Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 17, 2007, 12:27 PM   #1

Earlier this month, market digital camera market shares were announced as were DSLR body market shares. Here are the DSLR market shares by the 4 major players. Market shares were calculated based on body shipments (point of sale data is probably not available to the public). Also, there was no information regarding lenses or peripherals - just the bodies. Here are the numbers (the first number is the 2006market shareand the second number is 2005 maret share)

Canon 46.7 49.5
Nikon 33.0 33.7
Sony6.2 N/A
Olympus5.9 5.7
Pentax 5.4 4.6

The biggest surprise to me was that Sony already has the #3 spot with just one camera offering (even if it was built upon with knowledge of the KM line). Not a bad start. Also of note the bottom 3 are chipping away at Canon's dominance of the market - which is also good. The more market share they take the more Canon and Nikon are forced to inovate and the more the bottom 3 can increase their product offering and availability.

You can see a summary of the information above in the news archive on steves-digicams (dated 4/3).

Any other thoughts on the topic?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2007, 12:36 PM   #2
Administrator

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
The biggest surprise to me was that Sony already has the #3 spot with just one camera offering (even if it was built upon with knowledge of the KM line). Not a bad start.
Also, keep in mind that the DSLR-A100 wasn't launched until June of last year, either (it's not like it was available for the full 12 month reporting period).

I suspect Sales are a bit weaker than anticipated now that the competition has heated up some more. Also, cameras shipped does not necessarily mean cameras sold.

Once Sony launches more DSLR models and lenses, it might get pretty interesting. Only time will tell.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2007, 12:39 PM   #3

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Also, cameras shipped does not necessarily mean cameras sold.
Absolutely true - But I don't think the various manufacturers share their POS or sell-thru data with any outside agencies so shipments are probably the only metric available.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2007, 6:12 PM   #4
NHL

Also note that Nikon, Sony and Pentax (+ Samsung) all use the Sony's manufactured sensors - Gaining here (add all the manufacturers using Sony) release some cost pressure on new sensor developments...

-> Just witness the latest crop of 10.2MP dSLRs they were all released 6 months to a year ahead of the XTi. My bet is Sony (Their 12.5Mp in the D2X is more than a year old) is already working on the next generation.

This next season should be interesting... :-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2007, 2:43 AM   #5

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
The biggest surprise to me was that Sony already has the #3 spot with just one camera offering (even if it was built upon with knowledge of the KM line).
WHY does that surprise you???

Some people just think of nothing but SONY, if the choice is there (or some other MASS brand), and nothing else..... no one does everything well.

If bodyy IS/SR is your criterial (unless existing M/KM lens inventory) the the Pentax K's (especially 10D) are far better cameras/values than the SONY A-100.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2007, 2:53 AM   #6

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Also, cameras shipped does not necessarily mean cameras sold.
All I know is how hard it was to get my Pentax K10D, more than a month and a half after release....

I doubt now if they are much more than keeping pace.

Similar cameras and about the same share..... But SONY's manufacturing/resource capacity is how many 100X Pentax's????

Probably also translates to how many S A100's are just piled on shelves right now? So if anything I would say the Pentax number is accurate and SONY's may well be inflated some.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote