Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 21, 2007, 5:38 AM   #1

I would strongly suggest that all of you who have the capacity to shoot in RAW do so. The latitude potential for future requirements are such that you can always go back to the original files and tweak them using the newest software available, which in the future may be capable of extracting even more of the nuances that our software is capable of doing today. JPEG is like analogue tape. The more you open and adjust the more the degradation.

Just a bit of advice that I feel is crucial for all of your future file manipulation.

Ben
http://www.pressbook.com/homebook.as...&owner_id=5144
benjikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2007, 11:31 AM   #2

That is swell advice for DSLR owners. But some advanced non-DSLRs have exceptionally long cycle times and you lose all burst capability shooting raw.

If you are doing an Ansel Adams waiting for the perfect landscape the 8 to 12 seconds between raw shots on a Fuji S9000 isn't a big deal. But in any dynamic situation you are going to miss half of your shots. I had an old Minolta D7i with a 9 second raw cycle time and found the camera eventually badgered me into using raw only when the camera was on a tripod. Yes, raw shots were much more useful. But the JPGs were infinitely better than the shot I would have missed with raw.

Even for DSLR owners on a long vacation without storage other than cards the JPG versus no shot at all might apply. I know you can have them written to DVDs, but that is sometimes less than convenient in a rain forest.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2007, 1:36 PM   #3

I agree with Slipe. Since I got my DSLR I shoot RAW almost exclusively (I only shoot JPG when I think I'll run out of storage or need a longer burst), but with my Panasonic FZ30 I went back and forth. It can shoot one RAW every 3 seconds which is about as good as it gets for digicams, but that can still be impractical when shooting animals. Also, the camera had such a limited dynamic range that the RAW files pretty much retained as much DR as the JPGs did, and the only real benefit was the easier color correction and noise removal. In fact, shooting an autobracket with JPGs and blending them in Photoshop yielded much sharper results than the RAW could.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2007, 2:17 AM   #4

benjikan wrote:
Quote:
I would strongly suggest that all of you who have the capacity to shoot in RAW do so. The latitude potential for future requirements are such that you can always go back to the original files and tweak them
Quite honestly, with My Pentax K10D, no I really don't.... because it has "on demand RAW or (selectable) "RAW+JPG" record mode.... nice when JPG actually is OK, just dumpe the RAW. (Or vice versa)

The P K10D has a dedicated RAW buttton that is setable either 1 shot, or cont. until pushed to turn off again. When I feel tjhe need for RAW INSURANCE ... yeah just hit the button.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2007, 10:40 AM   #5

IMHO the only time you need to shoot RAW is when it is not possible to get the exposure and white balance exactly right. Since that is the case for just about all shots where you grab the camera out of the bag to shoot the bear in the bird feeder, I have my camera set to RAW+JPEG, aperature priority, auto white balance when it is put away.

I wasn't joking about the bear in the bird feeder. This was near sunset and the auto color balance didn't do a good job - the bear was blue.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2007, 11:39 AM   #6
Super Moderator

It really depends on the sort of shooting that you do (and for this I'm going to assume we are talking to dSLR owners). When shooting portrait/weddings then RAW is the way, some landscapes I will go for RAW but often not and I never use it and don't know of any who do for sports (95% of all the shooting I do).

For those reading this wondering if RAW is going to help then yes, when you have a lot of detail you want to capture, especially when nearing white or black, then RAW is great. If you can't nail the exposure (difficult lighting etc) RAW is great, portrait/studio work then go for RAW as you will have a lot more control. However ask yourself what do you what the photos for and is the extra work flow going to be beneficial to the finished product..... give it a go and see what you get.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote