Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 18, 2007, 12:34 PM   #1

calibrate your monitors? Is this a must? I don't do muchprinting at all. The one time I did the print looked totally different than my monitor.I alsonoticed my photo's look a bit brighter, on the monitor,at work and on my desktop at homethan on my laptop. Is it worth itto pick up a calibrating program and which do you recommend? Thanks guys!

Chris
cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2007, 4:26 PM   #2

If you spend a lot of time and effort post-processing, then you should calibrate your monitor.

But because the human eye interprets reflected colorandtransmitted color differently, calibrating your monitoris a significant task, the results of which you may never actually be satisfied with.

I just use the ICC profiles for my monitors and printers, and so far, I've been happy with the results.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 9:22 AM   #3

Thanks TCav!
Old Apr 19, 2007, 11:43 AM   #4

Some printers come with quite good ICC profiles... at leader in this has been Epson, althought I *hope* others have caught on that this helps sell their printers! I don't know many people that profile their own printers (although I do know some who do.)

Monitor profiling is a different beast, and I recommend it (like TCav says.) If you want to raise the probability that the image will look the same on other profiled system then you should do it.

Of course, the majority of systems are *not* profiled, so when you send an image to someone the changes are very good that it won't look like it did on your monitor. Period.

So it goes.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 1:33 PM   #5

Thanks Eric! We have an old HP printer, maybe 4-5 years old,so I'm not sure what I can do with it. Think it might be time for a newprinter :-)

I'll create a ICC profile when I have the time. Do you know if it's difficult to do?

Chris
Old Apr 19, 2007, 1:48 PM   #6

Generally speaking, you download them, sometimes from the manufacturer's website, sometimes from Adobe's website, and sometimes from ICC's website.

There are also utilities to work with your profiles. Some are available at ICC's websiteas well.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 2:57 PM   #7

Thanks TCav! I found a Adobe Gamma folder in my Control Panel. Is this the same...

Old Apr 19, 2007, 5:09 PM   #8

For your monitor, yes.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 6:49 PM   #9

Cool! Thanks again TCav!
Old Apr 19, 2007, 8:20 PM   #10

Adobe Gama isn't a bad program.
For many people it is all they need.

But if you're serious, it isn't really a substitute for getting a real hardware-based profile package and doing it "for real."

Since you've got Adobe Gama, definitely try it and see how it works for you. Doesn't cost you anything but a little time - and it might save you money.

Printer profiles are made for the specific combination of printer, paper & inks. So you should go to HP's web site and see what they offer. If they have any, it will be for papers that are important to them (paper they make or paper that they have a contract to support.) Some paper making companies offer ICC profiles on the web but only for the really popular models of printer. You'll see a lot of support for Epson printers, for example as their photo-quality printers are quite popular.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote