You can usually find something to sit it on for that great just after sunset shot. http://www.pedcopods.com/instru01.htm

As for holding I can't add anything to what has been said except to try various methods in movie mode at full zoom. You can see how well you are doing by watching the movies. I don't see a lot of difference between a good hold with my elbows tucked in using the LCD and the best hold I can get with the viewfinder on my little pocket camera. I was surprised at that result, but you have to really work at it with the LCD where it seems to come naturally to an experienced photographer using a viewfinder.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 11:02 PM   #5

shelblue wrote:
Quote:
Thanks ac.smith for the response, looks suspiciously similar to the advice given for "normal" camera holding over the years. So all those people holding the point-and-shoots about three feet away ARE just too vain for bifocals!!!!!

A friend of my wife and I wanted a picture of us with her Nikon P&S (770 I think) and was literally holding the camera at arms length with her fingertips. My wife asked were her glasses were. Her answer was she didn't wear them usually, she was too vain. I suggested she use the optical finder, which she did after I showed it to her. Her first comment was "I didn't know that was there." and her second comment was "Oh, I can see now." This was someone who was fairly accomplished with 35mm SLRs before they had auto functions.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote