Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 21, 2007, 1:28 PM   #1

I have been getting red shadows when shooting outside soccer. What in the world am I doing wrong. I shoot a 20D on Aperature most of the time and auto WB. Any help on this would be great.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Also what is the best direction to have the sun in? Back, Face, or side? I am going to shoot some golf and will have time to move for the right angel.
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2007, 1:36 PM   #2

Can you post some examples of what you're describing?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2007, 1:43 PM   #3

I will have to get to my home computer and I will post one.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 3:47 PM   #4

RP33 wrote:
Quote:
Also what is the best direction to have the sun in? Back, Face, or side? I am going to shoot some golf and will have time to move for the right angel.
First, on cloudy days, it doesn't matter. The lighting will be fairly uniform wherever you'll be.

But on sunny days, I prefer to have the sun at my back. That way, the sbject and the background are well lit. But if there are tall trees between fairways, they might cast odd shadows. If the subject is in a shadow like that, there really isn't much you can do about it. If you shoot in RAW, you might be able to salvage a shot here and there.
Old May 1, 2007, 4:45 PM   #5

Sorry it took so long to get a picture here but here is a example of what I am talking about. I get this kind f shadow a lot. Here is a crop of a chin/neck that has this and the rest of the pictuer also has it?
Attached Images

Old May 1, 2007, 5:32 PM   #6

Hi RP33,

I downloaded your picture and found it is full of noise and Jpg. artifacts. It is also extremely RED. I could do nothing with it in CS2. I'll try DXO later.

What is your ISO set at?

I'm not familiar with your Canon camera so I can't tell you how to set it up. I use a Nikon D200. You cannon is a very good camera and I'm sure someone that uses one can guide you on settings.

Ronnie

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 6:35 PM   #7

The EXIF data reports:

Model = Canon EOS 20D
Exposure Time = 1/2000"
F Number = F5.6
Exposure Program = Aperture priority
ISO Speed Ratings = 800
Focal Length = 75mm
Color Space = sRGB
Custom Rendered = Custom process
Exposure Mode = Auto exposure
White Balance = Auto white balance
Scene Capture Type = Normal

Based on the post from Ronnie948, I'd say you've got your ISO set way too high, especially for a daylight shot. That may not correct the problem, but it's the first thing I'd check.
Old May 1, 2007, 9:45 PM   #8

I tried DXO and Lightroom and CS2 to try to save that photo. I could not do anything at all with it.

ISO 800 is to high for your outdoor photographs.

Try ISO 100 or 200, Aperture perfered set the lens at F8. Make certain your exposure compensation is at -0-. also use center weight metering.

I don't know what the "Custom rendered= custom process" feature is on your camera. It may be at a setting you don't want to use.

Maybe TCav can help or you can look in your manual to see if it is set at a setting you don't need.

Ronnie
Old May 1, 2007, 10:07 PM   #9

in ps open "hue and satration" select EDIT:reds and play with the sliders

Or course you dont want to hae to do this all the time but you might save a few you have already shot
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 7:52 AM   #10

Hi tjsnaps,

I tried that along with everything else. The picture RP33 hasis really RED. It looks as though He had a red filter over the lens when shooting the photo. Trying to fix it with hue and saturation just goes to green. There is no other color on his picture file so it seemsthe RED is the only color to work with. I'm thinking that the Item called "Custom RENDERED"="CUSTOM PROCESS" in his EXIF data is a problem. I don't use a canon camera so I don't know what that feature is.

Also, At ISO 800 & F5.6 @1/2000 could be the problem but I really do not think so because that should be within the camera's range to get a proper exposure. I would not like to believe that the Canon 20D will have that much noise at ISO 800.

Ronnie