Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 25, 2003, 5:13 PM   #1

Default Which camera has least amt. of shutter lag??

:? Which digital camera in the 4 to 5MP range has the least amount of shutter lag? I know that the DSLR's are the best but I'm looking for somehting more portable and less expensive. I've owned an Olympus D550Z and the shutter lag killed me, even when depressing the shutter 1/2 way, I missed so many shots.... I want to use the camera for general family use, ie. pictures of the kids (at home and in sports) family gatherings etc. I will be shooting outside and in, so a camera that can focus in low ambient light would be good. Am I looking for something that doesn't exist yet? If all else fails I'll go with the Canon 10D, but I really like the portability of the smaller cameras.

Thanks,

Dan T.
Dan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2003, 6:53 PM   #2

Default I like Canon S400 and I am picky!!!!!!!!!

I have bought and returned 5 cameras because I am so extremely picky about things. And one of my peeves was shutter lag, because I am doing pictures of my kid and he's 2 and doesnt hold still.

here are the cameras I took back and why.

1) Sony DSC-P72. Always got motion blurr, even in sunlight. (it would never choose an ISO higher than 100 in auto) It has lots of noise in indoor shots. Rarely choses the correct settings in auto mode.

2) Canon A60. Too big. Images a little too 'soft'.

3) Minolta Dimage X. Terrible indoor shots! Flash way to overpowering, washed out all color.

4) Fuji F401. Dreaded Shutter lag!! I never got the shot I thought I took. Also it always reset file numbers, so file management was a nightmare. Images too soft due I think to extreme file compression. Also had focus problems if there wasnt a lot of contrast between subject and surroundings.

5) Pentax 450. really sucks indoors, it actually couldnt focus at all in low light!

I have found that the Canon S400 is the best I have found, and am gonna keep this one. Happens to be the most expensive also. Coincidence?

No noticable shutter lag! YAY! Works good indoors. Great color. Seems to take photos at a higher ISO than others, because the only blurred photos have been because I took the shot before the autofocus had locked, havent got any motion blurrs (like other cameras do, even in sunlight!) In fact that seems to be the only fault of the camera is that the autofocus is sometimes slow, only when the subject is moving though, and I think I found a work around. Use the center focus, and focus lock on the ground in front of the moving person, then bring camera up and catch the shot.
lukester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2003, 8:58 PM   #3
djb

remember, shutter lag can be greatly reduced by pressing the shutter button half way to auto focus and expose and hold there. then push the button fully when your ready for the picture.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2003, 2:05 AM   #4
NTT

In addition to what djb posted, it would help also if you get one with continuos shooting capability.
NTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2003, 7:47 AM   #5

Default Re: Which camera has least amt. of shutter lag??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan T
:?owned an Olympus D550Z and the shutter lag killed me, even when depressing the shutter 1/2 way, I missed so many shots....
To my opinion the shutter halfway pressed speeding up is overrated and only good in controlled situations; The subject/scene is posing in front of he camera, or is scheduled to appear any second in front of the camera.

Take also note of the startup time.
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2003, 1:30 PM   #6

My camera has pretty good times, but I don't really know how they compare with other cameras.

I have the Canon powershot S45. It takes 0.7 - 0.9 seconds to autofocus and 0.1 seconds to take the photo. Startup time is 4.2 seconds.
Grand Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2003, 6:20 PM   #7

Dan T - First, assuming you want a SLR-Type camers(TTL viewfinder) their are several options. Though each has advantages and drawbacks. Since your primary concern is lag, let's examine this specific viewpoint among the fastest cameras in that area that are TTL view(reference:imaging-resrouce.com):

Note that times are minimum average best for all cameras according to a standarized test, and will vary an application. Shot to shot cycle times are min. also, and will be longer in successive shots if buffer is not allowed to flush prior. Times are given for a base of reference between cameras, not to expect absolute performance as listed in a real environment.

Minoltah 7Hi
Min. combined AF+shutter lag Total: 0.64
prefocus lag: 0.055
shot to shot cycle time(@ full res jpeg): 1.16
burst(full res): 1.25 fps(9 frames)

Fuji s602
Min. combined AF+shutter lag Total: 0.56
prefocus lag: 0.19
shot to shot cycle time(@ full res jpeg): 0.9
burst(full res): 4.0 fps(5 frames)
NOTES: Has unique 'instant replay-like' burst mode; captures 5fps for 25 frames at a time(buffeirn any 5 at a time), release shutter and camera stores frame from instant shutter released to 1 second back in time 4 frames. ISO up to 1600 avaliable, though only at 1 MP setting.

Olympus E-10
Min. combined AF+shutter lag Total: 0.54
prefocus lag: 0.12
shot to shot cycle time(@ full res jpeg): 1.0
burst(full res): 2.95 fps(5 frames)
NOTES: Has best build quality of any prosumer camera(E-20 has same build quality). Solid aluminum cast/machined chassis/body. Designed originally for professional use. Max. shutter speed available is 1/640th.

Sony F717
Min. combined AF+shutter lag Total: 0.63
prefocus lag: 0.12
shot to shot cycle time(@ full res jpeg): 1.47
burst(full res): 2 fps (3 frames)
NOTES: Uses proprietary memory stick media only.

-Chris
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2003, 9:40 AM   #8
SSD

I have the Fuji S602 and there is no noticable shutter lag with it. The only time I had a small lag was while taking pictures in the very dark Tennesse aquarium. This worked out well though since I used a longer shutter time (1-2 seconds) on a lot of pics, the small lag helped me avoid camera shake in the pictures.

It is definitley the fastest digital camera I have in terms of shutter lag, but with any cam as djb posted, pressing the shutter button halfway to get autofocus will speed things up when you are ready to take the picture.
I hope this helps
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2003, 11:10 AM   #9

the 7Hi in Hi mode does for at 3fps x 9 frames in extra fine (2.5:1 compression lowest jpg comp highest q jpg)
in RAW its 6-7 frames at 3fps

not the quoted 1.25fps. Hi mode takes out the viewfinder refresh.

also the i know of no other camera that uses that low a compression. lower compression higher q image.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2003, 1:52 PM   #10

Default Re: Which camera has least amt. of shutter lag??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan T
:? Which digital camera in the 4 to 5MP range has the least amount of shutter lag? I know that the DSLR's are the best but I'm looking for somehting more portable and less expensive. I've owned an Olympus D550Z and the shutter lag killed me, even when depressing the shutter 1/2 way, I missed so many shots.... I want to use the camera for general family use, ie. pictures of the kids (at home and in sports) family gatherings etc. I will be shooting outside and in, so a camera that can focus in low ambient light would be good. Am I looking for something that doesn't exist yet? If all else fails I'll go with the Canon 10D, but I really like the portability of the smaller cameras.

Thanks,

Dan T.
Dan

I went down this same road and quickly came to the conclusion that the point and shoot cameras just don't make it for sports photography. I finally went to a D100 (somewhat concerned since it is not considered all that fast in comparison to a d1h) and it is just perfect. Acts the same as my film backed Nikons... While it is a big pill to swallow, it's worth it if you can find the cash to get one...
tedj101 is offline   Reply With Quote