Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 2, 2007, 10:22 AM   #11

I must be looking at a different photo from every one else although the EXIF data matches. The under the chin skin tone seems natural to me. Remember the area under the chin is partially illuminated by reflection from the directly illuminated skin on the neck/chest below the chin thereby altering the color balance of that light.

The white of the shoulder strap seems white to me so the overall color balance seems reasonable.

I would concur the several recommendations to lower the ISO. While the 20D had extremely good high ISO noise performance for its generation modern standards don't rate that level of performance as noise free.

Are shadows created by inanimate objects red also?
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 10:28 AM   #12

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
Also, At ISO 800 & F5.6 @1/2000 could be the problem but I really do not think so because that should be within the camera's range to get a proper exposure. I would not like to believe that the Canon 20D will have that much noise at ISO 800.

Ronnie
Ronnie - you are correct. ISO 800 is perfectly within the 20d's operating range. Sure, ISO 400 and 1/1000 would be a better choice (assuming he was consistently getting 1/2000 - with AV mode shutter speeds could have been all over the place).

I would also suggest going with Partial metering - you don't care about the background at all and partial gives more weight to the center of the image than center-weighted average does.

It would be helpful to know:

a. was any filter used? if so take it off

b. What were the in-camera settings for saturation, etc.?

That red-shift shouldn't be a result of high ISO. I have the 20d and shoot a lot at 1600 and 3200. 800 isn't an issue.

Having said all that - I'm with ac.smith - from the small photo included I don't see an over abundance of red.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 11:22 AM   #13

Hi JohnG

What is: Custom Rendered-Custom Process ?????????????

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 12:12 PM   #14

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
Hi JohnG

What is: Custom Rendered-Custom Process ?????????????

Ronnie
no earthly idea. never heard of it. But when I viewed the EXIF of a recent photo, mine said: Custom Rendered: Normal Process

Here's the photo - ISO 800, 1/1000 f2.8 shot with a 20D - minor noise reduction with Noiseware Pro. There are shadows here as well but I don't notice a particular red cast to them.

So, you may be on to something - I just don't know what the heck it refers to.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 1:01 PM   #15

JohnG, Thanks for the comeback,I really like your photograph. RP's data shows that the feature called custom rendered is set to custom process. It probably should be set to NORMAL like you have it. Your color is perfect on my monitor.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 2:12 PM   #16

The only thing I can see on my camera that would be different than a normal setting is that I had the Parameters set to 2? That wasallowing the camera to do a little correction I think. I will set it back to 1 and see how that does this weekend. Anyone have any thought on that?
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote